Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MoHuntress

SASSYRED

112 posts in this topic

Well, for those of you that don\'t know me: I was pretty well born in the saddle. I grew up riding, competing in horse shows and rodeos, training horses, horse judging, you name it. I competed in the APHA World Show\'s Horse Judging Championship in Texas when I was 17, and placed 13th out of over 250 contestants - which I\'m still pretty proud of :thumbup: In 2008, I joined a Missouri based rodeo association, and ended up earning the Reserve Champion buckle for Breakaway Roping at the Finals that year, even after my horse mule-kicked me at the first go-round and jacked up my leg-bone :thumbup:I also grew up thinking I was Annie Oakley ;) I got my first BB gun when I was about 5 or 6? As soon as I proved to be safe and proficient with that, I got my first .22 rifle and .410. I\'ll never forget the first time I shot a gun... I was instantly addicted! When I was 17, Dad and I were deputized at the local Sheriff\'s Office, (we were the only two Rangers to ever be deputized there), which is what got me interested in handguns - since we had to qualify with our firearms, Dad and I began shooting our pistols every day. At the time, I could out-shoot anyone on the department, (with the exception of my Dad - who is legally blind - figure that one out :poke:) I think it\'s because of that that I now enjoy shooting competitively. I enjoy sporting clays, trap, steel challenges - but I\'m best with a hand gun. I can knock clays out the sky all day with the shotgun at the farm, (I get that from my Momma), but for some reason, I compete better with a handgun :hmmm: Mom and I have been Girl Scouts since 1989, (she was my leader, and now we continue to be involved in GS). Because of that, we have had the opportunity to hike, backpack, camp, fish, cave, explore, etc. in some pretty amazing places. I think that\'s one of the reasons I\'m so passionate about the outdoors ;) I\'ve loved to fish all of my life, and have been an avid hunter since high school. I don\'t always fill my tags, but I for sure always have fun!I raised beef cattle for awhile, (after my Grandmother passed away, I bought what I could afford of her heard), but I was so involved in my career, that venture only lasted a few years. I hope to get back into the cattle business someday!I\'ve been in law enforcement for 12 years. I rodeoed on my days off, and like I said before, I did pretty well the first year I was with that association. The next year, (2009), my association began co-sanctioning their rodeos with the Women\'s Pro Rodeo Association, so I bought my Rookie Card with the WPRA. I was having a blast with that, and had qualified for Finals, (with the MFRA, not the WPRA ;)), but unfortunately, two rodeos prior to the Finals, I entered the arena, my horse blew up, and I ended up breaking my back in 7 places, I fractured my eye socket, got a concussion, etc., etc. I still ended up placing in year end points - no buckle, but placing even after being DQ\'d at that rodeo, missing the last two rodeos, AND missing the two go-rounds of finals, is pretty cool with me :grd: However, that ended my rodeo career, and I\'m now in and out of Law Enforcement, but that\'s OK. The EMT said I shouldn\'t have made it through that, and I was told that I probably wouldn\'t walk well on my own after that, if at all - BUT, God obviously had his hand on me that night, and He has continued to heal my mind, body, and soul - after all, look at me now :thumbup: And, I\'m sure God has another plan for me, anyway. On the plus side of my injury, my doctor prescribed HUNTING and being in the woods as much as possible as a form of physical therapy! She also said that bow hunting would strengthen my back muscles, so my Mom bought me a used bow, I practiced with it for a while until I could buy a new one, and I\'ve since became involved in bow shoots, and am still trying to take my first bow harvest. Needless to say, four and a half years later, I\'m still following that doctor\'s order :woohoo:Anyway, because of that, aside from hunting/fishing, I now spend most of my time making wing-bone turkey calls, antler jewelry, \"farm art\", leather goods, etc. AND, you should expect a TON of pictures in my blog! I get pretty excited when it comes to taking photos of wildlife, so brace yourself :popc:Well, that\'s me in a nutshell. I hope you enjoy reading about my expeditions this year - I\'ll try to keep it exciting :wave:

Since retail price for a cheap, plastic tool rack is $12.99 at Tandy Leather, and a chunk of wood with holes drilled in it retails at $49.99, I decided to make my own tool rack. Ten minutes of labor and a free piece of wood that Dad had laying around later, and my tools have a new home :thumbup: And, since I made it myself, I was able to drill the correct size holes in a manner that allows like-tools to be organized next to each other, rather than having to put them all over the place ;)

post-1204-13958932168_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589321681_thumb.jpg

