Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Woods

I want a muzzle brake!

31 posts in this topic

Was at the range yesterday and very nice fella let me shoot his 7MM ultra mag with a muzzle brake. Shooting hot reloads, kicked less than my 30-06 with the federals! Said it cost him $150 to have it added on, cut the recoil amost in half. Buddy of his in Sullivan did his. I plan on getting one after gun season, save my shoulder. :rock-on:WOODS

I\'ve never owned a rifle with a muzzle break but have fired several. They do indeed reduce felt recoil considerably. Muzzle blast is incredible tho. No problem on the range where one is, or should be, wearing hearing protection. In the hunting woods it\'s pretty intense but it should only last for one round.Vic

better wear hearing protection, even if you shoot it when hunting, those things will blow your eardrums out!! they are just so dang loud, personally i would prefer the kick, course i dont burn up a lot of ammo in my 7mm mag at the range..i actually find the 7mm to not kick anymore than the 06..but thats just me.

Originally posted by LongShot ChicI bet I know someone who could put a muzzle brake of your choice on for you if you\'re interested....;)

Do you all make custom wood stocks? I would like to have one on my 7mm mag savage..real pretty Black Walnut, thin profile, light,bedded and floated.

Originally posted by Passthru

Do you all make custom wood stocks? I would like to have one on my 7mm mag savage..real pretty Black Walnut, thin profile, light,bedded and floated.
Nope, sorry... we just order the parts in and chamber and build the rifles... we buy most of our stocks from McMillan.Wish I could help, though!!

3 simple words for Mr. Woods.....Managed Recoil Shells! ;)I bought a box of the Remington Managed Recoil Shells for my bolt action 30-06 in 125 grains,haven\'t had a chance to shoot them yet but I\'ve heard good comments about them.You may have trouble with them ejecting in an automatic rifle though,not enough recoil to kick out on some guns,if you have a bolt-action Rifle your good to go though! ;)

A good friend of mine has a 300 ultra mag with a custom muzzle break, everyone is right hardly any recoil,but when you pull the trigger you can feel your guts shake, if i am shooting at a deer i do not hear or feel anything.

My father in law has sent a coupel rifles out to \"Magnaport\" and they helped the recoil immensely, and they angle cut the ports so it deflects the sound away from you, and it really isnt noticeably louder than before. It cost him about $150 per gun.

Spend the time to learn to shoot the rifle you have to the utmost extent of its abilities and the load it requires to do so, which far exceed yours, and you will have no need for a muzzle break. You\'ll also be a much better shot on both game and targets. It ain\'t the rifle or scope that make the rifleman.Vic

had one on my ak47....thankfully it was removeable. it was horrible and that was a little 7.62x39 round. i couldnt imagine it on anything bigger

This is a buddy of mine\'s sporterised .303British Lee Enfield Mk 4.I like the modurator, Cuts down on a lot of noise and also lessens the recoil. Doesnt make the gun more accurate though. Point of impact shifts a little higher.Posted Image

Originally posted by sharps4590Spend the time to learn to shoot the rifle you have to the utmost extent of its abilities and the load it requires to do so, which far exceed yours, and you will have no need for a muzzle break. You\'ll also be a much better shot on both game and targets. It ain\'t the rifle or scope that make the rifleman.Vic

I agree. I \'ve had this rifle for almost 15 years, lots of practice and shots taken. It was tack driver for years. Problem is my shoulders have seen better days and I really want to keep the rifle. So I\'m looking to do what I can to keep using it. Angus mentioned Magnaport and I\'ve been told its a better way to go than a muzzle break. Carnivore, whats this about adding weight to the stock? The gun is a bit on the light side. I\'m a bit leary on the low recoil ammo.

Originally posted by PassthruI just think ole woods cant handle a real rifle, he needs to switch over to a red rider bb gun:razzle::razzle::razzle:

Says the OLD man.....:rofl::razzle:

Izak, funny, we have more firearms freedoms than most countrys, yet we are not allowed to have silencers at all, mayb with a license from the ATF, but as an ordinary citizen it is a federal offense to own a silencer or fully automatic weapon without a special license. even then i am not sure a silencer is legal.

PT, thats a bummer. I must say I am a converted fan of silencers. Or rather \"sound modurator\" since its not really silencing the rifle. just lowering the sound level a bit.

These fellas are full of Ideas..http://longrangehunting.com/forums/f19/reducing-felt-recoil-18906/http://www.berettausa.com/communities/hunting/feature_shotgun_141204.htmhttp://www.shotgunreport.com/TechTech/TechnicalTracts/Recoil.html1) A certain percentage change in gun weight will produce an opposite equal percentage change in recoil. For example- If you increase the weight of your gun 10%, you will reduce Free Recoil by about 10%. This relation is not strictly linear, but is a relatively accurate rule for the guns and shells we normally use. Who ever said that mathematics was an exact science had no sense of humor.If that ain\'t enough to experiment with lemme know, I\'ll post more findings.. Good Luck !

If you require that much recoil reduction to enjoy shooting your rifle, you need to go .243,.223 , or .204 what make and model 30-06 rifle do you shoot woods??

I understand. 30 years of big bore rifles have taken their toll on me. I just don\'t enjoy the recoil of a 470 NE or 416 Rigby like I used to. Back to my light rifles for me also!It\'s quite simple to add weight to your stock. Pull off the butt plate, drill a hole and drop lead in the hole. You can either melt lead and pour it in, use bar solder and wrap it in a cloth to reduce noise or fill the hole up with shot. Bear in mind this will upset the balance of the rifle....something I am loath to do, but that\'s me, not you. The added weight will reduce the recoil considerably. In addition, if you don\'t like it, unless you\'ve poured melted lead in the hole, all you have to do is dump it out. The loss of the wood will not make a significant difference in the balance of the rifle.For hunting from ambush sites, ie, tree stands and blinds, the balance shouldn\'t matter at all. For still huting it may make a difference. That all depends on you and what you want.Vic