Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
2Redd

Question about the "40%" of private gun sales

12 posts in this topic

I\'ve been wondering how \"they\" know the number is 40% ? I\'m having a real problem with this pulling things outa the \"air\" and calling it \"facts\" . I keep seeing this 40% in all the places I read concerning the gun ban . If something is private how on earth do they know enuff about it to figure it to a percentage . Am I just paying too much attention ? :puzzled:

I think that number represents the percentage of guns sold at gun shows. 60% of sales at gun shows are done through a dealer with a FFL, and 40% are private sales between individuals. That doesn\'t take into account all of the private sales not at gun shows.

I still don’t get it . I know there are numbers available for the ffl but I\'ve never seen a \"tally sheet \" of who brings what who sell what . the person pays a fee for a \"booth\" the private seller took my $ and I seen nothing that could be used to form a % off of . IDK I must just no be capable of understanding this one . I could buy the number of 40% of sellers at a show being private party sellers but the 40% of guns I\'m wrestling with

To be honest, I\'m not sure the actual number matters all that much. Maybe it\'s 40%, maybe it\'s 20%, or maybe it\'s 70%. What matters is that if some type of universal background check is established that requires private sellers to perform a background check on another individual, private sales of firearms will drop dramatically. To think that if you wish to transfer or sell a firearm to your father, you\'ll have to have a background check done on him is just ridiculous.

That 40% statistic is a lie plain and simple. It came from a study done in the Clinton era. Obama knows its not accurate but it fits his agenda so that\'s all that matters.

Outlaw guns and only outlaws will have guns .At one time it was said jokingly . now?The only way the background/transfer will work is on the honor system or for them to record every serial # well I\'ve already stated my position on that so lets just say lets not let lips sink ships and were good ;)

The only way the background/transfer will work is on the honor system or for them to record every serial #
Maybe, but I doubt all that many people will be willing to become a criminal just to sell a gun. I seriously doubt we\'d be able to allow members of this forum to post firearms for sale as we do now. I don\'t think we\'d want to be a party in the sale of a firearm when we can\'t be sure the sale is legal.

[rquote=191578&tid=19022&author=killmode]That 40% statistic is a lie plain and simple. surely you jest :roll: the government telling an untruth . :littleman:My point is how can we have a government that cant even give us truthful figures on something so simple as this and believe them on matters where the numbers mean something; such as the national debt,economic growth or even election numbers . yet we let them propose gun regs. the very thing we must keep the right to to keep em \"honest\".

one of the other forums I joined is debating that very issue Deerman seems to be the concensus of the mods there that the transaction wouldn\'t happen on the actual web site so they may leave the classified section up should legislation pass as long as it doesn\'t include sites such as trading post or classifieds .thus bringing in the honor system . If Joe down the road wants to buy one of mine and he don’t seem \"fishy\" well id k.

Personally, I\'d have to have a talk with an attorney after any legislation was passed to determine whether or not there would be any legal ramifications against SMO in the event a gun sale posted here wasn\'t legal.

That 40% statistic is a lie plain and simple. It came from a study done in the Clinton era. Obama knows its not accurate but it fits his agenda so that\'s all that matters.
Nailed it! :cheers: