ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MoHuntress

SASSYRED

I went to the farm yesterday to see if my auto feeder was working correctly, (pretty sure it's not), so I grabbed the cards out of my cameras while I was there. The cam's have only been out since Friday, so I only got a total of 12 pics. Absolutely nothing had been by my feeder, which was kind of odd since I put it right next to a bedding area, but maybe we'll get pics once we go back this week to fix the feeder. I did have pics of a young 8 point at my bow stand, though [emoji106] And, we spooked a buck with a pretty tall rack in the middle of the freshly harvested corn field when we hung the feeder and cameras Friday, so I'm hoping to get pics of him. I'd like to see if he's really as big as he looked on top of the hill [emoji6]

Anyhow, here's a pic of how we hung my feeder, and a pic I got off my game cam:

a7u5esaz.jpg

puruje7u.jpg

I forgot to post this from a Rimfire Rifle Challenge that I entered at Quail Creek Guns back in July. I think I'd have done better had my rear sight not came off [emoji12] I guess I did pretty decent considering that, though. I even shot 10/10 on the 1/2" targets, LOL!

4y6anahe.jpg

Some friends and I took a road trip to Arkansas last month, and stopped at Thorncrown Chapel to check it out. It's really cool there. All the walls are made of glass, so it's like you're sitting in church in the middle of the woods. Very inspirational [emoji106]

syqete5y.jpg

ajapedyb.jpg

Well, I'm officially old. My oldest niece got married a couple of weeks ago. It was a beautiful outdoor wedding! During the reception, we took a break from all the dancing, they lit the bonfire up, and welcomed everyone to an open s'mores bar [emoji4]

Since I figured they'd be getting enough "traditional" wedding gifts, I made them each custom bow slings. After all, all newlyweds need more hunting gear, right [emoji6]

uja4ejev.jpg

qysamyqy.jpg

y5u4e2ur.jpg

ga6u5ese.jpg

a7y3ysu9.jpg

ymyzesu9.jpg

6e5ytasu.jpg

Labor Day Weekend: August 30th, 2014.

My brother and I took all five of his kids froggin' for Labor Day Weekend. We had a big time! Everybody gigged at least one, even the 3 and 4 years olds, (they had a little help). We ended up getting 13 frogs collectively, but had to stop so the kids wouldn't be tired at church the next morning. It was awesome! I love how they love doing this kind of stuff [emoji4]

My 3 year old niece didn't stick around for a photo or to help clean the frogs, (she couldn't wait to wash up), but here's the other four kids with their big mess of frogs:

duryzezy.jpg

I did a little dove hunting yesterday afternoon. I couldn't seem to get them to fly in close enough to me, so I went to check on my game cameras and found an opossum that somehow got it's tail hung up in the top strand of the barbed wire fence [emoji50]

About that time, the turkeys started to roost and the deer started coming out to play, so I sat down at the edge of the tree line, cooked myself some dinner, and enjoyed the sights and sounds.

No doves this time, but a good day nonetheless [emoji6]

9y4e4y5a.jpg

betu7yje.jpg

Sassy's Tip of the Day:

We all know that deer attractant can get expensive. So... save a little money by getting yourself a cheap jar of peanut butter, (I use the kind with honey mixed in it), drill a few holes in the lid, nail/screw the lid to a tree about 4' off the ground, cut off the very bottom of the jar, and screw the jar into the lid. Presto - you now have yourself a cheap, functional deer feeder! And, you can continue to use the same lid over and over instead of having to drill holes in a new one each time. (Note: make sure you drill the holes beforehand rather than just trying to nail/screw it to the tree, or you'll brake/crack the lid).

It's pretty simple, but it really does work, and the deer love it [emoji106]

2a2esapu.jpg

Hunting tip #2: DIY SCENT CONTROL/WINDICATOR

If you're anything like me, you have no desire to spend $300 on scent controlled hunting clothes. So, here's a trick that the old timer's have been using since way back before we had all of this new fangled technology, which is what I'll be using this fall [emoji106]

First, raid the top of your dryer and find a cotton sock that has mysteriously lost it's match. Make sure it is free of any holes. It will probably smell like your laundry detergent, (I store my mismatched socks in a recycled mop wipe box to use as rags, so mine smell like citrus). Because of this, you'll need to hand wash your sock with unscented soap - otherwise, the smell of your laundry soap will overpower our homemade scent control and potentially spook off our deer.

