Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MoHuntress

SASSYRED~2013-2014

86 posts in this topic

I decided to go do a little shed hunting today. As soon as I got to the farm, I spooked a TON of turkeys. They took off towards the bottom forty, so I glassed the field they took off from, and drove around the wood line in search of sheds. Didn\'t find a single one :thumbdown: So... I made my way down to the bottom, checking my game cam on the way. Apparently, I forgot to turn the cam on, so there were no new pics :duh: I got through the gate at the bottom, and noticed the turkeys in the corner of the field. I always take my camera with me, so I attempted to get a couple of pics of the thunder chickens. I was at least a couple hundred yards from them, so the pics turned out kind of blurry - even with the 30x zoom. As I was standing there, more turkeys started flying out of the trees from the wood line I was standing by; flying over to the other turkeys on the other side of the field. They started making that \"fighting purr\", and were hopping around, too. That was a pretty cool sight to see! I tried to get closer to get better pics of that, but I ended up spooking them, (there\'s very little cover there). BUT... that did give me the opportunity for a picture of them flying :cool: I was still too far away to get the clear pic I was after, but I think it turned out decent anyway. Then, they ended up going into the edge of the woods, and didn\'t seem to be bothered by me from there, so I started glassing for sheds in that field. It was kind of hard, since a good majority of the field was white with turkey scat, and covered with feathers, but I\'m certainly not going to complain about that!!! Anyhow, I checked Dad\'s game cam while I was down there, and the card is screwed up apparently, so no pics there either.I didn\'t find any sheds this time, and I about got the truck stuck on the way back up the hill, (thank God for 4-Low), but getting to mingle with the turkeys made the trip well worth it ;)I hope you like my blurry pictures :poke:post-1204-13958931567_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589315671_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589315672_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589315673_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589315674_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589315674_thumb.jpg

What a wonderful day! I got to have lunch with the family and catch up with my niece that\'s in college; I really wish we could do that more often! Then, Dad took me and Mom to the range to try out Mom\'s new gun, (after I got home the other day from shed hunting, Dad and I went to the local gun shop, and Dad bought a Smith and Wesson Air Weight 38spl. for Mom - knowing she would only want a gun if it were pretty, I hooked her up with some pink grips)! Anyhow, we ALL shot really well if I do say so; that is, when Mom actually gave us a turn ;) We took 100 rounds, and before Mom knew it, she had gone through 80 :grd: She really seemed to enjoy it! And, we got kind of tickled that she was shooting a pretty pink gun with pretty french tip nails :laughcry: Since that was the first time she had EVER shot a handgun, she rolled up her target, stuck it underneath our purses, and planned on taking it home to show the kids. Unfortunatley, some idiot came and got it out from under our purses and took it :scream: I\'m still not sure what that was all about :puzzled: But, that aside, my proud moment of the day was on the way home, and Mom asking, \"Jess, can you clean my gun? It\'s dirty now, and I don\'t want my gun to be all dirty like that\".Move over, Julie Golob. Bullseye Becky\'s in town :gun:post-1204-139589315738_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589315738_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589315739_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958931574_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958931574_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589315741_thumb.jpg

Today, Mom went out to my brother\'s to watch the youngest two while the rest of them went shoe shopping, and she called asking me to bring them some lunch. Dad and I thought we\'d might as well do some target shooting since we were going out there; so we loaded up, and headed that way. As soon as I walked in the door, I noticed through the window about 20 - 25 jakes/toms. There\'s nothing like having a three year old reaching up wanting you to take him to the fence line to get a closer view of the wildlife :thumbup: We stood there for a while, and the turkeys finally spotted us and ran off. My nephew said when he gets big he\'s going to hunt those turkeys and catch fish, and have his momma cook them for him ;)After that, Dad and I went next door to my other brother\'s to do some shooting. I went to set up the target and spooked a hen about 100 yards away. I also found a TON of turkey sign up and down the old logging road... tracks, feathers, scat, you name it! I could hear a ton of hens cackling in the bottom by the pond, as well :cool:Anyhow, we shot two rifles and a revolver, and then decided to go for a walk. We found a new rub, but no sheds this time. About that time, Mom called to say the kids wanted us to eat lunch with them, so we packed up and did just that :cheers:post-1204-139589316359_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958931636_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958931636_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316361_thumb.jpg