This is why you should be a good kid in school ;) My 6th grade teacher, (from 18 or 19 years ago), said she saw some of my leather projects on Facebook, and asked me to come over to her house to get a box full of leather tools and a slab of marble that she had bought when she worked at Tandy Leather; 20-some-odd years ago. I expected a few tools and the marble. However, I did not expect THAT many tools OR the patterns, craftaids, deer skin, snake skin, suede, tooling leather, books, a rawhide mallet, leather kits, several stamp sets, misc. stamps, dye, antique stain, sheen, etc.! Needless to say, I am one happy girl!!! I can already imagine making a lot of new leather hunting gear in my near future :cooldance:

post-1204-139589321987_thumb.jpg

For some reason, the camera insists on making the color look uneven, (which it\'s not), but here\'s a prototype of a single box shotgun shell belt pouch that I just finished. Veg tan cow hide front and back panels, with a calf skin gusset ;o) A sliced fingertip and two broken needles later, and I\'ve got it ready for some sporting clays ;o)

post-1204-139589321724_thumb.jpg

So, my folks just moved their businesses across town, so we had a little potluck/jam session/party to celebrate the new location. Why am I sharing this with you, you ask? Because not only did we have great local musicians show up to jam, but two members of the Ozark Mountain Daredevils also graced us with their presence :woohoo: How incredibly cool is it that my folks are good enough friends with them that they\'d come play with/for us and customers/friends [emoji106]

Here\'s a few pics:D

Daredevils in the front:post-1204-139589321725_thumb.jpg Local musicians:post-1204-139589321727_thumb.jpg My Dad:post-1204-139589321728_thumb.jpgLocal musicians:post-1204-13958932173_thumb.jpgpost-1204-139589321732_thumb.jpg OMD\'s Ruell Chappell and Nick Sibley: post-1204-139589321734_thumb.jpg

My brother owl came to visit this evening. Our love and compassion for one another is surpassed only by his beauty... I\'m so thankful that God created this majestic creature for us to enjoy, and I\'m thankful that this wonderful little critter chooses to spend most of his time inhabiting our yard... watching over us... choosing to share his home with my family ;)On a related note, he wasn\'t real impressed with my new Down-N-Dirty Barred Owl Call. Hopefully, the turkeys this spring will like it better than he does :popc:post-1204-13958932181_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589321804_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589321806_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589321808_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589321812_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589321814_thumb.jpg

I\'m competing in an NSCA Sporting Clays event this weekend, so I got my shotgun out to make sure it was all clean and ready to go. As you can see, I had a little help cleaning it ;) I think deep down she wants me to take her hunting :thumbup:

post-1204-139589321985_thumb.jpg

Here\'s a couple of custom leather passport wallets I just finished up on as a gift for the lady that gave me all of her leather and leather working paraphernalia ;) She\'s a huge fan of all things Irish: hence the Celtic motif. And, her husband\'s a retired LEO; so, I went all classic duty belt style on his - black basket-weave, and then I painted his initials blue to kind of represent the Thin Blue line :grd:

post-1204-139589321988_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589321991_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589321993_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589321995_thumb.jpg

MARCH, 2014: FIREARMS TRAINING

A buddy of mine puts on firearms trainings, so Mom, Dad, and I took one of his classes last month. Despite the super cold weather, the freezing rain, and the frozen, wet hands, I think everyone did really well! The new shooters all learned something from the class, I'm sure all of us experienced folks each learned something new, and we were all served an exceptional lunch :D

If any of you are in my area, and are looking for some firearms training, or, (GET THIS), interested in going on an African Safari, (he's the U.S.A. representative for Wayne Dell Safaris), check out my buddy's page:  https://www.facebook.com/accurateccwsafari  

Mom's target:

da16ca49-c113-4dde-a05c-ebca8223b26b_zps

Dad's Target:

IMG_20140308_143400_3571_zps85322437.jpg

My target:

IMG_20140308_143327_5851_zpsc7bee1c5.jpg

March 9, 2014

I competed in the Missouri Winter Games' Sporting Clays event in March - for the first time. I didn't get a chance to take any pics, but I did pretty well. Here's the score sheet for my division, (my name's in green for those who don't know ;) ): 

