ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Ron Kruger

Waiting for coyotes?

After calling, how long do you experience hunters wait before moving to a new location?

And what is your favorite recorded call? I realize this depends upon where you're hunting and the prevailing prey species, but if you just had to pick one?

I always gave it a half hr and then waited a lil longer jic. It really depends on location close quarters less time than wide open. My best calls came from bath toys. The metal reed ones not plastic. They fit real well in a ink pen and not having to listen to the noise when the kids took a bath was a plus.

Im still a rookie but I usually sit down make a short 30sec lower volume call and wait 10-15 min just in case anything is close then switch calls or just increase the volume and a longer sequence.

I've killed most of my dogs using cottontail in distress and woodpecker in distress earlier this winter. They shoul be rutting so it may be a good time to be using challenge calls.

Locating in evenings can be a good thing for finding areas they use routinely. Predators as a class tend to frequent certain travelways loafing security areas just like deer turkeys etc. The more knowledge you gain you can start to see patterns develop in the area your hunting. I always had go to spots that produced oftentime multiple kills each sit. Most were found sitting in a deerstand. And don't rule out climbing a tree.