ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
bowonly

Stockton Lake

Has anyone here done any hunting on the Stockton Lake Managed Lands?  Looking for a change of scenery from hunting Schell/Osage for my trip in 2016.  In particular I am interested in information about hunting pressure prior to the firearms season.  From the few CA's that I have hunted in Missouri I can tell that the potential for running into big bucks is great on all your CA's.  Any information you would be willing to share is greatly appreciated.

Well, if nobody has ever hunted this area, I guess that answers, in a way, any questions I may have about pressure in this area.  LOL!  And, I also understand if you are reluctant to share any info. I've got a year to gather information on this area and another CA I'm contemplating trying out.....Brickyard Hill. 

Here's an update on my research.  Looks like Stockton Lake has been removed from the running.  The 2 front runners are Truman Reservoir managed lands, both COE and MDC.  The Benton Co. area in particular.  And coming in a close second and still under serious consideration is Mark Twain National Forest, Cedar Creek District.  Both areas display the size, type of terrain and limited access that I was looking for.  And the deer population at Truman Reservoir managed lands tends to be much higher, but the trophy potential on the Cedar Creek District of Mark Twain tips the scales equally in it's favor.  The only written research I have not been able to nail down is hunting pressure during the latter part of October and early November prior to the firearms season.  I know they both get hit hard during firearms season, but do many bowhunters brave the long walks to get to some of the farther reaches of these public lands?