MoHuntress

Let's see those gardens!

10 posts in this topic

After a miserably wet spring and early summer, I have pulled up everything in my garden except for 2 squash plants, 2 cantaloupes and the pumpkins that are just starting to vine out.  The only thing that did well this year with all the rain was the corn.  I got enough tomatoes to eat, but with 42 plants I was hoping to be putting up cases of canned tomatoes.

I have 2 small greenhouses.  They are only 4 shelf 4' tall greenhouses that I purchased on clearance at Tractor Supply.  I typically buy my seed from www.heirloomseeds.com.  But I will buy from other places depending on what I am looking for and what's available.  I also belong to a great gardening forum www.thebayougardener.com.  People from all over the country sharing tips and even seed exchange if needed.  You ought to check it out.  If you like to be in the garden there is something for everyone's taste there.  The site was started by a man from my neck of the woods here in Louisiana.

MoHuntress likes this

I ordered a catalog, just last week, from Heirloom Seeds.  I cant wait to get it.  I will definitely be checking out the forum that you mentioned.  Thanks for the great info! :)

I'm thinking about getting Mom a small 6'x6' greenhouse for Mother's Day. I'd rather build her a raised bed garden, but I think this would be better to keep the critters out. Our soil is crap, and we have so many mature oak trees that most of our yard is shaded. I wonder if a greenhouse would help, or if it would need more sun than what it would get in our yard?

With that size greenhouse you should be able to find a space in her yard that gets enough sun to accommodate the plant needs within the greenhouse.  When/if you build one make sure it is vented well and/or install a fan on one end.  Air flow is critical to the health of plants growing in a greenhouse.  If she has critter problems there still may be a need for a hot wire around the perimeter of the greenhouse.  Sassy, I would suggest you check out the gardening forum I mentioned in a previous post too.  I am by far an expert.  LOL!

MoHuntress likes this