Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MoHuntress

SASSYRED

112 posts in this topic

Oct. 11: My brother called and asked if I'd help him find a good spot for a stand for him and his middle son for youth season, and one for him to use in November. So, we started to go to where we thought would have good sign, but stopped on a whim to check a place near his house. It's a good thing we did, as there were rubs EVERYWHERE!!! There were probably a good 20+ rubs and one good scrape in that one area. The only cedars there were super dry, and the rest of the trees were thorn trees, so we decided to think about what to do there for youth season, and head to a spot for him in the meantime. Here's a few pics of that spot:

c800be436f9043fc18f9c1c364958643.jpg

c6ae152cd9d78ea7fef69765f60128b6.jpg

eae34a54dcd32a6082f11e59f9351b65.jpg

So then, we headed to another spot that no one ever hunts, looked around for a good hour and a half, and finally decided on a spot near a fairly big, fresh rub, and lots of other sign including a HUGE deer track. We put his ladder stand in a nearby cedar tree, and brushed it in real good, (we did it better AFTER I took the photos [emoji6]). Here's that spot:

486b8e293bcdb8ce8eed4624e4651c82.jpg

d1e951bf51b882334732b5753e0d6ed4.jpg

As soon as we were done with that, we went and got one of my deer cams that needed to be moved anyway, and put it up in the youth season spot. While doing that, we decided he should forget about putting his buddy stand there since the trees in that area weren't an option, and that they should use his blind instead. I think that will be the perfect spot for my nephew to get his first deer, and I can't wait for that to happen [emoji4]

Oct. 15: My brother sent me this pic of the buck that showed up the night we put the camera up at the youth season spot. I'd say if my nephew can keep from getting buck fever this year, he's got a pretty good chance of filling a tag for the first time [emoji1]

42207f348c5736614592a2f95f2a8cf8.jpg

riversiderusty likes this

When we went to scout and put up the stand, my brother asked me if I'd take my oldest nephew hunting during youth season again this year. Silly question - of course I said heck, yea! But what was even better, last Sunday our family took his oldest daughter out to a nice dinner for her milestone birthday, and as we were all getting ready to leave, his oldest boy asked to make sure if I'd take him hunting - so he can show me how it's done [emoji6] Then, his little brother ran up and asked me if I'd take him instead. But, since he hasn't got a deer before, (yet), his Daddy wants to be there for his first, so I had to say, maybe next year.

Words cannot begin to express how happy it makes me that they would ask me. There's all sorts of men in our family that they could ask, but they always seem to ask their ol' Auntie. It gives me the warm fuzzies [emoji4]

Anyway, I can't wait for Saturday to get here! With the cold front moving in, it should be a good day for our up and coming hunters to fill some tags and make some memories! And, good luck to those of you that will be sharing our hunting heritage with kiddos this weekend!!!!

Here's a few things that I've made this month - all completely handcrafted:

Leather Cuff Bracelet:

ad50deb2ae943f6a7c57d9b6f0951cb4.jpg

ad6a1a4e94b00599eb7e7840c6a64cbb.jpg

I refurbished this old leather stitching pony:

50e2a06df9f74974838e7c1b7f4763ef.jpg

Leather Hatband:

2c33fc6806c84e5dba76e2a5e7f23211.jpg

Can Koozie:

a62b85f7ac855d8168ef33f0f16b68fa.jpg

Paracord Goat Tying Strings:

3fba221e75b1c3c7f85bf6f7a9b98ce0.jpg

Leather Spur Straps:

878778d7a2bc2d85e624314265ed82a8.jpg

472eba937e01ddbd7c2c27a6b76d7566.jpg

Antler Rings and Scarf Slides:

c9fb4189f474a568fdb9dce7b35bf8c7.jpg

827b6c78ec8ff93383bc740293f9f80a.jpg

Youth Season: Day 1

Saturday, I took my brother's 10 year old boy, and my brother took his 7 year old son. They set up in their blind by all of the buck rubs that I was telling you about, and we set up watching the old corn field where my other brother had saw about 20 deer the night before. We had planned on using one of the buddy stands, but since it was 25° and windy, Mom went out and got us a blind to use so we'd be a little warmer. She's pretty awesome like that [emoji4]