While Dad and I were on our walk yesterday, we noticed an old cedar tree that didn\'t have much life left in it. I decided I wanted to take a piece of of it to try my hand at making a kuksa or a bowl or something. All I had with me was a hatchet and a folding saw, and that proved difficult to do the job, so I intend on going back later with a buck saw. Anyhow, today I got to looking at my spoon/crooked knife, and I can\'t stand the fact that it didn\'t come with any kind of sheath. It\'s liable to tear a hole in a pack or poke me in my pocket, so I figured I\'d might as well just make a little pouch for it. So... I took a little piece of scrap leather and made a pouch. It\'s not for carrying it on my belt or anything; just something to protect the blade. It\'s nothing fancy, and it\'s nothing worth writing home about, but I think it turned out well enough to serve it\'s purpose :grd:post-1204-139589316364_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316364_thumb.jpg

As I mentioned awhile back, I bought a couple of Winchester Model 100s at an auction that were in desperate need of some TLC. (If you\'re interested in that story, you can find it here: http://www.shomeoutdoors.com/forums/viewthread.php?tid=18674 ). I still haven\'t bought new stocks for them, as they\'re kind of expensive. But, I thought that I should be doing something to them in the mean time. Since I had most of a re-bluing kit left over from a previous project, I figured I\'d go ahead and start re-bluing at least one of them. I\'ve been working on removing the old bluing from the gun made in 1962 off and on for several weeks now. Let me tell ya something, Winchester made the bluing on these guns so thick, I don\'t know how anyone could put a scratch in it! But, somehow the previous owner scuffed it up, and it was starting to get some light surface rust, so re-bluing was a must, (and, I\'ve already used over half of the bluing removal stuff from my kit - which should\'ve been enough for at least three guns :hmmm: ).Between removing the old, tough bluing, and spending at least two hours cleaning the gunk out of the barrel, I was starting to dread having to do this to the other one, (the one made in 1966). But today, I had it ready for the next step: re-bluing :cool: That\'s kind of gotten me excited about it again! It\'s taken almost the whole day to apply the bluing, rinse, re-apply, buff, repeat, and almost all of the bluing kit to get all of the parts to all be the same shade, but I\'ve got it done! Now, it just needs to cure over night :popc:As far as this one goes, I still need to contact Winchester about getting the firing pin recall taken care of, get a new stock, (I\'m thinking of going with a pepper laminate), and get a few cosmetic parts. It may take me a while to get both of them completely restored, but I think they\'re coming along nicely :thumbup:post-1204-139589316385_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316386_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316386_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316387_thumb.jpg

I thought I\'d show you all my call making/turkey hunting process... I made these two Wingbone Turkey Calls from a dead turkey I found in the field. I found her several months ago, but just got around to making the calls tonight.Step One - Locate Turkeys:post-1204-139589316522_thumb.jpgStep Two - Rob a Coyote\'s Leftovers:post-1204-139589316525_thumb.jpgStep Three - Use the Coyote\'s Leftovers to Make Two Calls:post-1204-139589316528_thumb.jpgStep Four - Coming this April ;)

Yesterday, my turkey mouth call kit finally came in the mail :thumbup: I couldn\'t wait to get started, so I made a few last night. The first one didn\'t turn out too well, (mouth call building is new to me). I think I had too much tension on the reeds. But, I\'ve been working on them all day today, (since we\'re snowed in and I can\'t think of anything better to do ;)), and I do believe I\'ve got it figured out. So far, I can build a double reed call voiced in a moderate rasp. This is really fun, and it\'s very fulfilling to be able to make my own calls, as well as calls for other folks to help them to be successful hunters. I think I\'ll stick with making these for a while, and then move on to making different varieties of sound/using different cuts in the latex/more reeds/etc. :grd:post-1204-139589316562_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316562_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316563_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316564_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316564_thumb.jpg

Here\'s a few of the pictures I took today of the wintery weather we got here. There\'s about 3 1/2\" of snow on the deck, and about twice that in the yard. Sure is beautiful out ;)post-1204-139589316566_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316567_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316567_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316568_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316569_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316569_thumb.jpg

Well, turkey season is fast approaching, so I\'ve been in the shop making custom strikers :thumbup: I made eighteen last night, and twelve tonight. They all have Purple Heart tips. As for the tops, I used corn cobs on some of them, and Slim Line Birch on the others. I just can\'t wait until April :woohoo:post-1204-139589316625_thumb.jpg

