Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
huntnutsbro

huntnutsbro\'s log

87 posts in this topic

thanks wolf. been tryin to find a good speed internet provider that did not cost me a first child, and when i seen this new phone and asked about it, a light went off in my head. lol so i always had an unlimited plan, so it doesnt cost me anymore than usual. glad to be back on for sure. lookin foward to gettin caught up on whats goin on with the site and in the ozarks woods.

deer season 2011. finally its almost here. lol got me a new bow, got a climber and a ladder stand up, got the field baled this weekend, and seein 3 or 4 different bucks. all very nice! lots of does runnin the place with lots of lil ones on their heals. gonna have to thin the herd of a few does this year. any way, lifes good, back to work again and lookin foward to fighting the skeeters for a place in the trees. my oldest boy is shooting his bow everyday and says he is gonna be the first to put one down, we will see about that! lol. cant wait, stay tuned, hopin to see these big boys in a couple of weeks. need to get me some trail cams so i can keep an eye on them!

deer, deer, everywhere! lol im seeing deer every day since the temps fell off this week. anyone else seein this kind of movement? im seein em all day when im home. have a couple more stands i wanna get up, but im worried about goin into the woods with all the deer cruisin! input on that subject?

well, went out yesterday afternoon, and i have to say i like my stand i have set for a north wind! had a lil 4 pointer behind me for an hour or so, came right up the vally like ive seen the deer do many times! he past me at 12 yds or so. then had 2 does pass me at 25! seen 4 turkeys come thru the woods also. all in all a very nice start to the season. rainin cats and dogs here right now, so, i decided im stayin in today. have to go to work for a few hours tonight, so maybe saturday morning will be dry. till then, happy hunting everyone, and good luck!

well, went out this afternoon, had the same lil buck from opening day come thru at spittin distance. and a few does pass also, just far enough out that some limbs were in the way of a shot. so no red arrow for me yet. lil buck milled around 6 yds in front of me for 5 minutes, then hopped the nieghbors fence and gone. also wanted to mention, wildlife research\' scent killer is some good stuff! i always keep my hunting clothes in a plastic bag, and i always take em off outside, but today i got home from work, no shower, just put on clothes and sprayed down with the scent killer, and that buck was browsing on brush that i had brushed up against on the way in. never picked it up, does crossed the path i come in on also, and nuthin. good stuff!

well, mother nature wasnt on my side tonight! drove as fast as i could home and hit the woods, had a wind in my face the whole way. had deer in the field already, so i had to take it slow and easy across an island in our creek area. got setup in a brushy hole ive used before, wind still comin across the field in my face at this point. was taking my quiver off the bow and bumped it and made a low thud sound, and the 2 does heard it, and didnt run! started right at me. so, im eye to eye with the biggest doe at 25 yds. soon as she turns broadside im gonna draw and let the air out of her, right? wrong, the wind blows and i feel the chill on the back of my neck! switched that quick, and they both smell me and start snortin and runnin! i had her! but mother nature looked to keep her one more day. will be a couple i guess, gotta work 11am to 9pm tomorrow, so wont be back out till friday probably. maybe the deer gods will smile on me then!

well, my brother in law, huntnut sent me a hoyt vectrix xl in 29 inch draw, 70 pound weight. its a nice shootin bow. will have her wrung out and in the woods this weekend! i cant wait. it shoots way better than the browning i have been using for a couple weeks now. thanks bro! cant wait for you to get down here in a couple weeks.

well, huntnut was here this weekend, we seen lots of does, but didnt connect. he brought me a new body armour safety harness, and a nice lil blind! so im hoping to get the wife out with me soon to sit with me while im hunting. if i can find a video camera im gonna see if we can get some film! looks like the weather is gonna start cooperating with deer season finally later this week, and im ready! cant wait.

well, went out yesterday morning, sat in the blind and had lots of deer around. drew on one big doe, but i guess she caught some noise during the draw or somethin and she ran off. 30 minutes later i see some turkeys, and one of them is the boss tom i been seein around here. his beard was draggin on the grass. so i yelped and putt at them a bit and the hens come on down the field edge. the tom was really weary about coming, but he made his way to what i thought was 50 yds, so i took a poke at him. dont know whether i shot over him, or under him, but he jumped about 4 feet off the ground and took off runnin. found my arrow with no blood so it was a clean miss. so, i didnt make it out this morning, and around 4:30 i decide im gonna go sit a bit. and i put on all black this time, shirt, hat, and made a black face mask out of an old black tee shirt. and right at 6 a big doe comes in, she smells where i walked out to get my arrow and follows it right up to the round bale out in front of the blind, she turns behind it, i draw, she steps out from behind it at 25 yds and stops, starein right in the blind window, and i settle the pin and touch off the shot. well, she dropped just enough that the arrow went a couple inches over her back. so, i have to get used to aimin a lil lower. lol but, im happy with the time ive had out there so far. seein lots of deer (all does so far), but its about that time of year! does are responding to callin real good this year. every time i use that lil can somethin comes in. lol but, about every doe in the area has twin fawns, so i figure they are all lookin out for each other. lol :D ready for some more cold frosty mornings!:D:thumbup:

