Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
moelkhuntr

ELK in MO

24 posts in this topic

Thank you for starting a forum for elk. I think this is great. Won\'t have to drive out west to look and listen. :thumbup::thumbup:
You\'re welcome! ;)

I have hunted in Colorado for several years but my dad has me me beat. He has hunted in Colorado 49 years and I always wanted to take him out there for his 50th trip but he had a go around with a cow last year on Oct. 26th and broke his hip and had to be Air Evac him out so he won\'t be able to stand the trip out there that far. He is 84 and hunted out there, the good years. Maybe next year we can drive over to Peck Ranch and listen to them bugle. Maybe that is how I can repay him.:thumbup::thumbup::thumbup:

I\'m stoked about it! There is a conservation area in Lee\'s Summit that is right next to Old Missouri Town. They have 2 bull elk that they have pinned up with about 20 cows. To sit there in a tree stand and hear them bugle back and forth is one of the coolest things I have ever witnessed.

I am taking an Oral Communication course this semester, and I made my informative speech about Elk Restoration in Missouri! Was a fun speech to present; saw a lot of eyebrows raise in surprise!

They talked about it in my Hunter Ed course last weekend as well. Should be happening soon. I wonder how long it will take before they are roaming freely and will be off the protected list in MO.

I guess it might be a good idea if you like elk. Mostly from what I have heard from other people is they don\'t want elk. It will only be a matter of time before people will be getting killed on the roads by a crossing elk. It\'s fine out west because you can see for miles and miles, not the case here. Some of the folks I have talked too also think its another way for the MDC to make money off of elk tags. The old folks say there is a reason they are on the protected list, they didn\'t want them around and so they aren\'t around. Go figure. Myself I don\'t care one way or another.

i have family up in montana and use to go every year to visit you really dont have the problems like with deer now when driving on some winding mountain rd and all of a sudden their is a moose in the road that kinda scary but i dont think people realize that elk are not like deer in that way plus it was my understanding that they are gonna put in affect failsafes to keep them in a predefined area

While the idea of Elk in Missouri does appeal to me I also have seen a lot of negatives from the same type of project in Arkansas. I have a lot of family there that farms and the lengths which that state have gone through to protect and grow the elk herd have become very intrusive. In some places they have been told how they can use their own land and limited on what they can do on their own land. I hope the MDC does a better job of managing this particular project than our neighbors to the south.

Well I personally am all for it. I am pumped that there is a chance I won\'t have to go all the way out west to kill a big bull elk. Even if it take 20 years before we can hunt them in MO. I\'ll wait. I just hope they make it up my way .

Really for the lot of us that hunt on public land it is great for the MDC to ahve more money, that just means that they can afford better hunting for the state. About the only bad I can see with it would be if they start tearing up farm ground, then there will be a problem with a pretty large group of people.

I am all for MDC making money and Im all for Elk. But when it comes to telling a landowner what he/she can do on her land is another thing. Im not willing to give up freedom for elk. With that being said, until I have reason not t, I trust the MDC to handle this correctly.

Check out a map or aerial photographs of the release site....well, Peck Ranch in general. There\'s almost nothing but timber as far as the eye can see. There\'s almost NO farmland around there.I certainly understand about losing freedoms, though. We lose more and more of those every single day.But I really DO believe that the elk for the most part, are going to be attempting to avoid the higher populated areas. I\'m no expert by far, but as far as the little bits that I\'ve read concerning wild animals out west coming into towns and so forth, it\'s almost always black bears and moose. Someone feel free to correct me if I\'m talking out the \"wrong end\"....lol

Check out a map or aerial photographs of the release site....well, Peck Ranch in general. There\'s almost nothing but timber as far as the eye can see. There\'s almost NO farmland around there.I certainly understand about losing freedoms, though. We lose more and more of those every single day.But I really DO believe that the elk for the most part, are going to be attempting to avoid the higher populated areas. I\'m no expert by far, but as far as the little bits that I\'ve read concerning wild animals out west coming into towns and so forth, it\'s almost always black bears and moose. Someone feel free to correct me if I\'m talking out the \"wrong end\"....lol

I for one am against the elk i own land on 2 sides of peck ranch i plant grass for my cows and horse,s not elk and dont want my fence,s tore down i like to elk hunt too but dont want them on my place,s iv seen what they can do and dont want the gov tellin me what to do on my land and i dont know anybody who wants the elk here i dont know where they got there stats at ...the gov makes them up as they always do

The 67 gun club 44th Annual BanquetThe banquet will be at Roseners, March 5th at 6:00 PM. I hope to see you there. Our speaker will be St. Francois County Conservation Officer Derrick Gant. I’m looking forward to hear his report on the Elk program and his insight on the many reports of Mountain Lion and Bear sightings in Missouri.The restaurant has a great buffet that is well known in the area and includes a wide variety of dinner items. The price for adults is $9.65, children 6-11 $3.85 and children under 5 are free; price does not include beverage

I want to hunt elk So bad, but can\'t afford those out of state tags or the cost of a trip and lodging. Bring them elk to Cole County!!! I\'ll be happy to have them here! Ooohhhh, Elk Steaks cooked rare over an open fire! My tongue is beating my brains out just thinking about them!:thumbup: