ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MoHuntress

SASSYRED~2013-2014

A guy from northern Missouri that bought one of my Paracord Turkey Totes sent me this picture of the Gobbler that he was lucky enough to harvest on opening day. It\'s awesome to not only have happy customers, but to see them put my hand-crafted items to good use, as well :cheers:post-1204-139589317779_thumb.jpg

Well, we didn\'t get to turkey hunt this morning. But, as soon as Dad was done for the day at work, he wanted to go fishing :grd: So, we went down to the \"Bottom Forty Pond\" again. As usual, Dad out-fished me again :scream: But, while he was reeling in catfish, I was catching bass on stink bait. Explain that one to me :hmmm: Anyway, we had a lot fun, caught a stringer full of fish, and I even got some more, (yes, more), pictures of the Geese and Blue Teal :cool: I know, I know. You guys are probably tired of seeing my pictures. Well, TOO BAD :poke: At least for this post I only included the pics that I thought were the best ;) I don\'t know what happened to the pic of the geese and the ducks swimming together, though :puzzled:post-1204-139589317782_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317783_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317783_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317784_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317785_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317786_thumb.jpg

Well, the family all got together tonight for my uncle\'s and cousin\'s birthdays. My aunt had us all over for a bonfire, wiffle ball, BBQ, s\'mores, music, and dancing, (they all dance like no one\'s watching... weirdos :cooldance: ). And, everyone brought really tasty side dishes and desserts, too :thumbup: My other uncle, (whose house we were at), showed up with a flatbed trailer full of antique farm stuff that he had just bought at an auction, and that\'s always fun to get to look at :thumbup: Anyway, it\'s not often that we\'re all together at the same time, so it was great to get to visit with everyone, and get the low down on each other\'s turkey hunting progress! post-1204-139589317845_thumb.jpg

Well, I went turkey hunting today. I thought I heard some hens yelping around noon, but it was pretty windy, so I don\'t think we could hear each other very well. It started getting pretty close to 1p.m., and I wasn\'t having any luck in the woods, (maybe I should\'ve been in the blind instead :hmmm: ), so I decided to finally learn how to use the timer on my camera. I think my first self-portrait turned out pretty well, if I do say so myself ;)post-1204-139589317846_thumb.jpg

Dad and I did a little pond fishing this afternoon/evening. We were having a hard time getting them reeled in this time. They just kept spitting out the lure right when we got them in to the bank - and the catfish kept breaking dad\'s line :duh: But, I ended up catching two bass, and Dad caught a bass and eight eating size perch :thumbup: We did get chased by an opossum on the dark walk back to the car, but we still had a pretty great time :thumbup:Oh, by the way, the goose eggs hatched!post-1204-139589318002_thumb.jpgpost-1204-139589317999_thumb.jpgpost-1204-139589318003_thumb.jpgpost-1204-139589318002_thumb.jpg

Dad and I went fishing again tonight. Before we headed to the farm, I re-lined all of his reels in hopes of the catfish not breaking his line anymore! We saw a copperhead swimming by our stringer - like three feet from where we were sitting! We weren\'t real thrilled with that :sulkoff: And, Dad had to cut his line twice, because he caught a common snapping turtle, and then he later caught an alligator snapper. BUT, he finally caught the big catfish that he\'s been after for over a month now :cooldance: He was pretty ecstatic about that - to say the least :grd: Anyhow, they were just starting to really bite, but it was too dark to see anymore, and we already had more fish than we could carry, so we went ahead and packed it up. I ended up catching three bass, and one warhorse of a catfish, (he was pretty scared up). I say I caught it, but it was on Dad\'s bait pole, and since he was on the other side of the pond bass fishing, I reeled it in. I guess that counts for me, right ;) And, Dad caught five perch, and four big, fat momma cats! So... we went home with over 20 pounds of catfish, plus the bass and perch; which is always great! What\'s better, is that I carried the bass/perch stringer back to the car, and Dad got stuck carrying the heavy catfish stringer up the 1/2 mile long hill. That\'ll teach him to out-fish me :poke:post-1204-139589318052_thumb.jpgpost-1204-139589318053_thumb.jpg

