Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Bendigo78

Must have die for high volume reloaders

3 posts in this topic

I reload my heavy volume calibers on a couple of progressive presses. They\'re great when I need a couple thousand rounds for a last minute prairie do hunt or an extended training trip to the range. The more calibers I find myself reloading the more bulk batches I do. If I\'ve got x thousand components for a caliber that a press is set up for and have a fairly urgent need for a different caliber, I\'ll finish off the first so I can change over often without testing the first batch. Progressive presses turn out good ammo fast, they also turn out bad ammo fast.That\'s how I ended up with 700 rounds of 9mm loaded with a minimum 38 super charge under them. Bad bad bad. I even test fired a couple of these and didn\'t notice the mistake.This said, I have never pulled a bullet. If it\'s bad it goes in a bin of bad ammo to be dealt with at a later date. The only pullers I had ever seen were those kinetic hammer pullers and they looked like a pain. I told a buddy about my issue and he loaned me this. The Hornady Cam lock bullet puller. A $25 die saved me $75 worth of components.post-1422-139589321104_thumb.jpgand in 3 hours I turned 700 rounds into this.post-1422-139589321103_thumb.jpg

I\'ve heard of the CamLock but never needed one for massive bullet pulling. I use a kinetic but then I only have had to do a few rounds at any given time. 700 would be unthinkable with a kinetic, it would take forever and probably cause blisters even if you did wear gloves.I do use a progressive (Dillon RL550) so I\'ll keep my eyes open for a deal on he Hornady for a \"just in case\" situation. :thumbup:

I've used an RCBS collet puller for.....30+ years?  Still works great and is pretty fast as I've done a hundred in less than 3/4 hour.  I've never used the kinetic puller simply because it looked like a PITA from the start