ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MoHuntress

SASSYRED~2013-2014

Way to plan an event, Mt. Grove. Thanks to your incompetence, you somehow over-sold tickets, (by A LOT), and what you advertised as \"Dinner and Fellowship with Uncle Si\", was nothing of the sort. Thanks to your awesome organizational skills, Uncle Si didn\'t even have time to speak like he was supposed to. A lot of people had to stand up to eat your nuked, crunchy, three strings of pulled pork on a bun, while most people didn\'t even get their meals until after 9p.m., (the dinner began at 6p.m.). Then, Mom and I waited with three anxious, over-heated children for five hours for the \"table by table\" \"meet and greet\", just to find out that you skipped over our table completely. Then, when we finally did get to be in line, (thanks to my momma), you tell us that Si doesn\'t have time to sign autographs for the over 1500 people you somehow crammed into your non-air conditioned barn, and that we\'re not allowed to take any pictures, either. Now, I don\'t mind having to pay your photographer for a photo, but being told that she\'s done taking pictures when not even half of the people have had their turns yet was beyond ridiculous! Thank God I have an assertive Momma that demanded a picture for her grandkids, or we wouldn\'t have got one at all! Then, your event staff tells everyone in line that Si won\'t have time to speak, causing most of us to leave early. Then I find out that he did speak after we all left! I feel sorry for the kids for not being able to get their memorabilia signed, and I feel really bad for Si for making the trip to MO for this huge flop, but I am thankful for him being great with my niece and nephews, (even if it was only for a very short 30 seconds). However, it was in no way, shape, or form worth the $300 in tickets! Oh, and thank you, Mt. Grove, for allowing your ticket takers to be drunk. It really pleases me to go to a family event with idiots breathing their nasty beer breath on children. I think I\'m done now...Now, I\'ll get off of my soap box and share the photo that we had to search for, as the photographer didn\'t keep the photo number and names in order. Forgive the blurred out faces, their folks would\'ve been upset that I posted them on a public site ;)

post-1204-139589319439_thumb.jpg

So, there\'s a Bushcraft Trading Post group on Facebook where you can find a lot of cool hunting/camping items for trade from all over the world. A guy posted a few things that he had hand forged, and I asked if he wanted to trade for his tomahawk. I didn\'t have anything he was interested in, but then he noticed that I\'m only about an hour away from where he works, and said if I wanted to make the drive, I could just have the hawk if I\'d agree to review it for him - kind of be a product tester to make sure he got the temper just right. Needless to say, I gladly accepted the offer :cool:A few days later, I met up with him. He\'s a super great guy, and showed me a few of the knives and hatchets he\'s made out of old saw blades, leaf springs, etc. They were all amazing! But anyway, the hawk was even better than the picture on Facebook! He made the head from a leaf spring off of an old Ford, (AWESOME), and turned the handle on his lathe using some old barn wood he found. I absolutely love hand crafted items, and this is even better since he made it completely out of recycled materials! And, these being from a Ford and a barn make even more special for me :grd:post-1204-13958931944_thumb.jpg Anyway, it didn\'t come with a sheath, which is fine with me, because as we all know, I thoroughly enjoy working with leather. So, I spent two days making one for it. It was my first hawk sheath I\'ve ever made, but I think I did pretty well on it; and I think it was worth the time and headache :thumbup:post-1204-139589319441_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319442_thumb.jpg

There\'s a big bow shoot in Marshfield, so I thought I should make myself an archery arm guard. I stayed up pretty late to make it, and ended up having to finish it just minutes before I had to leave for the shoot, but I think it looks pretty good. You can\'t tell from the picture, but the top and bottom boarder is turkey tracks, and the side boarders are deer tracks ;)

We had a great time at the annual Webster County Baptist Association\'s bow shoot today! Mom and Dad took two of my nephews for the kids\' activities, and I went to fling some arrows. The kids got to practice shooting recurves and compounds, and did really well :grd: Dad and one of the Cross Trail Outfitters guys got to have a little fun making the kids think that Dad could control a deer target, (remote controlled target), just by talking to it, the boys built bird houses, we all got really nice Sportsmen\'s, (camo), Bibles for free, Mom, Dad, and I got to hand-forge tomahawks, and the boys got to hand-forge dinner bells, just as God forged us ;) I only had time to shoot about 75% of the targets, but I did pretty well. I even came pretty close to hitting the center of a \"prize target\". We even won some of those sticker targets with animals on them in a raffle :thumbup: I met a lot of cool people, heard an awesome message, but I did lose an arrow at the Iron Buck Competition. Other than that, it was a pretty great day for all of us :cooldance:post-1204-139589319513_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319516_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319518_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319523_thumb.jpg One of the targets the boys shot up - they did even better on the 3D targets:post-1204-139589319521_thumb.jpg