MISSOURI WINTER GAMES - Sporting Clays

LADIES DIVISION
Phyliss Darr GOLD
Quincy Standage SILVER
Jessie Perkins BRONZE

March Music Jam at Perk's Place

Mom and Dad put on another music jam/pot luck in March, which means I got to hang out with and talk about farming and the importance of eating locally grown food with Ozark Mountain Daredevil's very own Ruell Chappell again  :bouncing:  . Oh, my deer chili, Mom's potato salad, the food that all of the other attendees brought, and the music was all pretty good, too :wink:

Ruell with the organic chicken poop lip balm I gave him :laughcry: :

RuellandI_zpse2685695.jpg

Dad playing the harmonica:

100_5869_zps6935363a.jpg

OMD'S Ruell Chappell playing the keybord:100_5835_zps9d690a67.jpg

Ruell and I:

Ruell_zpsac3795a9.jpg

Back in March, this baby bird smacked into the back door, (it's glass). Then Dad brought the dog inside, and the next thing I know, the two dogs are fighting, which is pretty odd. So I look down, and see this bird in the floor. So, I took it to the front porch to one of our bird houses, and after it rested for a while, and being stunned wore off, it was good as new :)

Bird3_zps1a3bdb60.jpgBird2_zpsb5e97696.jpg

I went out to the farm in April to get some Mullein to make oil for my back, (it helps with swollen joints). I also dried some to make tea, (it's good for your respiratory system). Here it is from start to finish:

10259884_10152378729609717_1119423732223100_5886_zpsffbe9f88.jpg10155428_10152378729799717_1475355567289

10178029_10152378729934717_560599286547810246621_10152378730049717_3056283234363

Here are some of my April wildlife photos... Momma owl has a nest in one of our hollow trees in the back yard, and Daddy owl usually isn't too far away. Since the leaves hadn't popped up yet, it was really easy to spot them. Now, we can hear them, but they stay hidden by the leaves.

101_0058_zps2d24e60d.jpg

101_0054_zpsb0633ea9.jpg

101_0048_zps78d49bda.jpg

101_0038_zps39cdd065.jpg

101_0037_zpsbc9e2ea9.jpg

101_0036_zps6a75a38e.jpg

101_0033_zpsc766f5ae.jpg

101_0020_zpsc12c0b4f.jpg

101_0009_zpsea8432dc.jpg

101_0006_zpsb0535ccf.jpg

101_0005_zps51466f39.jpg

101_0003_zpsf48c18e2.jpg

Momma and Daddy Owl ;)

101_0003_zpsb0fcaa76.jpg

1ebe0776-ea16-460f-b26f-984362d22318_zps

08c14898-e5a7-45fa-b02a-4086d6179c16_zps

She was in a fight with a squirrel in this pic :o

9195db5e-4b92-4307-893e-497c97f0807c_zps

We went to Bass Pro right before turkey season, and I figured I just had to have a new lounge/chair vest ;) Totally worth the money by the way!!!

10157268_10202064496034563_4863937388785

I had to take my dog to the Pet E.R. on Easter, (she has a slipped disc.), but when I got back, Mom and I made this cool watermelon bunny. It was a big hit B)

Easter1_zps16b2ff62.jpg

Easter2_zpse67efe39.jpg

Easter3_zps3d4fdbe1.jpg

Easter4_zpsb9ef4d27.jpg

They thought it was hilarious that I can't seem to go anywhere without a camera or two :P

Easter5_zps4c69c1ee.jpg

A real good friend of mine recently got hired on with the PD that he's wanted to work for for years, so as a congratulatory present, I made him this Custom Mini Padfolio. The leather I used is high quality vegetable tanned cow hide with a calf skin liner. The leather was hand cut, hand tooled, hand stained, and hand sewn all by me; right here in the Ozarks. Needless to say, he was happy to get it, and now his co-workers want some :D

419_zps7eba5121.jpg

GIRL SCOUT LEADER WEEKEND: 2014

Hallelujah!!! I got to spend the afternoon with one of my most favorite mentors ever. I can honestly say that there's no way I'd be half the "Caretaker of the Earth" that I am today had God not placed this woman in my life 25 years ago. I f...eel extraordinarily blessed that she had a hand in forming me into the person I so wanted to be; and for all of "Mother Nature's" wisdom, and extreme, undying passion for the outdoors this lady has passed on to me and so many others, I will be eternally grateful!