Well, I\'ve been busy this past week selling what I have left of my Wing Bone Turkey Calls, and I\'ve also been making Turkey Totes, as well as Over-The-Shoulder Gobbler Holders. Let me tell ya, April 15th can NOT get here soon enough!!! I for one, am MORE than ready for some turkey breast and fried morels :thumbup:Today, however, I thought I\'d take my mind off of turkey season by working on my other Winchester Model 100. For some reason, removing the bluing from this one has been 10x easier than the other one was! I still need to work on a few rough spots, but it\'s almost ready for the re-bluing process. I also removed the firing pins from both rifles, and they\'ll soon be on their way back to the Winchester factory to be replaced with two new ones. I can\'t wait to see how well these guns turn out :popc:post-1204-139589316734_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589316735_thumb.jpg

Easter afternoon, Dad and I decided to go morel hunting. We didn\'t figure we\'d find any yet, but why not spend the day in the woods anyway? It had rained hard that week, so we went to check the calf-lot pond to see if it was still bone-dry, or if the rain/wet-weather spring had helped it out any. And, it did! It was almost overflowing, and the bull frogs in it are already making a bunch of noise, too :thumbup: On the way to that pond, we stopped at one of the Indian mounds, and Dad tossed down some tobacco as an offering. He always does that - he says it\'s disrespectful not to ;)We found a lot of mullein and gooseberry bushes in that patch of woods, but no morels. So, we made our way down to the bottom forty. While we were down there, we grabbed one of Dad\'s game cams, and it had a TON of turkeys on it :cool: We were real excited about that, but then we came to a picture of an unknown person carrying a rifle into the woods :scream: We still haven\'t figured out who he is.Anyhow, we spent a couple of hours walking through those woods. We found a lot of deer sign, a few old turtle shells, several turkey feathers, and FOUR PILES of turkey scat under a roosting tree! Then, we stopped at our favorite Indian mound, which is in the corner of the wood line, and looks kind of like a chair. Dad sat there for a while, and we talked about what they might have used that for... maybe a spot to make arrow heads? My cousin has found a lot in that area. Then, as we we walked just outside of the wood line, I spotted a bobcat skeleton. While I was investigating that, and not really paying attention to anything else, Dad walked about two feet North of me, and found a shed. My dad\'s legally blind, and I usually have to point stuff out to him. I had been giving him a hard time, because out of all the turkey feathers we had found, he only found one or two of them. Then he goes and picks up a shed! He said I should have offered the Indian spirits some tobacco, too - and maybe they would have led me to one, LOL! After that, he wanted to go back in the woods to look for more sheds, and possibly the match to that one. We didn\'t find any more, and didn\'t find a single morel, but we had a really good day together! He gave me the shed he found so I could use it to make something, so I think I may go cut a couple of slices of cedar, and make some kind of shelf with that antler on it for him? post-1204-139589317193_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317191_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317192_thumb.jpg

A storm was blowing in, so Dad and I figured we\'d go do a little fishing at \"the big pond\". I was so cold, I tried hiding behind a single cedar tree to block the wind... it didn\'t work by the way :duh: Dad caught two pretty good sized bass, and then a thick layer of fog rolled across the pond and we didn\'t get any more bites after that. It felt like it dropped about 20 degrees when the fog came, and then everything just kind of shut down. I did get to see one of the 3\' long Coys that my uncle put there in the \'70\'s - or maybe an offspring of one? It was feeding close to the edge of the bank. That was pretty cool :smilebig:post-1204-139589317651_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317652_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317653_thumb.jpg