Well folks, it happened four years ago tonight. My horse threw me, stepped on me, and rolled me around while competing in a rodeo. He broke my back in seven place, gave me a concussion, fractured my eye socket - among other injuries. Although I\'ve endured a lot of pain and heartache these last four years, and will continue to endure the pain for many moons to come, I know it happened for a reason. God has been so good to me! I asked for his guidance, and four days later I found myself face down in the dirt - and I\'m a better, stronger person because of this! The EMT watched it happen, and said I shouldn\'t have lived through it - but God knew what he was doing; and fortunately, I had a few angels with me that night, as well as a Momma that hurdled the fence like grease lightning, and a Dad, niece, and an awesome rodeo family that wasn\'t far behind. I\'m so thankful for each and every one of them; whether they were there to hold my hand, to take care of my horse, find my glasses and hat, or just had so much love for me that they couldn\'t even stand to look at the pain in my face. Thank you ALL! And, thank God for giving me the outdoors, and for giving me a doctor that thinks spending time there is a great form of physical therapy ;)post-1204-139589319525_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589319527_thumb.jpg

Mom bought some Mums, and when my brother\'s youngest two came over, they decided that they wanted to help plant them. They love planting flowers with my Mom - just about as much as she loves planting flowers with them ;)

post-1204-139589319528_thumb.jpg

Dad and I went to the farm today. We FINALLY had time to go add another ratchet strap to the buddy stand, and clear my shooting lanes. There are trails and sign all over just about fourteen yards from the stand, and a bedding area not too far away, as well :thumbup:Then, we walked down to the bottom forty and scoped out where Dad will be hunting. When we did, we spooked a TON of turkeys off the pond and also right by where he\'ll be sitting come bow season :cooldance: Of course, my camera was in the truck, so I didn\'t get any pics of them :cry:We smelled something on the way down, so on the walk back to the truck, we decided to track it down. It ended up being a snake that looked like a bird had dropped it there. I think it was either a rat snake or a water moccasin :hmmm:Anyway, we can\'t wait for opening day of bow season to get here ;)post-1204-139589319529_thumb.jpg

Dad decided that since bow season opens tomorrow, he\'d better get in as much practice as he can. So, we spent most of the day getting him all dialed in with the Colt recurve that I bought him for Christmas last year :thumbup: Wish us luck ;)post-1204-13958931998_thumb.jpg

OPENING DAY OF BOW SEASON!!!Not much to report today. Early this morning, I had a hen run as fast as she could on the neighbor\'s side of the fence down towards our pond. And, I heard turkeys clucking all morning. That was about the only thing I could hear very well over the sound of the cicadas :duh: Not long after that, I had a few Toms walk by, (on the neighbor\'s side). Later, I got in a fight with a hornet that was trying to take a grasshopper into the pipes of my tree stand. I ended up bumping into my camera while I was trying to swat at him, so I went to fix it, (the camera), and as soon as I looked up, there was a spike about 20 yards directly in front of me - staring right at me. I sat as still as I could, and when he put his head down to eat, I tried to get the camera on him. But unfortunately, he decided to walk off into the thick brush where I couldn\'t see him any more :cry:It soon got dark, so Dad and I met up to head back to the truck. He said he saw a ton of turkeys down in the bottom field, but they were too far away to take a shot at. And, he said he even saw a real nice six point. He said the buck looked at him for several minutes, pawing the ground, snorting, grunting - really putting on a good show. He was looking through his binoculars when he spotted the buck, (which was only about 40 or so yards off), and said his arms got sooo tired from having to hold the binoculars up so he wouldn\'t make a bunch of movement :duh: But, he said it was worth it to see such beauty :thumbup: He said next time, I need to sit with him so I can get that on film ;) I just think it\'s too bad that he couldn\'t move to reach for bow... maybe next time, though!Then, after spending the whole day in the woods, Mom had a nice, home-cooked meal on the table waiting for us as soon as we walked in the door. Ya just can\'t beat that with a stick :thumbup:I got some pretty decent footage of the turkeys, and a funny little video of a squirrel, but unfortunately, this computer won\'t read my video files for some reason. I\'ll try to post them later from a different computer, though :cheers:post-1204-139589319982_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319983_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319986_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319988_thumb.jpg

