Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
SassyRed

MDC's Archer's Survey

14 posts in this topic

Has anyone else got a survey in the mail? How do you feel about only being allowed one buck for all seasons combined, rather than three bucks?

01aeb16f59749f17367056286269de7d.jpg

Donaldnife likes this

Not a fan of 1 bucks per year, could live with a 2 buck a year limit, but I'd prefer they make it that if you don't fill your firearms buck tag you could fill it late season with archery. Very very few hunters actually take 3 bucks a year, but if I filled my buck tag in first part of archery season and had no buck tag available at all after that I just wouldn't hunt. So it would cut out a lot of my hunting season.

jbsmallmouth and MoHuntress like this

I'm willing to go along with whatever the deer biologist suggests. I quit trophy hunting many years ago. I hunt with both a bow and a camera. Shoot big bucks with the camera and tasty, young does with the bow to supplement my food supply during the winter. But I can fully understand how reducing the buck harvest would bother many hunters and might even reduce participation and tag sales, so not only the hunters, but the Department, have tough choices to make, which is why they are seeking public opinions.

MoHuntress likes this

MDC Deer biologist, Jason Sumners, gave a presentation at the UBM Festival this past weekend (2/7/15) and said that MDC has now changed their stance to 1 buck for archery season and 1 buck for firearms season.

Darren

MoHuntress likes this

I have no problem with using a crossbow. I have tried out several and they dont seem any more effective then any modern compound bows ive owned maybe just a little bit more consistent at longer ranges.

I got the survey yesterday, filled it out, and sent it back in.  Im in favor of one buck in archery season and one buck in rifle season.  I'm also for the whole cross bow thing.

Why crossbow after rifle season? As stated before, for us that have used them they are not any better than the compounds we all use today. I have shot paper plates with my compounds at 100 yards. Can't do it with my crossbow. It has a red dot style sight with three dots in it and I don't think you could judge where to hold it at 100. LoL my current setup compound is an axe6 with the react singke pin, I have only shot it to 70 yards to see how close it is with there idea of sight at 20 and 30 then good to 100. And I coukd have killed a deer at 70, so its pretty close. LOL

not a fan of them taking away any limits already set forth... reducing buck harvest will do nothing for population control, which is job of the conservation department.  As stated before, a very minute portion actually take 3 a year anyway, but don't take away my opportunity to do so.... if they do reduce my opportunity, I expect a reduction in permit price...

Jason Sumners said that the proposed reduction in bucks allowed had absolutely nothing to do with biology or population control. It was MDC's reaction to public pressure to restructure the age class of the bucks in the herd. People want more mature big bucks to kill and MDC figures that folks may be more choosy about what bucks they take if their limit is reduced. This would then allow more "iffy" bucks to grow into trophy animals.

Makes me no difference, personally. I would way rather kill and eat a slickhead!