Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MoHuntress

SASSYRED

112 posts in this topic

CREEK TIME!!!

The end of May, my buddy asked me to go to Devil's Tea Tables to hang out at the creek with some friends. We had a lot fun relaxing in the creek, having some brats on toasted soft tortilla shells made on a creekside fire, and I did a little fishing. I only caught one, but it was a monster [emoji6] [emoji476]

5eby6ugy.jpg

HANDGUN POKER SHOOT: MAY 31, 2014

Nothing like getting my butt handed to me by an older gentleman in the Handgun Poker Shoot, LOL! But on the plus side, I placed 2nd in the 2nd bracket and won this snazzy new ankle holster! Not bad for a crippled with a migraine I reckon. I know what I did wrong, and next time I'll see if I can't pull my head out of my rear-end and try to actually shoot like a girl and do a little better [emoji6]

I'm the one on the left in the orange shirt:

e7e6epy4.jpg

2y9enydy.jpg

I had a heck of a time getting this all put back together after it's extremely detailed cleaning:

u7ajy7uj.jpg

MAY MUSIC JAM

OK, so apparently I got some of my posts out of order, and I'm sure that I probably forgot some all together, but here are some pics from our Music Jam in May:

Sabrina Deets:

ajavygaz.jpg

Dad and Wayne Cooper playing/singing Amazing Grace:

ubemu9yt.jpg

Iowa Rock and Roll Hall of Fame inductee Wayne Cooper:

2ysyzu4e.jpg

HANDMADE BERRY PICKER

Well, I tried making a berry scoop out of cedar, but it was too heavy and I broke the handle on it. So then I thought about making one from a big tin can, but then I remembered that my Momma has an antique store, so I raided it and found an old feed scoop to re-purpose.

So, this my friends, is what I like to call redneck ingenuity. Why buy a cheap, plastic, China made berry picker when you can make one yourself? [emoji6]

Trying to make one from cedar:

meza3y8a.jpg

The finished product:

avedy6a4.jpg

POND FISHING: JUNE 5th, 2014

So, I took a few friends to one of our ponds to do a little a fishing. It rained for a while, and we didn't call it quits until after 2a.m., but we all had a real good time, anyway! I caught one - a good sized bass, one of my buddies caught a big catfish and two turtles, and the other three guys caught bass and perch. Of course we kept the fish that were big enough to eat, and as soon as we catch more, we'll have us a fish fry... this girl can't wait for that [emoji6]

vysety2u.jpg

CUSTOM LEATHER TRUCKER WALLET

My brother's girlfriend asked me to make a trucker wallet for her dad for Father's Day. She said he likes Chevy pickups and loves this country, so this is what I came up with:

6u6y6e8a.jpg

ty3a3yge.jpg

yqyzujaj.jpg

va3evy9y.jpg

me5edupe.jpg

uvugute2.jpg

FATHER'S DAY

For Father's Day, I made Dad this guitar pick necklace. I hand carved it out of cow horn and engraved his concert venue's name on it, then strung it on leather cord, and adorned it with buffalo horn and bone beads. He loves it! [emoji6] [emoji106]

deregeta.jpg

BENNETT SPRINGS STATE PARK

I took a fly fishing class in Girl Scouts when I was little, and didn't try it again until last year. But, last year when I went I got aggravated with it, and switched back to my spin cast.

Well, I decided there was no time like the present to learn to become successful with my fly rod, rather than having sit in the corner and collect dust. So I made a little trip to Bennett Springs, and practiced my cast and watched the old timers for several hours. Then I finally got one [emoji476] ... I moved to a different spot and my first cast out there, I got another one [emoji106]

I'm officially hooked on the fly now! It's amazing how much fun you can have if you actually take the time to learn, instead of giving up on something just because you're not successful at it the first time [emoji6]

yjumy3a5.jpg

6uge3u5a.jpg

3uhymyhe.jpg

2aju5uny.jpg

ygyhybuz.jpg

P.S. I have several more pics, but I'll have to add them later [emoji6]

I made these custom guitar picks for Dad for his birthday in June. They're handcrafted from genuine cow horn. He likes them [emoji6]

ahehysym.jpg

Mom said she needed a pouch for her camcorder to wear on her neck at concerts, so that's what I made her for her birthday in June.