My brother and his wife took their oldest three kids on vacation, so we got to keep their 2 and 3 year old for the week. Today, we decided to go visit the zoo, have lunch at Steak and Shake, and browse around at Bass Pro. We all had a blast! I think they\'re favorite part was getting to feed the giraffes at the zoo :cool: We even ran into a couple of black snakes crossing the sidewalk at the zoo :sulkoff:

post-1204-139589318108_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589318109_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589318109_thumb.jpg

post-1204-13958931811_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589318111_thumb.jpg

post-1204-139589318112_thumb.jpg

As most of you know, I thoroughly enjoy fishing. I also enjoy hand-crafting things out of bones. So... I figured that I\'d combine the two, and carve some fish hooks out of bones today; just like they did back in the day.I made these two using a cow\'s leg bone, lashed them to some bank line, and added some bone and buffalo horn beads so that the necklace could be adjustable.I think they turned out pretty darn well, considering it was the first time I tried my hand at this :smilebig:post-1204-139589318387_thumb.jpgI carved a little design on both sides of this one: post-1204-13958931839_thumb.jpg

The BIG swap meet at Jacob\'s Cave was this weekend. Mom and Dad, and one of our friends, headed up there Friday. It poured down rain, but they got some pretty cool bargains anyway. Mom waded through the mud to get me a HUGE box full of whitetail, elk, and mule deer antler sheds; deer skulls; and a sheep skull for next to nothing :cool: And, she got me SEVERAL hide stretchers for less than the cost of one, (everyone tried to buy those from her all the way back to the car). She also got me a bunch of duty gear, and some antiques for herself. And, Dad got some tanned hides, a really cool turkey mount, and some other taxidermy stuff. On Saturday, I headed up there hoping the rain would stay away. I found Mom, Dad, and our friend, and Dad showed me a few hand-made knives with hand-made rawhide sheaths that he had just bought for super cheap. He even gave me one that will be perfect for scraping hides :thumbup: Then, we stopped for some lunch, which was pretty darn good, (you should try some chicken fried bacon if you haven\'t already ;) ). Then we made another lap around the grounds to see if any new venders had showed up.Anyhow, I ended up getting a whole, huge bag full of scrap leather for $5, a couple of knives, more duty gear, some reloading equipment, an old-school minnow bucket, and an old cast iron cherry pitter. Mom, Dad, and I filled up Mom\'s car, and our buddy filled his truck up, so we left to go find some dinner and a live band, and then headed home.We all had a great time together, and left with some really cool stuff that we got for super cheap, and that makes me happy :Ppost-1204-139589318594_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318595_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318598_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318603_thumb.jpg She was helping me unpack :laughcry:post-1204-139589318604_thumb.jpg Mom\'s favorite purchase :thumbup:post-1204-139589318605_thumb.jpg

When we got to the pond this afternoon, Dad called my sister-in-law and told her to send the kids down with their poles. The oldest three were so excited to get to go fishing, that we could hear them running and giggling the whole way down through the woods :thumbup: Not long after they showed up, here came my youngest brother, (their dad), with my three year old nephew. Apparently, the three year old was pretty upset that his sister and brothers didn\'t bring him along, so he ran up to me as fast as he could, and said he wanted to fish next to me ;)After the kids finished off the sandwiches, chips, and cookies that I had brought for mine and Dad\'s lunch, they started catching fish left and right! My eight year old nephew asked how many I had caught so far, and my eleven year old niece told him that I hadn\'t had time to catch any yet, because they were keeping me so busy :roll:My niece and three year old nephew decided they wanted their daddy to take them back home early, but the eight and six year old boys wanted to stay with us until dark. It was a good thing I had a rain jacket and fleece pull-over in my backpack, because the boys that stayed late couldn\'t take the cold breeze rolling off the cool water. Anyway, it got dark, and they got too cold, so we decided to call it a night. Neither Dad nor I, (or my brother), caught anything, but it\'s hard to keep a line in the water when you\'re constantly having to unhook fish and re-bait hooks for such great, young fishermen/women :grd: But, my eleven year old niece ended up catching four, my eight year old nephew caught nine, my six year old nephew caught two, and my three year old nephew caught five - all bass and perch. Four up-and-coming outdoorsmen/women caught TWENTY fish, and two of them stuck it out until 10 p.m. - how awesome is that :cool:The only downfall was that when we took the boys home, we found out that my two year old niece was mad that she didn\'t get to join us. BUT, I\'ll make sure she gets to go next time ;)post-1204-139589318679_thumb.jpg