Well, they pulled one over on me. I got a Surprise Birthday Party at Red Lobster tonight! I didn\'t even put two and two together when I saw part of the family in the parking lot :laughcry: The best present I could ever get is having twelve of the people that I love and cherish the most take the time to spend the evening with me - and I got just that. They all made this \"mile-stone\" birthday so special!!! [Even if I did have to be sang to in public ;) ] post-1204-139589319989_thumb.jpg

Well, I had intended on spending my birthday in the woods, but that just didn\'t work out. BUT, at least I got to see a few deer today anyway - and, Mom made me a special pork chop dinner - can\'t beat that :thumbup:post-1204-139589319991_thumb.jpgpost-1204-13958931999_thumb.jpg

Fall turkey season is upon us!!! I didn\'t get to go yesterday, but I spent all day today in the woods. On my way down to my blind, I came across two turtles. I passed them on by, and ended up having to turn right back to get something out of the truck. So, on my way back up the hill, the turtles seemed to have had a little mishap. That made for some pretty funny pictures :laughcry: So, I flipped him back over, and headed back to the blind. I sat there all day, and only saw three hens, and they weren\'t letting the grass grow under their feet what-so-ever. They came through the woods to the South of me, passed by about 30 yards in front of me, and were gone into the thick brush in no time. I couldn\'t get them on camera due to the thick woods. I was hoping they\'d get a drink from the pond in front of me before they took off, but I guess they had other plans. So, I just continued to sit there watching the bug play on the locust tree by my blind until dark, then packed it up, and headed home.I didn\'t see a whole lot of activity today, but I think sitting by this pond may just pay off this season :thumbup:post-1204-139589319995_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319997_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589319999_thumb.jpg

I went turkey hunting again today. About an hour before dark, I had four Toms come from where the hens came from yesterday. They stayed in the thicket, and then finally roosted within a stone\'s throw from my blind; moving from tree to tree until they finally got comfortable. I later quietly tried to sneak out of my blind to head home. After taking a few steps, one of the Toms got spooked by me, and flew off; then another, then another, until they all took off. It was pretty hard to be sneaky when they were right on top of me :duh: I think I may move my blind to the other side of the pond next time, since that\'s where they\'ve been coming from. I have a clear shot from where I\'m at now, but only if they\'re actually ON the pond bank. But, being on the other side would give me access to the pond, and the brush where they\'re walking through, as well :hmmm:I also had a pair of Screech Owls spend the ENTIRE day with me today. I can do without the spooky screeching, but I love how they\'re willing to share their home with me! It sounds weird, but they kind of make me feel safe, or at peace, when they\'re around - it\'s kind of like they\'re watching over me I guess ;) I was hoping for a clear pic of both members of the happy couple, but I kinda like how this turned out, too :thumbup:post-1204-139589320002_thumb.jpg

The MDC\'s Wonders of Wildlife School at Roaring River is this weekend... which is something we look forward to all year long :thumbup:Today, we stopped off at Wal-Mart on the way there, and Dad and the kiddos were put in charge of getting our snacks. $150 worth of junk food later, I do believe we\'ll survive the next three days :popc:Anyhow, once we got all checked into our cabin, we headed down to the river to do a little trout fishing. My dog tried to help me fish, but that didn\'t work out very well :P My eleven year old niece was the only one to catch any. She caught one on an orange salmon egg. After she caught it, she and my Mom went on a hike while the rest of us fished. I think she got a little bored only catching one - she\'s used to pond fishing. My oldest nephew even said we should have just went to his uncle\'s, (my bother\'s), pond - because he knew we\'d catch a bunch of fish there :128:Then, we went to the Park\'s hotel\'s restaurant, waited FOREVER to be waited on, and then finally got to eat dinner. Then we checked in to W.O.W., and the kid\'s first class looked pretty boring, so they decided to skip out on it. I was supposed to go fish gigging, but since that class was being put on by federal employees, it was cancelled due to the government shut-down. What gets my goat, is that those instructors tried to volunteer their own PERSONAL boats, gear, gas, etc., AND work for free, but were told by their boss that if they did, they would be fired :puzzled: I guess I\'ll keep my thoughts about that to myself :nonono:Anyway, we then headed back to our cabin... so as to get a good night\'s sleep for tomorrow\'s activities. The cool thing is, my niece said that the hike she and my Mom went on was her favorite part of the day. Mom thought that was pretty special, too :thumbup: And, this is my six year old nephew\'s first time going with us, so this should be a pretty fun weekend ;)post-1204-139589320008_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320009_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320016_thumb.jpgpost-1204-139589320011_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320013_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320014_thumb.jpg

