Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
indiana stalker

Indiana stalker 2013 Log

27 posts in this topic

Yesterday was basically a bust. Ended up sick and only had a shot on a fawn. Today was one of the worst days I\'ve had in years. Forgot my golden spike, made a miss calculation on direction trying a new area after work. Lost an arrow End up in the thickest brier patch I\'ve been in in years. Got busted 2x because of a stupid cough I pick up over the weekend. Couldn\'t find a tree to put my climber in. End up walking back to the truck putting the climber in the truck and hunting off the ground for the last 1 1/2 hours. I did get set up on a doe and 2 fawns. Just to early to shoot does with fawns and the fawns just weren\'t big enough to be worth the time. That\'s my rant for today.. But hey any day hunting beats a day sitting on the couch. Hopefully if the cold gives in a little I get back at it again tomorrow.

Didn\'t get to go out tonight went to the doc to see about getting ride of the stupid cough that got me busted. Turns out I either have a chest cold/ infection aggravated by me smoking or I have pneumonia. They did a chest Xray and gave me a pile of pills and an inhaler. I find out in the morning how long ill be laid up for. Almost went out tonight anyway but no reason to get busted in a good stand site for nothing.

Shot a small yearling doe this morning. Shot low and back sent a quick follow up shot landed in nearly the same place ended up having to track the deer 60-70 yards and shot it a 3rd and final time in a bed Not alot of meat but enough to take the edge off for a couple weeks. Up until this morning i only had 2 lbs of meat in the freezer, sould end up with about 10-15 lbs of hamberger steaks and roast. Hunt continues. Oh saw a 160 plus buck while tracking the doe. Awsome looking deer not supper wide but tall with split g2s

post-4002-139589319783_thumb.jpg

Still seeing deer moving mid-day. yesterday is about the best morning action I have seen all year and ive been hunting nearly everyday. Deer count was around 12 yesterday 8-9 doe, 1 160\'s buck and a couple fawns. Wife almost hit a small buck coming onto post yesterday around noon... I may try an all day sit this weekend just not sure if im up for dealing with the bugs for the whole day. Need to get some wood cut to. chain saw is acting up so we will see.

went out today got up late didn\'t see anything this am. I went out to the same area I shot the little fawn to set on a real nice 160 buck Im trying to pattern. But anyway was picking a tree on his known route to set the climber heard wrestling in the leaves so I froze ready to shot... out steps this sow. Sent the Muzzy 100 to work. Short blood trail think I only got one lung put the second arrow on it and brought home the bacon.

post-4002-139589319847_thumb.jpg

I am going to miss this cold front moving in. I have to go to Indiana for a funeral. But I will be swinging in a tree near a corn field for at least a day. may only be shooting with the cam but we will see. This will be a horns only hunt this trip no time to deal with a doe. 1200 miles in 5 days might get 2 days of hunting in maybe looking like 2 mornings and 1 evening but who knows..

Well new set, deer everywhere. Looking good. Set the stand to hunt any wind and have to call a little to get deer in range. Should be awesome come rifle season wish I had some better pics. Had a nice little 8 in range let him and some does walk. Watched a pair of fawns stand on hind legs and fight.. butted heads a few times was kinda cool to watch. think im taking the week off. Be back at it again come saterday. I\'ll keep the bow and climber in the work car just in case. Oh seen 11 deer yesterday 5 today in the stand and 15 on the way to the store. Deer are moving hard tonight

Watched 2 bucks fight it out for 45 minutes last night. Got stepped on 3 times yesterday:nonono: stupid public land hunting.... Had some deer in range watched 2 guys take does when they sat right on top on me... like just outside my 40 yard marker.:iws:Plus side a buddy of mine took a nice main frame 8 with a bunch of stickers at the bases. Will post picture for him later. Spent the night tracking and butchering for him. moving on to another new spot tonight so we will see what happens hopefully I see more deer then people.

Shot a little 8 point tonight didn\'t plan on shooting it just kinda happened. Watched it feed for an hour deer went to leave the field and I hit the Buck commander just to try and keep him in the field came right into 8 yards. double lunged short crappy blood trail shot was a hair high but its all cut up in the fridge to age for 2 or 3 days before making some hamburger and steaks. Come one 16 November so I can start hunting again.

Went to move a stand to what I thought was to rough of an area for any sane person to go out to. Turned out 2nd stop of the truck to walk a ridge line walked within 40 yards of someone In a tree. :cry: After I pissed the guy off walking by smoking i stopped to talk to him for a second turned out they were not local and his buddy\'s tree stand was stolen. Sucks... Felt bad for walking on top of him ended up offering his buddy my climber for the week he declined.....back to the drawing board I guess. Still got an ace in the hole but running out of cards quick. Going to regroup tonight and hopefully ill post a picture from 25-30ft high up an oak tree tomorrow (real thick cover have to get real high to see down into it)

Stopped by the local game wardens office passed on the bookoo posting. So somebody sould be getting there stolen stand back the next day or so. Kinda wish I would have got the guys name that lost when I bumped into him in the woods. Public land hunting at its best LOL

Yup. Just waiting to walk to an empty tree one morning. Haven\'t had it happen yet and hopefully it never does. Really gets my blood boiling when these bottomfeeders come out and do that crap. Anyways 2 more days man.... Took the 20 ga out again for lunch today. Shoots better dirty I found. Shooting under 2\" groups now. Gonna be a good year despite the warm temps.

Well its been a year since I updated this thing might as well do it while I'm sitting on a range. I've been hunting a lot seen lots of hogs and tons of does I've have yet to see a buck from the stand. I have a awesome set ready to go for opening day of rifle season literally the best trail I've ever seen in Missouri. Right on a bedding area. I set the stand last year and stayed out all but this last weekend I went in just to ensure the stand was still there stayed 60 yards from the tree. I saw close to 20 deer in a morning from this stand last year and I'm pretty sure its even better this year. Until then...This is the final year for my PSE like to send her out with a bang and fill them buck tags but we will see how it goes. End of the season I'm going to pick up a new bow. That's long enough for now see ya Friday morning when the temps are in the 30's.

Was out last night jumped a small buck on the way in. Set deep at the bottom of a ridge. Had 2 deer come in at the same time from different directions just ran out of light. I ended up hitting the call trying to speed them up ended up stalling them. Came in to 15 yards but I couldn't see the pins and only the outline of the deer. Don't think I can get out tonight have a trunk or treat thing I have to be at so I will be 20 feet high Friday morning