za4u9aqa.jpg

Once your sock has air-dried, (the sun works great for this, as you don't want your sock to smell like your dryer), head over to your icebox or cabinet and find your baking soda. (Baking soda prevents refrigerator/clothing/etc. odor, so it will work for hunters, too [emoji4]). Now, fill your sock with the baking soda until the toe end forms a ball about the size of a lemon. Then, tie a tight knot as close to the ball as you can. For added security, grab a zip tie out of your tool box and secure it between the ball and the knot. Cut the excess off of the zip tie, (you can also cut the excess off of the sock, but since that might cause the material to fray, I just tie another knot in mine). Now, pop your new Scent Sock in a zip-lock baggie and store it in your ice box until you're ready to use it.

3ega7e4e.jpg

When you're ready to hunt, take it out of the bag and pat yourself down with it to cover your scent PRIOR to entering the woods. Put it back in it's baggie, toss it in your pack, and if you get hot in the woods, reapply to stay cool and dry, and to prevent any further odor.

Other than being functional and cost effective, another cool thing about this is that you can hold it in your (gloved) hands, lightly clap your hands together, and it will emit a small puff of powder that you can use to determine which way the wind is blowing.

And, there you have it. You probably already had all of the materials laying around your house, and if not, this is still incredibly cheap to make. This trick works, and in my opinion, is way better than dropping a few Benjamin's on the store bought, China made stuff [emoji6]

This Sunday, our awesome community is holding a fish fry to benefit a young man, (early 40's), that has recently been diagnosed with leukemia. They're having the fish fry, music, a cruise in, a silent auction, and a live auction. So, I just finished making this custom leather Archery Arm Guard to donate to the benefit auction. The orange signifies leukemia awareness, and the mustache... well, apparently this cowboy is well known for his handlebar mustache, so I just had to incorporate that in there somewhere [emoji106] With bow season opening the next morning, I'm hoping this was a good item to make that will get him a lot of bids... we shall see [emoji6]

vy6y4usu.jpg

I went to the benefit fish fry on Sunday, and good news: the arm guard I made brought in $160 [emoji1] And, the total money raised at the event was over $30,000!!! Needless to say, I'm pretty proud of my community right now! This town is always willing to help out a neighbor, weather we know them or not, and that's just pretty cool in my book [emoji106]

Also, that morning, a friend of mine called and asked if I wanted to go fishing. So as soon as I left the benefit, he and I headed to the farm. We saw a doe on the way to the first pond which is always a welcomed sight [emoji4] But, that first pond we went to was pretty mossy. I caught a little bitty perch that we threw back, and we got a few bites, but the moss was just causing too much of a problem to catch anything else. So, my buddy told me to make a couple of laps around the pond with the .22 revolver in search of some frogs before we left. So I did just that, got four frogs [emoji196], and then we headed to the next pond. There, he saw a couple of turkeys, we heard several of them roosting, and we saw several deer down there, also. He ended up catching a small bass and a small perch that we decided to turn back until next year, and then eight keeper perch [emoji476] I only caught two keeper perch - he said I'd have caught more had I paid more attention to my pole instead of the deer, LOL! But hey, with opening day of bow season in the morning, you can't blame me for getting a little excited about deer in the field [emoji6]

All in all it was a pretty great day! An awesome community event, 4 sets of frog legs, and 10 pan-sized fish to go towards my friend's fish fry this fall. That's a pretty good way to spend a Sunday if ya ask me [emoji2]

e4yquse5.jpg

re6ahy7u.jpg

Opening Day of Bow Season:

Well, I didn't see any deer, but I saw plenty of turkeys that afternoon. I had 10 come up within bow range, however they were on the neighbor's side of the fence, and I just couldn't get them to cross onto my side. They stayed there for a good 10 or 15 minutes; feeding, laying down relaxing, and then they finally headed down the fence line. Not long after that, I stood up to stretch my back, and noticed 4 Toms behind me. They were headed right to me, and got within range, but I was waiting for them to take a few steps closer to get out from behind a cedar branch. But, for some reason, every one of them turned completely around, started clucking up as storm, and took their sweet time walking back to where they came from. After a while, I heard my brother up at his shop working on a truck, so I looked behind me again, (towards his shop), and could barely see those same 4 Toms again. This time, they were on top of the hill walking towards the edge of the woods. So, since I had company coming over and was supposed to leave in a few minutes anyway, I decided to head through the woods to try to beat them to the other side of the field where I figured they were going. I found some deer sign, a TON of turkey sign, (that's where they've been roosting), and a cool turtle shell along the way. Then, low and behold, there were my 4 Toms. At that point, I was about 80 yards away from them, and there was just no way to get any closer without spooking them off. So, I decided to back off in hopes of them sticking around and roosting there. By this time, I was already about 30 minutes late getting home, so I went ahead and packed it up. When I got back to my truck, my brother said those 4 turkeys had been in his field all afternoon - walking back and forth towards his shop then back towards me. Maybe next time I'll sit in a stand closer to the field, rather than in the woods [emoji6]

