Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bowonly

Bowonly's 2017/18 Hunting Journal

8 posts in this topic

Going to try to keep this up this year.  With 3rd party hosting eliminated from photobucket, not sure how I will post pics though.  God speed to everyone this upcoming hunting season.

10/7/17

Brought my youngest daughter, Calli, on her first hunt of any kind today.  Brought her to the WMA that I basically grew up in for a squirrel hunt opening day.  It was hot and the mosquitoes were bad but she ended up with 2 fox squirrels.  She seemed to have a great time and we built memories that will last a lifetime.  God is great!

10/20/17

Leaving after work today for Pisgah, Iowa to hunt the Loess Hills State Forest for 2 weeks.  Anticipation level is such that I can't concentrate on work today.

10/21/17

Arrived at Pisgah city park and set up camp.  Went into Onawa for church/mass that afternoon.  Will start scouting tomorrow.

10/22/17

Began scouting field edges and areas that I had picked out studying maps that I had ordered earlier in the year.  Deer sign is easy to find.  Hard to decide which area is better than others. Did notice that all acorns from oaks have already dropped.

10/23/17

Scouting continues.  Starting to narrow down some sort of pattern for feeding and traveling/deer movement.  Began setting stands.

10/24/17

Decided to sit a stand that was set up on an oak ridge that showed lots of sign of buck movement through this area....lots of rubs and scrapes.  Along with sign of deer feeding on acorns.  Wind is a little stronger than I like but not long after daylight a young forkhorn buck works his way through the oaks.  A little later I hear crunching in the leaves and look on the next ridge over to see a good buck making his way across the draw onto the ridge I am sitting.  I give him a few grunts to slow him down and possibly work him into shooting range.  He stops and begins working his way toward me but a closer look through the binos reveals he is not what I drove to Iowa for.  Right before I get down for lunch a spike works his way through the oaks cruising.

That afternoon I am sitting in an opening between 2 cedar thickets that borders a standing cornfield.  Saw 1 deer but my movement caught its attention before I could tell if it was a buck or doe.  Thus ends day 1 of my hunt.