well, i posted this in the whitetail threads, but i finally got to see some bucks tonight. was out tryin to stuff a big archery target that im buildin, and seen some does runnin around the field, and a fork horn chasin a couple. so i snuck across the yard to my shed, went to the window in the back, and thats when my oldest son came out of the house hollerin for me, and they all scattered. so we stood there in the window for 10 minutes or so and, a decent 8 pointer steps out of the woods on the far side of the field, sticks his nose to the ground and starts ziggin around the field. made his way straight across from me and starts lickin some limbs, peein down his back legs, and then pawin the dirt. then he stuck his nose to the ground and headed the direction the does had taken earlier. so its a sign of things to come, got rain comin in in the morning, but i think im still gonna go sit for awhile b4 goin to work at 1. cant wait for the weekend tho!

well guys and gals that might read my journal, i finally got face to face(30 yds lol) with the 8 i been seein here. problem was i could not get drawn on him at that distance. and when he did circle my blind followin a couple does he never stopped. so, im hopefull i will see him again tonight, or better yet sunday when i have a rifle in hand! lol wish me luck.

well, ive been out alot during rifle season, and outta all that time, ive seen one mature buck! had to work today, so didnt get out. gonna go out in the morning till 9:30 to 10, then i have to go to work. not lookin foward to it with the lack of sightings, but there is always the chance that luck will be in the woods too. lol after that im done, sold my bow so im just gonna gun hunt with my 3 boys from now on!

well, ive been out alot during rifle season, and outta all that time, ive seen one mature buck! had to work today, so didnt get out. gonna go out in the morning till 9:30 to 10, then i have to go to work. not lookin foward to it with the lack of sightings, but there is always the chance that luck will be in the woods too. lol after that im done, sold my bow so im just gonna gun hunt with my 3 boys from now on!
Sold your bow:puzzled:...thats the best time in the woods for me...and think of all the time in the woods you will not be able to hunt now. You can still gun hunt with them and bowhunt.

here is what i will be shooting this year, or untill i can afford the new breed archery genetix im wanting. it an 05\'ish McPherson edge, will be my oldest boys bow when i get my new one.

post-76-139589309159_thumb.jpg

post-76-13958930916_thumb.jpg

so, as some of you know i have had ups and downs for a couple of years. but things could not be better now. makin decent money at a job i like, boys are all honor roll students, and the wife wants to start hunting! does it get any better? well it would be if i can ever buy a new(to me) truck like i have been wanting! ;) but, i just got the ok from the wife to buy another blind, hunting clothes, and possibly another camera before season gets here. this is gonna be a good season!

well, getting alot of pics of slick heads! they are in good health from what i can tell. i decided with the lil rains here and there it was time to put some seed out. so i fired up the case, and tore the dirt up a bit. broadcast a mixture of ryegrass, clovers, and t-rape brassicas. just had a lil shower go over, so im in high hopes!put a 10 to 15 yard wide buffer strip around the back sides of our hay field. also got the ok to do a big patch of oats in the back! so i will start that next week.

post-76-139589311412_thumb.jpg

post-76-139589311416_thumb.jpg

post-76-139589311419_thumb.jpg

post-76-139589311426_thumb.jpg

so, i talk to my dad about blinds the other day right? well he always rifle hunts, and uses an old platform stand that is not in good-e-nuff shape to get into anymore, and he says he thinks he has something that we can use. he brings home this huge (guessin 7 foot by 7 foot) home built playhouse! this thing is gonna be killer. we are gonna build a roof on it and camo and brush it in real good. big enough 3 people could hunt out of. gonna get a heater and everything! will post pics when we get it set.

well, the boys got this play house, like 6\' by 6\' wide and 5.5\' tall. and 2.5 foot off the ground. they played in it the day they got it, and it sat for 6 months. my oldest boys said \"dad, this would make a good hunting blind\". i agreed and we hauled it to our spot.set it up and started brushing it in, stretched some outdoor fabric on the back walls. now i just have to finish brushing/camo and get the roof panel on. but! as i stepped out of it today i twisted my ankle somethin fierce! so, im hoping to get back to 100% quick to get this thing finished. its a north north/west wind blind, so we wont be hunting it real quick i dont think. lol alot of south wind left this year!

post-76-13958931254_thumb.jpg

post-76-139589312541_thumb.jpg

post-76-139589312542_thumb.jpg

post-76-139589312543_thumb.jpg