I didn't fill any tags today, but I got to see several birds, I've now got a better game plan for my afternoon hunts, and I got to go home to family and a good friend to share some homemade biscuits and gravy, scrambled eggs, fried ham, and chocolate milk from a local dairy for dinner; and ya can't beat that with a stick [emoji106]

Deer Scat!!!

8a4e3ape.jpg

Cool, cracked turtle shell that I brought back for Mom's collection:

ymu3u3a7.jpg

Bow Season: Day 2

I decided to sit in my oldest brother's stand that overlooks the harvested corn field on afternoon/evening hunt #2. I had 14 turkeys headed my way, then something on my left caught my eye. It was my youngest brother, my sister-in-law, and 4 of their kids walking towards the field. I had heard the kids playing in their yard since they got home from school, but I didn't expect them to all go exploring the farm today [emoji50] They made it halfway to me before I heard them say, hey who's in that tree? LOL. So, my brother texted me apologizing, saying had they known I was hunting, they'd have stayed home, (I parked next door at my oldest brother's). I told him the turkeys already took off into the woods, so they'd may as well continue on their walk. So, they took off towards the bottom 40 - the kids giggling all the way. Then they came back up and went through my other brother's yard to the dirt road as to not walk through the field again. Of course, the kids had to holler HELLO, JESSIE as they went by. They probably spooked everything around, but it's hard to get upset over children that have the desire to explore the same woods we did when we were kids, and Mom did when she was a kid. The more time they spend in the outdoors the better, I say [emoji106]

Anyhow, I stuck around till dark anyway and didn't see anything else. So I headed for the truck. I got everything loaded up, and began to drive off when I saw a light in the grass. I stopped to see what it was, turned back towards the truck, and two deer jumped up not 20 yards from me. The buck went into the woods, but the doe just stood there staring at me. That figures; my bow was in it's case, secured in the truck, and there was no way to get to it without alerting her. Oh, well. I'd rather have a buck anyway [emoji6]

Silly Kiddos:

2emazave.jpg

Mom and I had to go to town yesterday, so I didn't go hunting. I planned on going when we got back, but when we pulled into the drive, I noticed a box by the garage WITH MY NAME ON IT!!! I had posted on a FB group that I wanted to trade for some Chaga to give to a friend that has cancer. For those that don't know, Chaga is a mushroom with several anti-cancer properties in it, along with A LOT of other good stuff, that only grows on Birch trees. Anyway, a guy on there from Pennsylvania agreed to just give us some, and that's what was in the box [emoji106] So, rather than going hunting, I stayed home to process that so my friend could use it as a tea.

Like I said, this stuff is great for a lot of things, and it's also completely natural and organic; I think I may even start using it for my back [emoji6] And, if you're interested in knowing more about it, this site explains it pretty well: http://feelgoodtime.net/what-are-benefits-and-side-effects-of-chaga-mushroom-tea-inonotus-obliquus/

Me using one of our "family heirloom coffee grinders" to grind the Chaga into tea form:

emute2eg.jpg

The whole process:

y2e4eha4.jpg

Bow Hunting: Round 3

I got to hunt the afternoon/evening again yesterday. I had found the perfect spot for a blind, so I took one with me, got it all set up, got in, and tried to pull my bow back to see if it would work there. Yea, apparently one man blinds weren't made for bow hunters. There was just not near enough room to draw back. So... rather than wasting my time there, I packed up the blind, and headed to the stand that I sat in last time.

Around 5:30p.m., I noticed 15 turkeys headed my way. I waited for them to get closer, and I was actually calm, cool, and collected, (I usually let my excitement overwhelm me [emoji12]). There were 14 hens and 1 Jake, so I was waiting for the Jake to get into range. I tried to pull my bow back a little early so they wouldn't see me, but my brother screwed some 2x4s into both sides of the tree above the stand to hang camo netting from, and I kept bumping my top cam into one of them. So, I waited for the Jake to get in front of me, he did, I went to draw back, and my dad-gum arrow came un-nocked. No biggie. I fixed it, drew back, and one of the hens that was now only 15 yards from my stand raised her head, clucked once, and they all took off running [emoji107] I sure hope this doesn't set the pace for the rest of the season, LOL! Anyway, not long after that, 11 more turkeys topped the hill, but they all cut through the woods and across the fence.