Anyway, we got set up around 0630, and as the sun started coming up, we saw what we thought was a doe going through the field. It was still too dark to take a shot, so we decided to pass on her. About 10am, Silas said his feet were so cold that they hurt and were going to fall off, so we went back to the truck to warm up. About that time, my brother text me saying that they hadn't seen anything, and had already went home to warm up, so we did the same.

I went home to check on the puppies, then we all went back out about 4pm and stayed til dark. This time, Silas and I sat where the others did in the morning, and they went to the bottom 40. We saw a doe and heard something snorting at us from in the woods as the sun was setting. The doe was only about 20 or 25 yards straight in front of us, but Silas was having a hard time finding her in the scope. I looked to see if I could adjust it, but it's a fixed scope, so after she left, we headed back to the house. It's funny, he didn't know I was standing in the house, and he started telling his Mom that he could've got one, but Aunt Jessie messed his scope up, LOL! It doesn't even adjust, he just needed an excuse, I guess [emoji6] About that time, the other two got home. Sam said he tried to shoot a doe, but he missed and she ran off. My brother said she was about 200 yards off, and Sam has a hard time holding his gun steady - even on the trigger stick, but there's always tomorrow!

f675798ba3b457abfd995bff34f55404.jpg

Youth Deer Season: Round 2

The 10 year old wanted to sit with Daddy this time since he hasn't got to hunt with him in two years, and the 7 year old decided it wasn't worth getting up early to sit in the cold, so we traded hunting buddies, and my brother took Silas to the bottom forty that morning.

They didn't have any luck in the morning, so we met up around 3:30pm, to hunt the afternoon/evening. Sam told me not to mess with his scope like i did Silas', (I didn't even touch it, but I'm sure I'll hear about it for years to come [emoji12]). Anyhow, they went back to where all the rubs are, and Sam and I went to the bottom 40. I let him do all of the calling, which he thought was pretty cool [emoji4]

Not long after that, we saw a doe about 175 yards ahead of us, in the wood line. She stayed there going in and out of the tall weeds for a good 30 minutes. She was small and kind of hard to see, but as soon as she turned broadside, we got his gun set up. He decided it was too far of a shot and didn't feel comfortable shooting that far, so we let her pass. That was definitely a proud moment for me! He's only 7, and already developing good hunting ethics [emoji106] So, she walked back into the woods, and Sam wanted to try to call her back out and see if she'd come closer. I just happened to look to the South, and saw a buck with a really tall rack about 300 yards off. He was on a mission. He was running through the field towards where the doe was. He got to the wood line about 200 yards away from us, and I told Sam we'd get his gun set up, and I'd try to make the buck stop so he could shoot it. But, Sam said he was too far and moving too fast, and wanted me to stop him before we got his gun ready. About that time, the buck entered the woods and went out of sight. So, Sam started calling again, trying to get him to come back to the field, but that wasn't seeming to work.

It was starting to get dark, and he was getting kind of board, and asked if we could leave, so we began joking around, trying to stay entertained. I looked up, and shazam, there was what we thought was a doe, standing in the middle of the field, about 150 yards straight ahead of us. Sam got his gun up, and said his scope was shaking. So, I tried to get behind him to brace him since he stands up to shoot, he got her all lined up, shot.... clean miss. The deer just stood there. So, I loaded another bullet, he got the scope on the deer's shoulder... BOOM - the deer did a back flip and hit the ground!!!! I was so excited, I said you got it, you got it! He just turned around and said, I know. LOL! Third year of trying to get a deer, and he finally got his first one!!!! He obviously had to text Daddy, then we started to go get our hands on it. I shined my light, and saw eyes looking at me from the ground, so we backed off just in case, and went back to the blind and waited for dad and big brother to get there with the truck. We hopped in with them, drove through the field, and Silas spotted the deer. It was a button buck! Rack or not, Sam thought it was cool that his first deer harvest was a buck [emoji6] He ended up shooting it in the neck, but even so, it went straight down! He told everybody that he was finally able to get one because he was sitting with Aunt Jessie this time. That warmed my heart [emoji5]

