Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bowonly

Mark Twain Cedar Creek Unit

4 posts in this topic

Let me start by saying I've been hunting public land in Missouri for the past 7 yrs and have absolutely loved it! So this upcoming year I am planning on changing locations, not because of disappointment in the area we were hunting, just for a change of scenery. Did quite a bit of research and calling around and had decided to give the Mark Twain National Forest Cedar Creek Unit a go. But one thing that is discouraging me , once I got the map in, is the fact that the majority of this area is private land. The public portions of the this section of Mark Twain in Callaway Co are scattered and not very large in area. Should I let this discourage me? Do any of you have any input on the amount of pressure these areas get during the first 2 weeks of November prior to the firearm season? I know the area has lots of potential, I just worry about having lots of company on these small sections of public property. The other 2 areas that are under consideration if this area doesn't work out are Four Rivers CA and the lands surrounding Truman Reservoir. I would greatly appreciate any input. Thank you.
MoHuntress likes this

Well any Public Land gets a lot of Pressure. Just matter of dealing with it.

I know what you mean on Mark Twain. You look at normal State Map looks like thousands of acres in one block only to find it is all broke up. We have Mark Twain Land close to us, I drove over and checked it out. Looked good but if I went I would have to stay in my Tent. I have a Cabin with large areas of Public Land by it and I rather go where I can stay in comfort and hunt.

oneshot

In the 2 CA's I've hunted over the past 7 years, the hunting pressure has actually been minimal in comparison to what I've been used to here in Louisiana.  For those 2 areas I gained insight from people who had hunted them before (both locals and out of staters) and from the Conservation Dept local offices.  I just always like to check ahead of time so that I'm not unpleasantly surprised, or kick myself for not planning and researching some place that may have given me a more pleasurable hunting experience.  I value the advice given by local hunters more so than any other and that is why I pose my questions in the forums that I trust.  There are some forums that are filled with hunters that have a vendetta against out of staters and I tend to refrain from asking for information there.  This forum has always impressed me with the quality of people that visit and comment on topics.  To answer one of the conditional questions that came to mind when I read your post Oneshot, I will be camping and not hoteling.....I am on a limited budget, so amenities are not necessary.

I know I'm a year behind on updating this post, but I wanted to let everyone know that my hunting experience was a pleasant one there.  Won't be there this year due to being selected for Iowa, but in future years I will return.