Day 2 of the W.O.W. School:When we woke up this morning, it was storming/lightning pretty bad. Everybody\'s morning classes were outside, but mine was to be under a tent. Needless to say, the rest of the family decided to sleep in, and go fishing when the lightning stopped. But, since my class was being held under a large tent, I went ahead to my class.In my class, I got to learn how to make and use an atlatl and atlatl darts. It was really cool :thumbup: We each got to make one atlatl thrower out of a piece of river cane, and one out of a piece of hickory. After we cut and shaped those to our likings, we each got one piece of river cane to cut to size to make our darts. The instructor started the fire by way of bow drill, and then we used the fire to straiten our darts. We used a smaller piece of river cane as our practice tips, and since the instructor forgot to bring feathers, we used duct tape, yes, duct tape, to make our fletchings :roll:When we were all done, we got to practice using our new weapons on a target that the instructor provided. Atlatls are a lot easier to make and use than what I had thought! I\'m not exactly perfectly accurate with them yet, but it doesn\'t take much force at all to fling your dart at a fairly high speed ;)The rest of my family was fishing down by the hatchery by then, so as soon as I was done in that class, I started walking towards the hatchery. I walked with a couple of classmates for a ways which was nice, but had I known it was that far, I would\'ve called Mom and asked for a ride :duh: I could\'ve swore it was closer :hmmm:Anyway, when I finally got there, Mom was on her way to get me :roll: So, I flagged her down, and she said to go ahead and fish with the rest of our outfit, and she\'d come back with some lunch :thumbup: Dad caught one trout that he released, and I was trying to catch a trout I spotted wearing a pink tag. Dad had signed us all up for a contest at the Park Store - whomever got a trout with a pink awareness tag on it would win a prize. But, Dad\'s trout was the only one our outfit caught that day.After lunch, we all headed to our next classes. Mom, Dad, and my two nephews went to Traditional Archery, and my niece and I went to Survival 2. Since Mom, Dad, and the boys thought the class was for Advanced Archery rather than Traditional, and since they weren\'t getting to shoot much due to so many other, (extra), students being there anyway, they cut out pretty quick. Mine and Emily\'s class wasn\'t much to write home about either. The instructor kept choosing the same two young boys to do all of the hands on stuff, and totally left the younger girls, (and everyone else), out. He brought in some pre-cut cedar to show us how to build a shelter. I didn\'t much care for that since we were ten feet from the woods, and the kids/new to the woods folks didn\'t get to learn how to process their own materials, but what do ya do? Emily made friends with another little girl, and they had fun keeping the fire going while the instructor ignored them, so it wasn\'t a total loss. About that time, the rest of our part showed up to get us. They brought my dog with them so she could stretch her legs, and the girl Emily was playing with asked if she could pet her. Mom said, \"Sorry, but no - she bites\". So... she asked me :puzzled: \"No, she bites when she gets scared, and strangers scare her\". The girl says, \"She does look pretty scared and aggravated. Oh, I don\'t care\" - goes to grab her and... you guessed it... got snapped at :freak: Sissy doesn\'t bite down hard, just enough to tell ya to leave her alone. Anyway, that was pretty odd, so I thought I\'d share :hmmm:After that, we chilled out at the cabin for a while, then went to the fish fry/silent auction/live auction. Although fun, and good eating, (the fish and cobblers, ok, all of it, was delicious), Mom didn\'t win the Silver Dollar City tickets she bid on, and I didn\'t win the Tandy Leather Kit I bid on :( I think they should\'ve had Dad do the auctioneering, too :PAfter that, we went back to the cabin, the kids insisted on feeding everyone with the spray can of cool whip, and finally went to bed to get rested up for tomorrow :thumbup:post-1204-139589320205_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320207_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958932021_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320212_thumb.jpg