I also got to learn how to make bee's wax candles, took an outdoor cooking class, took a rifle shooting class, learned more about the history of our camp, and did the night zip line... TWICE ;)

LW4_zps3a652b70.jpg

LW15_zps4d923de7.jpg

LW17_zps01c1ab42.jpg

LW9_zps89e87b79.jpg

LW11_zps5cf22f1d.jpg

LW13_zps1ba6630b.jpg

LW6_zps6c9b98f2.jpg

LW14_zpsd329794b.jpg

LW12_zpsa7678939.jpg

LW8_zps13934231.jpg

LW7_zps739f3309.jpg

LW1_zps1aa5a462.jpg

LW2_zps23a0964c.jpg

LW3_zps147c8d49.jpg

LW5_zps672e75a2.jpg

TURKEY SEASON: 2014

My youngest brother had never been turkey hunting before, so we spent most of the season hunting together. The only thing we could get close to, and we got pretty darn close, were hens. We saw a few toms and a few jakes, but we just couldn't make it happen. I did find a couple of morrels, and we did get to see several deer and a bobcat, but unfortunately I didn't have my camera with me for the cat, and I didn't think to pull out the video camera.

I went by myself a couple of times, and I did have several jakes come up one day, but my stupid decoy spooked them back to where they came from. So, I belly-crawled about 300 yards across an old dried up cornfield, crossed a fence, got in the tall weeds and spotted them again, but as soon as I went to pull up my gun, they took off.

Needless to say, neither one of us filled any tags this time, but it's always good to spend time with family in the outdoors anyway [emoji6]

My brother using an old turkey fan to put the sneak attack on some birds:

uqage7am.jpg

An owl feather I found after belly-crawling after the jakes:

uzygybun.jpg

ehypujat.jpg

Butterfly:

dabyperu.jpg

y9uta4en.jpg

u5ysave4.jpg

Blackberries!!!

a4yvuny5.jpg

equ9e4ur.jpg

2e8ejuzy.jpg

y9y7yzad.jpg

etyse5ej.jpg

y3yha6yv.jpg

tysuqu3u.jpg

yre7uqej.jpg

6ejaqu7y.jpg

TRADED SOME CUSTOM WORK FOR SOME TANNED DEER HIDES

This custom order has made it's way to the great state of Florida, and the results are in: the proud new owner is happy, happy, happy!

These handcrafted, period correct goodies will be used by a man that portrays a 17th century long-hunter at Pow Wows.

I made the mountain man style knife sheath with high quality vegetable tanned cow hide, and adorned it with antiqued brass spots. I designed, cut, set the spots, tooled, stained, sewed, and slicked the edges all by hand. I also wet molded this by hand to securely fit an Old Hickory style trade knife.

I made the Gourd Canteen using a Tobacco Box Gourd, and carved/shaped the cork/stopper using a Whitetail deer antler. I lined the inside of this canteen with four coats of paraffin wax to ensure that it's leak proof, and coated the outside with bee's wax to protect it from the elements. I hand carved the bible verse, and made the carrier/adjustable sling using hemp twine.

py4e8e5u.jpg

2a3a7ure.jpg

emarejaj.jpg

SUMMERTIME MEANS FISHING TIME [emoji6]

So, I made some dough balls in May, (catfish stink bait), the smell was so horrific that I had to leave the kitchen as it caused an instant headache, and Dad asked what's that he smelled - he thought I was fixing dinner, and that meaty aroma smelled good. LOL! The smell finally hit him, and needless to say I won't be making it in the house any more [emoji12] (it's a good thing that what I made will keep in the fridge for several months I guess).

We haven't caught any on it yet, but hopefully we will soon [emoji476]

ganymesu.jpg

SQUIRRELS DOWN!!!

My little buddy sent me this pic on the second day of squirrel season last month. He wanted me to know that the paracord squirrel carrier I made for him was being put to good use [emoji106]

Kids in the woods using handcrafted hunting gear - it doesn't get much better than that, folks [emoji6]

mu3umere.jpg