Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
bradyman1

Live rabbit trapping for relocation?

6 posts in this topic

I recently purchased a property and I have not seen a single rabbit. I currently live a few miles a way from the new place and I want to relocate some of the bunnies I have now to the new place. I have a have-a-heart trap and a homemade wooden trap with a trip stick. Does anyone have any tips for trapping those wraskly wabbits?

My family and I have made some brush piles for hiding in and there is quite a bit of greens and grass to eat at the new place. There is a feral cat issue but I am working on that also (have-a-heart trap and animal control). Any tips to build a rabbit population? I have 21 acres most of it is wooded.

Sounds like you've got it all figured out.  I think that once you rid your place of the cats, then things will start to improve.  Good luck and be sure and keep us posted. 

use box traps so the animal doesn't get too wired up during transport....  Salt will bring rabbits in too, but u've gotta have the habitat to sustain along with getting rid of the pesky critters that like rabbit....

Ok first there is a reason you don't have Rabbits, they need mostly Food and Cover. We took put couple Logs down, put metal over them then covered with Cedar Branches. Clover is good, Warm Season Grasses and Lespedeza is also good. No Fescue.

Feral Cats can be a problem but I've found most the time anymore is Coyotes. They will eat everyone out of a nest and continue to feed on them while they are young.

Wood Box Traps work great baited with Apple best when Snow is on.

oneshot 

I had probs not catching rabbits in a boxtrap, but did catch one big 'possum with bait. An old timer told me a rabbit won't go in if he can't see a way out and no bait needed unless you want trash ( 'possums and the like).

I promptly removed the end of my box trap and replaced with hardware cloth or small fan grill, quit using bait and started getting rabbits, lots of rabbits. They will chew through the hareware cloth if left unattended too long ( i reccomend once morning and once evening). That's why I started using fan guards. Could make a weave from coat hanger wire as well.

Worked for me, but your milage may vary.