Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dhaverstick

Got my moose arrows done

9 posts in this topic

There hasn't been a lot going on here lately so I thought I would post some photos of the arrows I just finished. These are for the 2015 season in general and my September moose hunt in particular. Yeah, I know they're a little loud but I like an arrow that I  can see and one that I can find easily. I would rather break one as lose one! I chose pink as the primary color because it is one of the few colors that doesn't occur naturally in the fall.

2015Arrows-1_zpsidxajtv1.jpg

I tried several new things on this batch and have been pleased with the results so far. The first thing that I did differently was change my shaft material. I have used ash for a decade or more but it is hard to find now so I got some maple shafts from Forrester Wood Shafts. Kevin has all sorts of neat hardwoods to choose from and he makes an excellent product. The grain was tight on all of the shafts and they were very straight.

The second thing I did for the first time was try my hand at marble cresting. I haven't perfected the technique yet but the results were passable.
2015Arrows-2_zpsorfoshxt.jpg2015Arrows-5_zpswdzu6qei.jpg

I did a little flame cresting on these arrows too. I don't know why more people don't do this. I think it looks really cool.
2015Arrows-3_zpszy8grlg2.jpg2015Arrows-4_zpstkp9aabi.jpg

The last thing I did was change broadheads. I have used the 200 grain Ace Super Express broadheads for years but I was concerned about tip curling if I hit a moose bone. So I did some research and decided to try the 190 grain Cutthroats by Rocky Mountain Specialty Gear. They are a single-bevel head machined out of a single piece of steel so there is no weld or braze to possibly fail. They also come with a lifetime guarantee - if they bend or break they will be replaced.

These arrows finished out a little heavier than I thought they would - a whopping 812 grains! But I've been shooting them for the past couple of days and they fly well. My first shot at 31 yards, I hit a clay bird I had hanging up. I felt pretty good about that! Now I just need to hit a moose.

Darren

They look great. You make a good case for the pink color. Not sure I've ever seen anyone mix feathers and vanes on the same shaft before. Pardon my ignorance, I've been out of the loop for awhile. Why ?

Very nicely done.  Your skill is very evident, and I'm sure that they will fly true. BTW, I have to say I enjoyed your article in the Conservationist a few issues back.  Nice to see you in there.

Schuh2, thank you so very much! I've been trying to get into that magazine for a long time. Hopefully, I'll be in there again one of these days.

The story of the photo shoot I think is more interesting than the article itself. They did the shoot in August which is the worst month to hunt anything besides ticks and shade. The short version is the only squirrel killed that day was in my front yard right next to the photographer's car. Poor dude took a full load at about 30 feet. He certainly wasn't in any shape for a closeup.

Darren

I am hunting in Alberta just north of Edmonton. Ryk Visscher is our outfitter. He has a stellar reputation and all his guides are bowhunters too. I was going to go to Newfoundland, even had a hunt booked, but it's all about gun hunting there and it's really hard to find guides who truly understand the idiosyncrasies of hunting with a bow; especially a longbow. So I cancelled that hunt and picked Alberta instead. Alberta is a much more bowhunter-friendly place.

Darren