Anyway, Silas didn't end up getting one. He was upset that daddy wouldn't let him shoot a doe that was behind a tree, but says he's still awesome cause he's already got 3 deer so far, LOL. But, he was still glad for little brother [emoji6] And, everybody was real happy for Sam, and proud that he was able to use his first tag, and I feel extraordinary blessed to have been a part of that [emoji106]

aacb05ec125a9aefa2d2fef90fa43a60.jpg

Well, the puppies have grown a tad in the last 5 weeks. I'll be honest, I've grown pretty dadgumed attached to each and every one of them [emoji6]

7facd57062dab02321877dfbfa14fac3.jpg

Opening Day of Rifle Season.

Not much to report today. I sat in my blind until my brother had to leave around 8:30, then went to his blind. I stayed there until about 11:30 and didn't see a thing, so I went back to my blind to secure it better so I could leave and get 3 puppies ready for their new homes, and what do you suppose I found not 2' from the blind that I should have stayed in? That's right, fresh deer poo [emoji12]

So... I went back this afternoon and stayed until dark. I saw two deer, but they were in the thick brush, and I couldn't tell if they were shooters or not.

I saw deer on the way out there and on the way back, and a coyote, as well. Too bad they were on other people's property [emoji13]

It was so cold that it made my face more pale than usual, LOL!

f99debbf5d7e283593203fdff6e9fb17.jpg

Friday Nov. 14

I almost forgot to post this [emoji50] Yesterday, a buddy and I went to Bass Pro, and I picked up some rabbit pee to try out for predator hunting, and when I got home, my brother's 4 youngest kids were there. Sam just had a birthday, and picked out a leather tomahawk kit from me, so he wanted me to teach him to make that. He also picked out an eagle concho, so we made an arrow head to put that on to hand off the tomahawk handle. The other kiddos made arrow head keychains to put on their backpacks. It's awesome to me that they're all interested in learning the craft. Sam even said he's going to remember what I taught him so he can make more cool stuff [emoji106]

afca19fef7ea22a9b745c1b21dd9c3e9.jpg

3a461ab93022c1f34ac1b7b0fad3d275.jpg

November 24th/25th, 2014:

Second to last day of rifle season, my Mom rubbed my head for good luck, (don't make fun, it's worked before [emoji6]), and I had a really good feeling that I was going to fill a tag that day! I had sat at the farm all day without seeing a thing, and it was starting to get dark, just as most days before. So, I went to head home, but this time my gut told me to check the field behind my brother's shop before I called it a day. Sure enough, there were five does about 100 yards from where I stood. So, I shouldered my rifle, got the doe that didn't have other deer standing behind her in my cross-hairs, took the safety off, and boom. She mule kicked, all the deer started stirring around, four ran to the woods to the North, and one ran to the woods to the South. It was light enough that I could safely see through my scope, but it had gotten dark enough that I wasn't able to tell which way my deer went. So, I checked the field and both patches of woods, and didn't even see a speck of blood, much less my deer. Neither of my brothers were home to lend a hand, so I got in the truck and shined my headlights into the field, and used my 600 lumen flashlight to check the woods. I stayed over an hour after dark trying to find her; I knew that I had made a good shoulder shot, but I just absolutely couldn't find her. I figured since the night time temp was to be 17°, it would safe to leave her over night, and come back and look again at first light. The coyotes howling in the distance made me nervous that they might find her first, but I was confident that if they didn't, it was plenty cold enough that the meat would still be good in the morning.

