Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
killmode

EHD 2013?

12 posts in this topic

Anyone else find any this year? My son found this one Saturday in Macon county. Our number one 5 1/2 yr old hit lister hasn\'t shown himself in a couple weeks on cams... Sure hope he hasn\'t become another EHD victim post-1024-139589319016_thumb.jpg

Highly unlikely it\'s EHD this year... could be, but unlikely.... Most likely hit by a car, poached, etc etc etc... Yes, yes, yes, I know ehd can happen all the time, any time,,,, most pronounced in drought periods because of the concentration and the likelihood to spread..... yada yada yada ... but unless you have it tested, you\'ll never know if it was ehd or not....

Highly unlikely it\'s EHD this year... could be, but unlikely.... Most likely hit by a car, poached, etc etc etc... Yes, yes, yes, I know ehd can happen all the time, any time,,,, most pronounced in drought periods because of the concentration and the likelihood to spread..... yada yada yada ... but unless you have it tested, you\'ll never know if it was ehd or not....
Extremely dry in north mo where this deer was found. Nearly all the rains are swinging north or south of north Macon county

I don\'t believe it is EHD either. Much wetter this year even though is it dry and EHD doesn\'t usually have 2 years of much mortality. We\'re right above Macon and no signs of it anywhere. It is dry, bit creeks and streams are holding much more water this year than last. Could be any number of things that took the buck out.

There is EHD every year, last year was just widespread because the drought was widespread. This buck may not be an EHD victim but it was healthy on our cams in late June. Disappeared, found decomposed in a creek that is nearly dried up. Textbook signs of EHD. With the exception of one rain last week it has been extremely dry again this year. There was no rain for 5 weeks till last week and June had very little. Food plots were bone dry last weekend when we were up. I hope it wasn\'t EHD but our number one shooter 5 1/2 yr old hasn\'t shown himself in two weeks... Has me worried. He wasn\'t camera shy at all this yr or last.

There is EHD every year, last year was just widespread because the drought was widespread. This buck may not be an EHD victim but it was healthy on our cams in late June. Disappeared, found decomposed in a creek that is nearly dried up. Textbook signs of EHD. With the exception of one rain last week it has been extremely dry again this year. There was no rain for 5 weeks till last week and June had very little. Food plots were bone dry last weekend when we were up. I hope it wasn\'t EHD but our number one shooter 5 1/2 yr old hasn\'t shown himself in two weeks... Has me worried. He wasn\'t camera shy at all this yr or last.
Sounds like EHD to me. Last year, I had regular pics of a couple good ones, but in August of 2012, the pics stopped and I haven\'t saw those bucks since.

Yes, there is EHD everyyear, but some years is almost non existent. Again, my belief is it is not EHD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Especially with the severity of last year. Deer die of other natural causes yearly.

Yes, there is EHD everyyear, but some years is almost non existent. Again, my belief is it is not EHD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!Especially with the severity of last year. Deer die of other natural causes yearly.
Oh well that settles it then lol. Name one natural cause other than EHD or Blue Tongue where a normal looking, healthy looking 2 year old buck ends up dead in a hole of water. A betting person would bet it was some sort of hemoragic disease because those are the textbook signs. North Macon county is in another drought, almost as bad as last year but not quite because it has been cooler this summer compared to last summer. The stream he was found in is dried up other than shallow pools of water here and there. Bare mud banks that attract midge flies are surrounding the water holes. Again, textbook conditions. Geesh. Seems like someone just wants to argue the conclusion they came to regardless of the facts surrounding the topic. I suppose he could have been struck by lightning or shot by a poacher but logic points to EHD. FYI. . . Macon co conservation agent Matt Bergfeld said he has had numerous reports of dead deer in or near water in the area. He was also suspecting EHD.

You could some EHD in areas this year, but it will be much less widespread, and much less damaging even in localized areas than last year.

Agree it won\'t be widespread because only parts of north mo are in drought but as far as how damaging it can be locally I can\'t agree with. If it stays dry, every deer in the affected area is vulnerable. Sounds bad I know but my main concern is with 3 specific bucks. If they fall to EHD l will be bumming. Sure hoping for a few inch\'s of rain and soon.

Dang someone is a lil touchy about it huh?
Deer hunting is serious stuff lol. Talked to a neighbor up there Saturday and he says we have had a total of 8/10\" in the past 8 weeks. Keepin my fingers crossed that we get some soon.