I got Dad a bunch of cool cat-fishing gear for Father\'s Day, so we went to try it out this afternoon. We didn\'t do so hot. It was starting to rain, so we thought it would\'ve been a good day to go. But, all Dad caught was an alligator snapper, and all I caught was one bass, (unless you also want to count the slug that found it\'s way onto my reel :P ). But, I did locate a new blackberry bush, so I can\'t complain too much ;)post-1204-13958931868_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318681_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318682_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318683_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318684_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318685_thumb.jpg

Since Dad\'s birthday is Sunday, and Mom\'s is on Monday, I expanded their fire circle as a little birthday gift to both of them. Now, it\'s big enough to do a little dutch oven cooking on, which they love :thumbup: And, I also took the corner post that my grandparents, (Mom\'s Mom and Dad), used at the family farm to lock the gate to at the end of the lane, (I wrote about that in a previous blog entry), set in the ground near the fire circle, and hung an old, galvanized water bucket on one of the nails that had been nailed in there long before I was even born. And, I also set it up to where those store-bought hot dog roasting sticks can be hung on the sides. Mom really like that aspect of their new backyard camp fire area :grd:Anyhow, they loved it so much that they wanted to use it Saturday since my brother\'s five kids were staying the night :cool:So Saturday night, while Mom was cooking burgers, chicken breasts, and brats on the BBQ, I went and cut a few saplings and made roasting sticks out of them, and then taught the kids how to start a camp fire with flint, steel, and char cloth. They ate that up :thumbup:So then, we used the new and improved fire ring to roast hotdogs. And after dinner, we all made s\'mores over the fire, and also had ice cream. Mom thought it would be fun to use the HUGE marshmallows for the s\'mores, and somehow, everyone ended up covered in sticky marshmallow stuff, which was pretty darn funny! When we got up on Sunday, the kids gave my folks their birthday cards that we made for them before bed, and then planted flowers with my mom, and we all played outside until their folks came to pick them up, (you can\'t keep them inside for nothing :thumbup: ). Anyway, we all had a great time, and look forward to cooking in the dutch ovens this summer :cooldance:

post-1204-139589318688_thumb.jpg

Last week, I got a brand new, heavy-duty, expandable frog gig at a neighbor\'s garage sale for $3, and that got me to thinking how someone always gets poked in rear-end every time we go froggin\'. So, this evening, I grabbed my old gig, and a piece of that scrap leather that I got at the swap meet, and made a little sheath for it. It\'s nothing fancy, and I\'ll probably put a snap closure on the one I make for the new gig, but I think it turned out pretty well for the first one I\'ve ever made ;)Now, then - June 30th, hurry up and get here :thumbup:post-1204-139589318689_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958931869_thumb.jpg