W.O.W. School: Day 3Today, we packed up our stuff, and signed out of the cabin, and Mom, the boys, and I took a class on how to make River Cane Blow Guns and Darts, and Dad and Emily took a class on Rapelling. Our instructor started a fire by friction with a bow drill, and after we got our river canes all bored out, (which was a HUGE pain), we held them over the fire and then shaped them over wood rounds to get them as strait as possible. It was kind of hard to do, since the cane was still green, but we got it done with the help of a friendly classmate :thumbup: After that, we got to learn to make the darts, which was our favorite. To do this, we used dried up thistle flowers. It was a really cool process, and Mom and I love how the Indians came up with that - how could they think to do that :hmmm: Anyway, for the dart shafts, we used bamboo. We all sat around in a circle - learning together as the instuctor told the story of how he had learned to do this from an old Indian man. After we were all done, we all got to practice with our new weapons. It was pretty cool! They\'re kinda of hard to use, as they take a lot of air to operate, but the boys had a blast making them; and so did Mom and I :thumbup:As we were practicing, we saw Dad and Emily walking our way. Dad didn\'t rapell, but Emily did and she said it was way cool! She got scared last year, and chickened out - the lady infront of her slipped, and hit the side of the bluff - so I don\'t blame Emily for not wanting to do it ;) I\'m really glad she did it this year, though :thumbup:After that, we stopped for lunch at Sonic and headed home. We all had a great time together this weekend, and can\'t wait to go again next year :woohoo:post-1204-139589320214_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320216_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320217_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320219_thumb.jpg

Not long ago, I got a vintage Sterno Stove with a couple of cans of Sterno at a local flea market for like $2 or $3. I also got a Stanley cook set, (a stainless pot with a draining lid and two hard plastic nesting cups), at Walmart for around $14. I figured I\'d better test them out at home before I depended on them in the woods, so I did just that this evening. I\'m used to cooking with cast iron on an open fire, so I wasn\'t expecting my water to boil as fast as it did. So, my noodles were a little over-done, but I\'m happy with my new kit, nonetheless :thumbup:

post-1204-139589320819_thumb.jpg

post-1204-13958932082_thumb.jpg

There\'s nothing like a good Bon Fire Party with good friends, good food, good music, nice walks to the pond, and long rides on the side-by-side to take a tour of the property :thumbup:post-1204-139589320822_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320823_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320821_thumb.jpg

I took my nephew out for Opening Day of Youth Season, and boy did we have a good time! After watching turkeys in the field all morning, and being heartbroken about spooking a doe that was behind us because he had to get out of the blind due to too much tea, Silas decided that we would stay in the blind for as long as it took to fill his tag. After about five hours of being in the blind, I spotted a young buck come over the hill. Silas didn\'t believe me when I told him to get his gun, and just as soon as he stood up to see through the window, before I could load his gun, some turkeys spooked the buck into the woods. Silas then asked me to try to call him back, because that was the deer he wanted. I hit the grunt a few times, and a little while later, the buck came back into the field. He was about 40 yards in front of us, and Silas was really excited that the buck was that close. The buck was staring right at us, so I hurried to load the gun, and Silas didn\'t waste any time in taking his shot. BOOM, the buck jumped, and ran into the woods. We reviewed our video over and over, and knew he made a great shot! So, after a painstakingly long 30 minutes, we went to find his buck. I was worried because there was no blood on the ground what-so-ever, but Silas assured me that he made a good shot. Then, about twenty yards into the thick woods, Silas spotted his buck :woohoo: Although young, the buck was even bigger than we thought! Silas got a nice seven point! I told him that I was so glad that I got to be there with him for this, and he told me that he was glad he got to show me how to kill a buck :poke: So, after help arrived with the truck, and after several phone calls, we entered his harvest in a local Big Buck Contest, where he scored 58\" and weighed in at 115 pounds. Silas is nine years old, this is his third buck in three years, and he can\'t wait to head to the woods again!Aside from getting to be there with him as he filled his tag, one of the best parts of the day was seeing him pointing out the blind\'s window, saying, \"Jessie, look at all those turkeys! What a wonderful view!\" :thumbup:post-1204-139589320825_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320827_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320829_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320832_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320834_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589320836_thumb.jpg