So, the next morning I set out to track her. I pulled into the drive at the farm, and I was able to see her laying in the field not but 25 yards from where I had shot her. I was pretty excited to say the least, but I couldn't figure out how I could see her from my brother's back yard, but couldn't find her last night? Once I got up to, I figured out why it was so easy to spot now. Yep, she was way beyond bloated [emoji107] I still don't understand how I couldn't find her the night before - unless maybe she ran into the woods, then came back out after I left? Anyway, I called my meat processor, and he said with the doe being bloated like that, the meat wouldn't be any good, and wasn't worth getting sick over. Well, I didn't eat any of the meat, but let me tell ya, I'm still sick over it! I know that happens sometimes, but I couldn't even hunt that morning I felt so bad! How did I not see her? That thought ran through my head all day. I felt like such a jerk for letting the meat go to waste, and I really don't understand how she bloated so quickly in such cold weather.

At any rate, I didn't much feel like staying there to hunt that morning, so I telechecked her, went home, and came back that afternoon to hunt. I stayed until dark, and didn't see anything, so that's it for my rifle season. Maybe I'll have better luck with my bow, or maybe during alternative methods season [emoji106]

Also, I decided I'm going to go back later and sit on my doe to try to call in some predators. At least that way I won't feel like I shot her in vein so much.

2316df18b1fce0bb435415066d3f186c.jpg

Here's some stuff I've made lately - Wingbone Turkey Calls with Antler/Cow Horn sound chambers, and Antler Whistle Keychains/Necklaces:

198307d05107727410cd1f77d31aafdc.jpg

e88aea984ef13a87e33a227e00061e53.jpg

Mom and I spent yesterday in Springfield, had a good lunch together, and then of course I had to stop at two leather stores and Hobby Lobby while we were in town [emoji6] And, since I won a $50 gift card from Springfield Leather Co. a while back, I've been patiently awaiting a good sale anyway [emoji4] I missed out on the sale I went there for, but lucky for me, they had some pretty awesome deals on some other leather [emoji106]

Anyhow, this is what I came back with from all three stores, and the gift card covered a good majority of it [emoji2] I can't wait to put this stuff to use and create some cool leather gear!!!!

52f2cb62d27086f56395ad96c8fc6ddf.jpg

During rifle season, (the day I harvested my doe), I found a really cool turtle shell by the pond, and it actually still had the skull laying right there beside it - which is something I've never found before around any of the hundreds of turtle shells I've found, and it even still had the lower jaw [emoji3]

Anyway, my Mom loves turtle shells, so I brought it and the skull home, and Mom asked if I could clean the skull for her so she could proudly display it in the house [emoji106]

So... last week I finally got around to bleaching it, and I decided it would be kind of cool to do a Euro Mount with it since that's not something you usually see. Luckily, the day I found the turtle, I had also picked up a small piece of a cedar branch that we had cut off when we put my brother's stand up, thinking I could use it to make a game call with. It was a perfect piece to make a pedestal out of for the skull [emoji106]

So... after some cutting, sanding, shellacking, and gluing, this is how it turned out. By the way, Mom loves it - she said I should've surprised her at Christmas with it [emoji217]

Before:

16a0a05b7e7315dd77eacde86be01e96.jpg

After:

d502edcd08ee5de4209f59bc993430ab.jpg

riversiderusty and Rbreb13 like this

So, I woke up to this phone call from my brother at 6:30 yesterday morning: "Do you want to come get this bobcat that just ran under my truck and skin it out?" Abso-stinking-lutley [emoji106] That's one sure fire way to get this little sister up and at 'em... even if I did only get 3 1/2 hours of sleep [emoji42]

So far, I've got it skinned, (cased), my brother registered it, and I've got most of the fleshing done, (it started raining on me yesterday, so I had to put that on hold). As soon as I finish fleshing it, I'm going to try to tan it myself, and give it to my brother for Christmas. Also, I left the paws and claws on the hide in case my brother ever decides to have it mounted - which was kind of a pain, but I'm sure it will be pretty cool when I'm all done with it [emoji6]