Independence Day!!!After Mom, Dad, my youngest brother and his family, and I enjoyed the parade, Mom, Dad, and I went to my aunt\'s for her big 4th of July party. One of my uncles had the bbq going with corn on the cob, tri-tips, deer meat, and ribs, and everyone brought delicious side dishes! While we were waiting on the bbq\'d stuff to get done, we noticed a big rain cloud to the Southwest of us. We figured it would just pass on by, but it didn\'t :scream: Just as soon as the meat was all done, we got a pretty good down pour for about 15 minutes. It was pretty stressful trying to get all of the food inside before it got all water-logged, but we somehow did it. As soon as we all finished eating, my cousin\'s boy got out the clay thrower, and Mom and went to show them boys how it\'s done ;) My cousin\'s boy shoots on his high school trap team, so I thought he was the only one we had to worry about. But then, my other cousin\'s friend, (that was getting made fun of for wearing girly flip-flops and a backwards hat), said that he\'d never shot before and would like to try it. Yea, apparently he lied... he has actually won state three times in a row :laughcry: After seeing him shoot, Mom and I decided it was time to teach them a lesson. Mom ended up shooting two clays with one shot several times in a row :grd: I didn\'t do that well, but I shot about 95% of mine, and even one that I threw by hand :thumbup:After we were all done shooting, we had some home-made ice cream, and some awesome peanut butter cake. Then, it was time for the fireworks. We all had such a great Independence Day together, and I\'m so glad that I\'ve been blessed with a family that loves to shoot together :gun:post-1204-139589318825_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318826_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318827_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318827_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318828_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318829_thumb.jpg

Tonight, my youngest brother and I took his four oldest kids froggin\'. It was kind of funny; the eleven, nine, and six year olds all wanted to use my gigs, because they said they\'d be cheating if they used their daddy\'s grabber :laughcry:Anyhow, we only saw one small frog at the first pond we went to. My eleven year old niece tried to catch it by hand, but missed, so we headed to the next pond. There, we made it to the North end of the pond, and my six year old nephew stopped me to get a thorn out of his hand. I\'m glad he did, because I just happened to look down at the waters edge, and noticed a small copperhead. We didn\'t want to take the kids any further that way in case the snake\'s momma was around, so I shined my light around the pond to see if there were any frogs. Since there weren\'t any, we headed to the third pond. It takes a little effort to get around that pond, and it was so cute to see the three year old holding the tree limbs back for me ;) But, there weren\'t any frogs there, either. We figured either someone already hit our ponds, or the frogs are just taking their time growing. I\'ve only heard one big frog when I fish there, but see plenty of babies :hmmm:Anyway, since we didn\'t get any frogs, we went back to their house and shot off some of their left-over fireworks. We even taped several roman candles together, and shot them off all at once - that made for a total of 300 shots from the candles :grd:Well, we didn\'t get to have frog legs, but we all had a blast anyway!Sorry, no pics this time - since there are no frogs to pose for me :poke:On an unrelated note, a little girl my oldest nephew goes to school with got bit by a copperhead tonight, (since I\'m writing this on a later date, I can tell you she\'s back home and much better now). My point is: copperheads seem to be abundant this year, so when you take your kiddos out, keep a close eye on them, and teach them how to keep an eye out for danger - not to be scared, just respectful of the wildlife\'s space ;)

Well, since my favorite hunting knife came in a cheap, over-sized, nylon sheath, and bow season is fast approaching and I don\'t need my knife bouncing around making a bunch of noise, I thought I should make a new, leather one for it. (I don\'t know why I didn\'t do this sooner :hmmm: ) Anyhow, I used one of the sheath kits I got a while back. I figured that would be perfect to practice sewing leather by hand :thumbup: I think it turned out pretty well, and it even fits like a glove! Now, onto bigger leather projects :cool:post-1204-139589318874_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318876_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589318877_thumb.jpg

I figured with bow season fast approaching, I needed to try to clear out the freezer some. Awhile back, my niece got me a jerky gun to make jerky out of ground burger meat with, and most of what\'s left in the freezer is deer burger. So tonight, I made 4 pounds of deer jerky; two pounds in the oven, and two pounds in the dehydrator. It was delicious :popc: There\'s nothing like gearing up for season by having a little jerky :cool:Since you all know what jerky looks like, I didn\'t take any pics of it, but here\'s a pic of my little frog buddy I found today that was trying to stay out of all the water that the rain drenched the yard with ;)post-1204-139589319295_thumb.jpg

It took me until 2a.m. to finish it, but here\'s another arm guard I made. The tooling took a while to do, but it turned out just how I wanted it to. Needless to say, I\'m pretty proud of how this one turned out :grd: And, I especially like the color :thumbup:post-1204-139589319301_thumb.jpg