Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schuh2

Schuh2 2014

5 posts in this topic

Got to the woods about 5:30 this morning, knew that the wind would set them down tight real quick, but wanted to give it a shot anyway.  Around 6:00, had what I think was a doe walk in, go to the mineral block, and mill around for about 10 minutes at 15-20 yards.  Couldn't be sure of what it was because of the lack of light, and since I couldn't even see my pins on my bow, just watched her walk away.  6 more deer out a few hundred yards away and a turkey, but nothing came within range.  Overall great morning in the stand, only thing that would have made it better was having some meat in the freezer.  Plan on going out Thursday morning, but until then, have about 700 pictures to look through. 

Really glad I did not take that marginal shot yesterday, as I was viewing the photos and came across this one from that morning.  Not quite the doe I was looking for!15264818675_c97b870bc3_c.jpg

Just finished working 36 of the last 60 hours, trying to tell myself that I will get 4 hours of sleep to wake up and get in the woods this afternoon.  Hoping it will be worth it.

September 22, 2014:  Slept for 3 hours, got out to the stand about 1:00 pm.  Saw a doe trot off lazily as I walked in, no flagging or snorting, so thought all was good.  After about 30 mins, I hear firearms going off about 300 yards behind me across the property line.  I look over and see a vehicle parked appx 200 yards away in the field.  For the next 4.5 hours, I had to listen to them shooting off 10 round clips and hooting and hollering between each reload.  Finally, around 6:15, they walk out as loud as a Christmas parade and drive their vehicles up the fencerow.  For some reason, they decide to stop their vehicles 50 yards from my stand and get out and talk.  After 5 more minutes, they finally left for good.  I am all about letting someone have their fun on their own land, and I am not about to tell someone what to do on their land.  But my hunt would have probably been better had they not been there.

Anyway, about 6:45, I see a doe pop up in the field, look west, and bleat.  Two yearlings hopped up and began jumping and trotting over to the doe, and began feeding.  They came within 60 yards, but no closer.  Doubt I would have taken the shot if they did come closer, although if they were at 20 yards, it would have been tough not to take one or two.  I waited until dark, and walked out to a deer trotting off in the woods as I walked out no more than 80 yards from my stand.   Another great day in the woods altogether, and I look forward to another chance to enjoy the outdoors.