[emoji197]

8a30b90a1a1115466cc8f07a8993576d.jpg

d5e37dd16fc890c9814964e6fcdd9755.jpg

f651f883ae2c98a977425a3d6a30e4ab.jpg

34fb801e90fc8b43ad5c59078a055cc4.jpg

riversiderusty and Rbreb13 like this

I stayed up until 3:30 this morning trying to get caught up on Christmas orders and the gifts I'm making for 14 family members.... I know, I know; I'm cutting it close [emoji6] But anyway, I thought you all might like to see this one that I'm working on. It's a work in progress, but it should be a pretty cool holster when I'm done with it [emoji106]

e8e6a3110ba8e4ca5ef41dc0f03db36f.jpg

I got a few more Christmas gifts done [emoji4]

Handcrafted Leather Cuff Bracelet which I lined with Lambskin that I made for Mom, (she and Dad go to all of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils concerts, so the band calls her a "Darehead", and they always dedicate their song "Country Girl" to her):

70b1381fb001d636cd86ab97342269a4.jpg

8a3380b892f48d00d7a87bad2bf8fced.jpg

3e9adc839676be2f93052b0ff43e1134.jpg

1049438c83af2559c24d7f86ea80b980.jpg

9b255e90b2d772d11b69c2265aad353a.jpg

Roper Style Wallet for my oldest brother:

fa2eb70454fc638ddcf79c74fb22ffaf.jpg

d69ecf2a036cf897421069ff96578e01.jpg

Hand Carved Leather Cuff Bracelet which lined with lambskin for my oldest brother's girlfriend:

d43d6c6d0424b277ac220cfccd469b49.jpg

1e875e38ca692bec0f30a4c6a136be48.jpg

A Baseball I made using Buffalo Hide and Deerskin for my other brother:

9383deb993b329d17c788aa868a31d7b.jpg

Here's a few more Christmas gifts that I just finished making. My list is getting shorter [emoji3] [emoji106]

Deerskin Baseball I made for one of my nephews:

9814ab3fbafffa873240ffb00134b027.jpg

Hand carved Leather Cuff Bracelet lined with Lambskin that I made for one of my nieces:

05b908343bc8d0fb805f0e1a99bf64d6.jpg

c37ad00d636b3c1fb24d4a60d6147f6c.jpg

Set of four hand carved leather coasters I made for my oldest niece and her husband:

160d2d52ffba26cda948ce672f5cee9b.jpg

Leather Cross, Keychain, and Arrowhead I made that were ordered one of my return customers:

e1469020ee52b815932aaa97b4cd5a1d.jpg

Now then, break's over, and back to the leather bench [emoji6]

I got another set of hand carved Leather Coasters done! I made these for my aunt and uncle's Christmas gift, since they're HUGE International Harvester fans [emoji6]

c9bf526035d145f27db7bf58479e4030.jpg

Well, I just finished the concealment holster I've been working on, and the friend that I made it for came and got it. I ended up shortening the straps after he tried it on, and forgot to take a photo afterwards. But anyway, I was a little nervous about this Christmas gift.... it was my first holster I've ever made from scratch, (not in a kit), it was only my second attempt at wet molding, and he and I had to come up with a design/pattern that would work since no one else makes these. But, he's really happy with it, and even thinks I should get it patented [emoji6]

Now then, I only have four more gifts to make in the next few days [emoji106]

1acf62accc44e39050739980d20b803e.jpg

I got another baseball done. I made this one for one of my nephews using deerskin and lambskin:

145f6840ceafec099a836c550cc579a9.jpg

Now then, only three more things to make [emoji4] [emoji106]

I finished the last of the baseballs [emoji106] I made this one for my youngest nephew using buffalo hide and lambskin:

3c2ade6c585957ba813da0b6c76db7e7.jpg