Then, about an hour before dark, several flocks of geese started landing in the field that I was watching. I bet there were over 100 geese there! Not long after that, my oldest brother texted me letting me know that a small doe and her fawn just came out of his back yard and were headed my way. I told him I saw them, but the geese spooked them off and into the woods. I had no problem with that, as I had no intentions of taking a doe with a baby still on her, or even just a doe that small in general. But, he texted me back and said he'd really like to run those geese off. And, he walked out into the field and did just that... REALLY? The geese took off, and he stood there long enough to make sure they didn't come back, then went back to his house, got in his truck, and left. I know he had the best of intentions, but seriously? It was almost dark, and I knew I wouldn't see anything anyway, so I called it a day at that point.

I'm really thinking about investing in a better harness so I can start using my climber stand, and only tell one person where I'm going to sit in the deep woods away from the field each day... that way I'll be out of sight and incognito from all the "two legged deer" [emoji6] Again, he was only trying to help, but geez [emoji12]

I have more pics to post later, but here's a few for now:

Second Flock of Turkeys:

3y4upa6e.jpg

Me:

u2a2atud.jpg

Running Deer Track from the Doe that the Geese Spooked:

urejy2an.jpg

Got a few new bucks on the deer cam. They're young, but it's nice to know that they're out there, anyhow [emoji4]

my6eryde.jpg

qyzysapu.jpg

ezyry6a8.jpg

8eqerupa.jpg

rumupu2u.jpg

It's kind of hard to see, but there's a spike in there behind the tree in the weeds, and on the right:

2egezy4y.jpg

Bow Season: Round 4

Not much to report this time. I helped Mom at her store today, so I didn't head to the woods until around 3:30p.m. I sat in my stand in the woods along the old logging road, even though all of my pics from there have been from early morning. I grabbed the memory card out of the game cam I have set up there before I climbed up the tree, and looked at the pics once I got all strapped in. Wouldn't ya know, there have been deer at that stand every afternoon that I've sat in the one by the corn field, LOL!

Anyway, I had four different groups of turkeys come up, and each separate time, as soon as they started getting close, dove hunters on the next farm over started with their boom, boom, booming. I only heard them shooting when the turkeys were in my view... ALL FOUR TIMES [emoji107] Of course, it spooked the turkeys each time, causing them to turn and go the other way.

I stayed until it got dark, and that was all the action I saw this time. Maybe I'll have better luck tomorrow [emoji6]

By the way, I'll post my deer cam pics as soon as I get them loaded onto the computer [emoji4]

Here's the newest buck photo on the deer cam that I have up by the stand I hunted from today. I had a few pics of him, but he was the only buck that's showed up since the last time I checked that camera, so I just chose the best photo of him to post.

I have several pics of does and fawns also, but you already know what they look like, I'm sure [emoji6]

bypabena.jpg

As most of you know, today's my birthday. Guess how I celebrated it from 11:30 last night until 5:30 this morning!?! With puppies!!! Last night, my Mom said Nipper would have them for my b'day, and she was right! It took her about 5 1/2 hours to have five pups, but it was totally worth staying up for [emoji106] The dad's a German Shepard, so I was worried since Nipper's a smaller dog, but she did great - she had 4 healthy girls and a healthy boy. I may be far from being a kid anymore, but I still say that's one exciting way to spend your birthday [emoji1]

byjebagu.jpg

8uhasyju.jpg

Well, I'm wayyyy behind on my blog. So, Oct. 1 - Opening Day of Fall Turkey Season: I figured since I see so many birds while bow hunting, I could surely get one with the shotgun. That wasn't the case at all. I didn't see nary a one - only a field mouse playing around next to where I was sitting [emoji12]

So, I checked one of my deer cams while I was there before I left. The batteries had quit, so I only got a few pics. No bucks that time, but here's what photos I did manage to get:

[emoji780]

f99c03dfacbb30cb22ffc256a9303bd1.jpg

e9c58be2e37388d344dbfdd1c8b593c6.jpg

2a50c65fd5b76ba1c062b1b2dea1006d.jpg