It's a custom hippie style camcorder pouch. I used deerskin leather to make the front and back panels, and dark brown calfskin to make the gusset and the handmade peace sign patch. I secured the deerskin strap with metal d-rings, and handcrafted the button out of cow horn. I also added a pocket on the inside to hold an extra memory card. I sewed this all by hand using sinew. She likes it [emoji106]

ju3y3a4a.jpg

So, I went to Fellow's Lake the end of June to do a little fishing. Someone left their fishing pole at the lake secured under some rocks with the line in the water. The bank was completely covered with their trash, so I assumed the owner would be back. After several hours of being there and no one around to tend to it, I realized the line had been tight the whole time I was there... so I tried reeling it in, and it seemed to be hung-up. It was a turtle that had been caught long enough to have buried itself deep down in the mud. Ask me if I feel bad for coming home with a new-to-me Berkley rod and Shimano reel with what appears to be brand new line. NOPE! That's what they get for disrespectfully trashing up the place and irresponsibility letting my wildlife suffer. And, that's that.

y3use4a3.jpg

eqedymu7.jpg

pypu8ajy.jpg

Mom and Dad had a big music jam for their birthdays last month. Here's a few pics that I took [emoji4]

Sabrina Deets singing Happy Biryhday to Mom and Dad:

adu8amyv.jpg

Dad singing to Mom:

9e4ataty.jpg

Ruell Chappel of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils singing to Mom and Dad:

apadanyp.jpg

JUNE 28, 2014 POKER SHOOT AT QUAIL CREEK GUNS

Well, I did about as well as I did last month. I was beating everybody in the second bracket right up to the end. I even out-shot the guy that beat me last month, then me and a guy that's stationed in Fort Wood kept tying. We had to move the target back further a couple of times to try to break the tie, then he finally ended up getting aces with a 4 high, and I lost to that with aces and a 3 high. It was really fun, though! After the shoot, the owners of the club treated us to hot dogs, chips, cookies, drinks, and they even put on a fireworks show for us. It was well worth the $10 entry fee if you ask me [emoji106]

INDEPENDENCE DAY

I went to the parade and we had the customary corn dogs, funnel cake, fried oreos, and lemonade, and hung out with the folks at Mom's antique shop to eat it all that morning. Mom and I were standing in front of her store enjoying looking at her antique patriotic/military items she had decorated her windows with, and Dad was sitting outside in a chair on the sidewalk, next to a mannequin wearing a WW2 uniform sitting in an antique wheelchair, with his guitar singing Where Corn Don't Grow - sporting his Viet Nam Vet hat, of course. Then a young girl, (late teens, early 20's), came walking by as she was leaving the parade, snapped a photo of Dad, and began to cry. She never said a word, but her tears of pride and gratitude were thanks enough for Dad. I thought that was pretty special [emoji4]

Anyhow, I ran into an old friend at Farmer's Market that afternoon, and we decided to celebrate our freedoms by going to the annual Marshfield Independence Day Rodeo together that night. It was a pretty sorry rodeo - only lasted about an hour and a half including the fireworks show, but we had a good time catching up.

I ended the night by getting a funnel cake at the rodeo to take to a friend, and much to my surprise, he had a roast, mashed potatoes, green beans, and biscuts waiting there ready to eat when I brought him his deep fried treat [emoji2]

All in all, it was a pretty great Forth of July [emoji6]

na3y9eza.jpg

ydype7es.jpg

mugy2epe.jpg

hu7anyza.jpg

July 7th

Well, my day started off rocky - I blew a tire out on the way to the farm - in the 90° heat in a truck with no a/c might I add, (I was pretty thankful today that I listened to Gammy when she said to always carry a jug of ice water with me).... MSHP's finest was kind enough to stop to see if he could be of assistance, and luckily big brother came to save the day. Then I finally made it to the farm, and I was already overheated, so I went to the easiest blackberry bushes I could get to, which allowed me to be close enough to hear the laughter of my favorite children, which obviously brightened my day. But what really turned my day around, was watching my favorite 12 year old come running through the tall weeds hollering, "Jessie, is it OK if I help ya pick those?" - and then seeing her expression when she spooked a deer that was bedded not 5' from her. That made the blown out tire, the aggravation, the heat exhaustion, and my completely worn out back all worth it. There's nothing in the world like enjoying what the Good Lord made for us - particularly that farm - with a kiddo; especially when they're just as excited about it as I am!!! And, I got enough blackberries to make a cobbler... or 3 - and ya can't beat that with a stick [emoji6]

