Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dhaverstick

My Wood Lot Kansas Buck

5 posts in this topic

I shot this nice buck Tuesday evening on my buddy's place in Kansas. There is a small wood lot on the northwest corner of the property and I was sitting in a hackberry tree at a place where a field, a horse pasture, and some CRP ground come together. Around 6:30, this buck came out of the field, crossed the wood lot 50 yards in front of me, and was getting ready to enter the CRP. I grunted to him a couple of times and he turned to investigate. When he got close I noticed how white his antlers and face were and that really got me excited because I have never taken a really mature deer before. At 15 yards, he turned broadside to me and started browsing on some leaves. I sent an arrow his way and watched him crash off into the brush. I got down out of my stand, sneaked out of the woods, and met up with my hunting partner, Brian Peterson. We gave the deer a couple of hours before we took up the blood trail. We found him cold and stiff about 75 yards from where I shot him.

Notice his lack of eye guards and roman nose. I thought that was pretty cool and I'm thankful to have taken such a noble animal. He's quartered up in a cooler on my porch right now waiting to be boned out and put away this Saturday. I will honor his spirit by feeding my family with his flesh this winter. Life is good!

Darren

kKH2YK5.jpg

38ZoCaL.jpg

deerslayer likes this