Puck

Puck's '14/'15 Journal

7 posts in this topic

Made it out to the firing range yesterday. This is the first chance that I have had to shoot an old 20 ga. Mossberg 500 that my father in law gave me a few months ago. It has a c-lect adjustable choke on it. I basically just burned through a box of shells getting comfortable with it and practicing shots at different ranges and chokes. I like it. It points well and it is pretty easy to tear down and clean. I'll probably spend the time to pattern it (actully draw circles and count holes) next time I go out. The staff at the range was nice enough, although I feel like $10 an hour was a little pricey. I will probably try a different range next time.

I passed my Hunter Safety course on Monday! The course instructors were nice enough, although I have to admit that they didn't teach anything that I hadn't already learned. The book had pretty much covered it all. But that is ok because I am now able to go purchase a hunting license. I plan to buy that and the rest of what I need this weekend. Unfortunately my lovely wife has booked nearly the entire weekend with family outings, so it looks like it will be just a little bit longer before I can get out there and track down some small game. I'll be sure to post again after my first time out.

MoHuntress likes this

Congratulations!

I'd play up this accomplishment and make it out to be some amazing feat that took a great deal of time studying to fulfill and after all this investment of time and energy on your part ask the wife to not just toss aside your efforts to provide for your family and in the future not book up your entire weekend with family outings so you can utilize what you worked so hard for.

Glad I could help! If you ever need suggestions on a direction or angle to take ask away I'm sure there's others who can be a valuable resource besides me! Oneshots the king of angles heck his woman cleans all his game and fixes the truck so pay close attention to his words of wisdom.

Went out to Lone Jack Lake for my fist time hunting. I was hoping for squirrel but struck out entirely. Saw a couple but just couldn't get a shot lined up. Still, is was a nice morning in the woods.

MoHuntress likes this

Hey puck, we just got done hunting a managed hunt at blue and grey county park across the road. Seen some nice bucks in there! Good luck with the squirrels because I know that park was full of them!