SassyRed

Collared Deer: Shoot or Don't Shoot?

12 posts in this topic

According to the regulations booklet, 8 Missouri counties will have deer that are captured, collared/ear tagged, and then released. The regs say not to let the presence of a collar influence your decision on whether or not to harvest the deer. If you'd harvest a collared deer do so, if not, then don't. What would you folks do given the opportunity? Two of our neighboring counties are participating in this, and although it's doubtful that any of those deer would make it clear up to where I hunt, I think it would be neat to see one. A nice buck I'd probably try to take; but even though I'm more of a doe patrol kind of girl, I think I might let a collared doe walk.... maybe? What say you[emoji780]

dcc7896ecbe52ad1b651f82e896a0d65.jpg

One of the purposes of this study is, as they put it, "...to learn more about the survival, reproduction, and movement patterns of whitetail deer. By you altering your views on taking said collared deer just because she had a collar, you would be altering the results of the study. The way I see it, if you would take the deer any other time of the hunting season, why not take it now? I'm sorry, but after getting virtually skunked last year, I am putting SOMETHING down this year, collar or no collar. Spots are a different story, but if all I see are spots..... what's a guy to do?

SassyRed likes this

If it is not against the law it is going in the freezer. To pass the shot when you normally would shoot messes up their study. The hardest part for me is not hooking that GPS to a Simi with California licence plate!