e7yseqy5.jpg

I made these custom, hand cut, hand carved, leather keychains as some birthday gifts - one for my niece's fiancé who's a lineman, and the other for my brother's girlfriend who's a die hard Chevy fan and country girl. They seemed to like to them [emoji106]

ygedaqy7.jpg

ypy5utyh.jpg

e6ytydeb.jpg

SUPER MOON: JULY 12, 2014

A Super Moon is when the moon gets to it's closest point to the Earth at the same time that the moon happens to be full. It makes it look HUGE [emoji4]

Anyhow, here's a few pics I took of it, and remember that the next time this will happen is on August 10th [emoji6]

It didn't have that red ring around it when I took the pic [emoji780]

uvysa4aq.jpg

usazeqe4.jpg

yhybepuz.jpg

My nieces and nephews came over, so of course we had to make jumbo s'mores. The four year old even had a great time helping me collect wood to make the fire [emoji4]

rasasa8e.jpg

Here's a Leather Possibles Pouch that I made last month. I handcrafted this bag from calf skin and high quality vegetable tanned cow hide. I carved the Native American Zuni Bear Paw symbol by hand, and hand tooled a boarder around the edges of the flap and reinforcement piece. I handcrafted the button closure and the drawstring toggle using Whitetail Deer antler. I used leather cord for the drawstring and flap closure, and cut the loops on the back to accommodate up to a 2" belt. I added metal eyelets to lace the drawstring through for added reinforcement. The leather is hand cut, hand carved, hand tooled, and hand stained. I also sewed this by hand using artificial sinew. This particular cow had a bug bite which you can see in the first pic on the right on the flap. I myself like this, as it adds character ;)

segate4a.jpg

2eju3uha.jpg

vutezy6y.jpg

uqa9y2ym.jpg

It's taking me awhile to get caught up with my posts, so this is from last month, but I didn't do to shabby at this year's Webster County Fair! I got ribbons on both of my custom Wing-Bone Turkey Calls that I entered, some ribbons on my photography, and not only a blue ribbon on the custom, hand cut, hand carved, hand stained, hand sewn leather Recipe Book that I made for Mom last Christmas, but it also won Best of Show!!! Needless to say, that $50 prize money has already been spent on new leather working tools [emoji4]

zetanyge.jpg

e4u2e2eb.jpg

Here's a Custom Leather Archery Arm Guard that I made: "Trophy Deer Skull". It's on it's way to Pennsylvania :)

4ynysepu.jpg

Ok, not all of this is outdoor related, but I'm kinda proud of how the police keychains turned out, so I'm going to share those with you, too. So... here's the leatherwork that I've done so far for this month:

Custom ordered "Heavy Metal" bracelet:
9u2u3aru.jpg

Custom ordered Police keychains:
adu4uqu9.jpg

tyju7uze.jpg

y6eteqyq.jpg

de6e9uvu.jpg

The beginning of an Archery Arm Guard:
y6evabe9.jpg

ady3eza6.jpg

Completed Archery Arm Guard with a toggle that I handcrafted out of a Whitetail Deer antler:
ubyzemy3.jpg

Random keychains:
ehe4e6a3.jpg

I replaced a strap and buckle on this:
e4ype8es.jpg

I got an automatic deer feeder at a garage sale a while back, and finally got it all bolted together and running this week. A buddy and I went out yesterday and hung it in what looks to be a very promising spot for the November portion of deer season... we shall see :)

uje5e6y4.jpg

5u8ybaha.jpg

As of today, this custom, handcrafted leather Archery Arm Guard that I made is heading to New York. Making these is getting me all fired up for bow season [emoji457] [emoji4]

jyha3aje.jpg

Got the bow out today for the first time since last season. It took me a few minutes to remember how I had my sights set up, but once I figured it out, I didn't do too shabby. I just hope that I can shoot this well when I have a deer in front of me [emoji6]

2ehu8ugy.jpg

coyotecraig likes this