ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
sgian

hog hunting officially discouraged now?

http://mdc.mo.gov/your-property/problem-plants-and-animals/invasive-animals/feral-hog-control

I was looking up information on hog hunting only to find that the state website discourages hog hunting.  It is also contradictory, saying shoot on site but not to hunt for them because it will interfere with official eradication efforts.  I'm very discouraged about this.  The guy who owns a local gunstore doesn't even believe me when I ask about it, saying that hunting is encouraged.  I don't know what's going on.

Just guessing here but I think they probably want to downplay the presence. At one point I think it got popular enough that people started seeing $$$ and were letting pigs loose wherever they could.  I know in the sw area of MO around table rock there was a lot of pigs a few years back and people would come a long ways to hunt there.  silly waste of tax money sending in their hired guns to do the work hunters could do.

It's actually

Just guessing here but I think they probably want to downplay the presence. At one point I think it got popular enough that people started seeing $$$ and were letting pigs loose wherever they could.  I know in the sw area of MO around table rock there was a lot of pigs a few years back and people would come a long ways to hunt there.  silly waste of tax money sending in their hired guns to do the work hunters could do.

EXACTLY... I sent an email to MDC last year basically asking why outfitting hog hunts in MO wasn't illegal because it encourages people to release hogs so they can make a dime.. Never did get a response, but I totally agree with the effort. Shoot on site for eradication is one thing, outfitted hunting is another.

As far as I can remember once the MDC realized they had a hog problem they have said shoot on site.  I think what they are trying to discourage is baiting/feeding them to encourage population growth.  If you bait them to get a routine down and hunt/shoot them you may only get a couple.  If you trap you may get the whole litter.  Which it kinda states in the linked article.  The MDC site has to much information on their sight on hogs to say that they are trying to discourage eradication.  

If you know the routine of some swine and you truly want to remove them, don't call out the hounds, or a group of the good ol boys, but call the MDC and see if they put their money where their mouth is!

If the MDC has traps set and you shoot at a group of hogs they'll move to another area. I've hunted them in OK several times and the landowners say if they shoot at them they'll go elsewhere until they're shoot at there and then they'll come back.

I had a population visiting a mineral site last year. Through a game warden aquaintce. The USDA contacted me hearing about the pics. I was getting they had traps a few miles away and wanted to.know if it was same group. They also wanted to know if they could put a trap in. I told them it public land so I guess you could do as you wanted but deer season coming and I sure would like to continue hunting this area. They said if they trapped they would put food out for a bit and the area would be closed off. Once the pig hounds started showing up the group disappears for a good bit. Started getting a few pics this summer but the big group is not showing up.

I believe the statement the game warden and USDA stated was hunting feral hogs does little to reduce the population and can actually hurt other operation. The use of dogs is more effective but can push the group miles away. Hence there stand point to shoot on site but active hunting is discouraged.

I found Trapping they catch a few then start catching Deer. Get right down to it I love hunting then either Stand hunting or Dogs.Hogs are spreading here in the state and they are here to stay. Might as well enjoy.

oneshot

As far as I can remember once the MDC realized they had a hog problem they have said shoot on site.  I think what they are trying to discourage is baiting/feeding them to encourage population growth.  If you bait them to get a routine down and hunt/shoot them you may only get a couple.  If you trap you may get the whole litter.  Which it kinda states in the linked article.  The MDC site has to much information on their sight on hogs to say that they are trying to discourage eradication.  

If you know the routine of some swine and you truly want to remove them, don't call out the hounds, or a group of the good ol boys, but call the MDC and see if they put their money where their mouth is!

Hate to say it but I have seen MDC set ups. I'll just say this I could do a much better Job.

oneshot

Times be tough for some. Since wild hogs can be vicious, is there a map of the area's where the highest concentrations are? I would certainly want to make sure I have my concealed carry weapon on me while hiking or looking for a fishing spot. Would need to protect my family and I....and perhaps put a few lbs of pork in the freezer!

I would carry anyway. The mdc posted on Facebook that there is an estimated 5000-10000 feral hogs in Mo as of 2014 and they remove 500-700 a year. If there are between 5000-10,000 wild hogs in Missouri (according to MDC) we must assume there are between 2500-5000 females in the wild hog population. According to what i found online a female wild sow can have up to 2 litters per year at an average of 6 piglets per litters. That is 12 young/new pigs per year per female wild sow. At just 2500 wild sows in the State that is 30,000 new pigs a year. At that rate it should not be that uncommon to have encounters with them in the future.

I would carry anyway. The mdc posted on Facebook that there is an estimated 5000-10000 feral hogs in Mo as of 2014 and they remove 500-700 a year. If there are between 5000-10,000 wild hogs in Missouri (according to MDC) we must assume there are between 2500-5000 females in the wild hog population. According to what i found online a female wild sow can have up to 2 litters per year at an average of 6 piglets per litters. That is 12 young/new pigs per year per female wild sow. At just 2500 wild sows in the State that is 30,000 new pigs a year. At that rate it should not be that uncommon to have encounters with them in the future.

Oh well I figure to be getting a few every so often.

Like I told MDC other states have been doing everything they can for years and have found it is a losing battle.

Yea I'll hunt them they are fun.

oneshot

I do understand MDC's reasoning, but I wonder if the problem couldn't be better controlled, and much less costly, with more conservation minded hunters?

Encourage hunting, but make it illegal to profit in an way from hog hunting. And come up with ways to enhance utilizing the meat. I've tasted it a few different ways. It's more like eating opossum than bacon.

Their main reason for discouraging hog hunting is they do not want a hog hunting culture in Missouri. They are afraid people will try to introduce pigs to other parts of the state to establish a huntable population.

The mdc is trying but I think weather they like it or not they are gonna need our help in the future.

They have another helicopter hunt coming up in a few days.

http://dailyjournalonline.com/democrat-news/news/bell-mountain-wilderness-to-be-closed-feb/article_a7dc0d49-35b4-5a6d-8ede-f5df859a1f0b.html