ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
cjstahly

What gun, choke, shell do you use?

I currently run the following:

20ga 870 with a Truglo SSX choke, Hv13 7s....great hunting pattern. 

12ga 870 3" with a PG 670 choke, Hv 13 6s and MBs.  Was getting over 200 in the 10 at 40 but with the newer Hv 13 shells that has dropped significantly.

I also have a Tristar G2 Viper same as the 12ga 870. 

I am about to order some NITROS,  457s anyone else using them? 

Yes.  HeviShot went up in price down in quality.  Fed HWs in 12 are to finicky to mess with.  I guess I should spend the money on Nitros and stop trying to switch. If I would have just bought Nitros a couple years ago I would have saved a couple to several hundred bucks already.  Live and Learn.

The thing is....I am going to be buying a 3.5 inch gun soon....just to say I have one/shoot a big boy gun (or big idiots gun)

My sons shooting a Remington 1100 20 Gauge Youth model with Hastings .562 choke, and Federal Heavyweight 7s.. very deadly little setup

Im shooting a 935 this year with an Indian Creek Haymaker choke and Heavyweight 7s as well, but will be trying Longbeard xrs as soon as I locate a box or two.

For the second year in a row, I'll be using my flintlock 12 gauge smoothbore that a friend made for me. I patterned it last weekend with some paper shot cups I made and using 80 grains of 3F powder and 1 1/2 oz. of #6 shot I put 15 pellets in the head of a turkey target at 30 yards. That's good enough for me!

Darren

FlintlockTurkey04262103_zpsbd526a94.jpg

I shoot a Charles Daly Maxi-Mag, 31/2 inch Winchester supreme #4 (2oz) thru the factory turkey choke.  My old setup was a Mossberg 500, undertaker choke, federal premium #5 (pattern went to crap after federal changed their wad)

wife shoots a Mossberg 835 tactical, 31/2 inch Winchester supreme #5 (1.75oz) thru the factory turkey choke. 

My primary turkey gun is a Rem 870, with a factory extra full choke and Rem Nitro turkey loads in size 6.

Occasionally I will take out my Mossberg 185K-B 20ga, With Rem Nitro 6's.

Remington 870 with Remchoke Extra Full Turkey. Federal 1.5oz Magnum 5's. Worked for Colorado turkeys should work here. I'll change it back to hold 3 rounds instead of 8! LOL

Remington870Tac.jpg

Well, it looks as though I will be using my Dad's Model 12, 16 gauge.  My Dad passed away in 2005, and I'm pretty sure that old scatter gun hasn't been touched in twenty years.  Today, I went out to the farm and shot about a half of a box of shells.  It shoots real nice and I think it will kill a turkey.  I ordered some turkey loads last night and they are on their way.  I ordered some 16 gauge Hevi-Shot 6's. 

Killmode, thanks for the idea.  I forgot about that gun.  I think it would be real cool, if I killed a turkey with my Dad's shotgun. :)

Not to hijack the thread, but quick question, I was getting me some different brands of 12 gauge to really try to see which produces the best pattern, and I came across some FIocchi Pheasant shells that seemed to have almost the exact same specs in shot size, amount of shot in ounces, velocity, and being plated (nickel as opposed to copper for the turkey ones), and it got me wondering, since I can get them for a bit cheaper than most of the turkey brands, what's the difference between turkey loads and say pheasant loads if all other specs are equal. Is it the buffering and all that that lets it be more accurate out of tighter chokes or what's the big difference? I got the stuff anyways, and I need to get me a tighter choke to see how it does, so regardless I plan on trying it out at the patterning range, but been wondering what it's big drawback could be.

Harris122, it doesn't matter. just shoot what patterns best. heck, my first several turkeys were killed with 2 3/4 High Brass loads and a reg full choke... know the effective range of whatever u decide to use and DO NOT exceed the limitations.... I absolutely HATE the fact that there are ammo companies out there advertising 70+ yds turkey loads... Even the NWTF says 40 is the maximum "ethical" range to shoot a turkey.

I'm planning to shoot black powder this year. I'm still waiting on some of the components I have ordered to try to work up a load with the #8 tungsten shot I acquired. From all the info I have it seems the wad column and wraps to shoot tungsten is dang near like rocket science. As pricey as it is I doubt I'll get too intense about finding the ultimate load, I'll just try a recommended load and figure out its effective range.

Last yr I loaded up some #6 Hevi shot for my old .410 and waylayed a gobbler with it. Killed my second bird with my old trusty Ithaca mag 10 shooting Hevi shot 5's

Got a browning BPS 10 with a ported barrel and a Kicks turkey choke in the safe along side a 835 with a jelly head choke that my boys have killed a pile of turkeys with and don't know why but I bought a Indian creek turkey choke for my Versamax this winter too. Maybe I'll just get a golf club bag and fill it full of weapons to wheel out opening morning lol. Too many toys, not enough tags or seasons lol.

I know a lot of folks, and most have been doing this a lot longer than I have, that still love those golden pheasant loads.  They have killed a lot of turkeys from what I understand.  If they shoot and pattern well with your set up.....DO IT!

TriStar raptor, extra full, heavy 13 turkey blend.

I know this thread is zombified by now, but still. I just picked up a TriStar Raptor and have been trying to work up a good pattern with it. It's the 28" barrel semi-auto, 3" chamber. Ported Undertaker choke .675 with Supreme 2 oz. #6 seems to be the best for me thus far (I'm not paying 30-35 bucks for 5 Hevishot loads no matter how good they are :D). I'm getting 77 inside 10" at 40 yards.

Also: Longbeard XR #5 (no #4's or 6's available in town) pattern almost identical as the cheapo Kent Diamond Plated Shot I tried with this gun, and both chokes I have. Maybe 10-15 inside 10" at 40. The Kent's were just a bit better IIRC. Weird. Curious what "hit" counts are with your setup, BigMinnow, and any opinions/remarks on the TriStar Raptor. Did you find equal results with the Longbeard's (if you shot them)?

Thanks, peace.

EDIT-

After getting some aftermarket adjustable sights and firing off at some larger targets (3'X4') I figured out why those longbeards patterned so poorly. My gun was shooting them too high. After adjustments were made those things are sick. Seriously. 80+ hits in the spine/head at 25 yards (just a guess, targets were chewed up pretty good) and 30+ at 40 yards. So now the combo is: TriStar Raptor 12ga/H.S. Strut Undertaker/Longbeard XR #5