I so look forward to this weekend all year long! Mom and I went to Girl Scout Leader Weekend to camp out and to learn new things to pass on to the girls. Also, Dad is wanting to have a big wild game dinner at his business pretty soon to celebrate his 40th year in business, and figured since Mom and I would be gone all weekend, he and my uncle would go up to the Sac River to catch some white bass.Mom and I went to Wal-Mart late on Friday night to finish getting snacks, etc. to take with us. I stopped off at sporting goods to get mine and Dad\'s turkey tags while we were there, and noticed two big trash cans plumb full of Abu Garcia and Berkley rods. We had just stopped at our storage to get Dad one of my old poles, (he broke his on our last fishing trip when he was helping me load a corner post in the back of the truck). But when I saw these $55 rods on sale for $15, I got all sorts of excited, and Mom and I each bought one, (one for me, and one for dad - she felt responsible for his pole breaking since the post was for her).Anyway, Mom and I stopped for breakfast on Saturday morning, and then when we got to camp, her first class was rappelling/rock climbing, and mine was outdoor cooking. Mom was the first person to make it over half way on the rock wall, so she was excited about that all day :thumbup: At my class, my group was in charge of cooking the pinto bean chili, and the cabbage rolls. I don\'t even like cabbage, but let me tell ya, those were DELICIOUS!!! It\'s browned burger and sausage, and cooked, (diced), cabbage wrapped up in a dinner roll, and then cooked over an open fire. Man, those were good. ALL of the food was good! I know how much Mom likes cabbage, and lunch in the kitchen, (which she had paid for), isn\'t always that great, so I called her and told her to come crash our class and blow off lunch at the lodge. She was thankful for that - just not for having to walk the mile to get there ;)After that, we had free time, so we hung out with some of the ladies that we\'ve known for 24 years, but only get to see at this function. It was really good to catch up with them :thumbup: Then we got all unpacked, and headed to our next class.Our next class was put on by the MDC, and was about uses of plants and animals. The instructor brought antler buttons, a spoon made out of horn, sassafras, a real beaver fur hat from the 1800\'s, some furs, a tobacco plug... the list goes on. I think one of the coolest thing he brought was a block of tea. That was a first for me, and it was really cool to learn about!Next, we took a hay ride around camp. Having been going there for 24 years, Mom and I know that place like the back of our hands, but it was really nice to ride down to the river and reminisce about old times - finding \"friendship rocks\", enjoying the geese, enjoying it together... good times :thumbup: After that, we had dinner at the lodge and swapped our S.W.A.P.S. with the other leaders, and then headed down to do the Night Zip Line. Mom\'s done that time and time again, but that was a first for me. And, it was AWESOME :cool: We asked if we could each take another turn, but they said they didn\'t have enough time. There\'s always next time, I guess ;) AND, next time, I\'m going to make us some glow in the dark paracord bracelets to wear. Now, that would be too cool! We were at the front of the line for that, so we got done early. So... we headed to the old lodge, (it\'s a pavilion now), and waited for the night hike/nogga hunt. Pretty soon, the young leaders all came up to us asking where the s\'mores were. We told them that a lady from the kitchen had brought down all the stuff to make them, and that the fire place was right there. They just looked at us with the strangest look. I was a little disappointed with that... none of the young leaders knew how to start a fire :duh: So, Mom and the other ladies that have been doing this forever decided that since I am one of the very few to ever earn a Golden Match, (when I was little, I only needed one match to start a fire :poke: ), that I was in charge of that. I guess that was a good thing, because not only did I get a s\'more and marshmallows to eat, but a couple of the young leaders actually wanted to watch me build the fire, and learn about dryer lint and chapstick, (yea, I cheated).Next was the night hike/nogga hunt. This is where we take new leaders through the woods with no flashlights so they can learn how to listen to nature. What they don\'t know is that several people are in the woods making the sounds of \"noggas\", which is a bird that Girl Scouts traditionally hunt. It\'s kind of the same thing as snipe hunting, but you don\'t leave them there :P Then we wound up at a camp fire and told stories about \"Jake\'s House\".Then, we headed back to our tent to get some rest. There was about a 4\' x 2\' hole in the side of the tent, so it was pretty breezy, and we figured we\'d wake up to critters in our beds, but we actually slept really well!On Sunday, we packed up, had some brunch in the lodge, and headed home. We got on our road, and saw a hen turkey land in a neighbor\'s tree. That was kind of weird, because we\'re in kind of a residential area. We see a lot of deer in our yard, but that was the first turkey I\'ve seen here :hmmm:Anyway, we got home, and Dad said he had a blast fishing. He said my uncle almost fell in the river and he had to save his life... yea, they\'re weirdos like that ;) He said they caught a lot of white bass, but we definitely need some more! But, I\'ll tell you about getting more in my next blog. I feel like I\'m kind of running off at the mouth here ;)Oh, by the way, there are A LOT more pictures on my Facebook page if you\'re interested. I just didn\'t want to have to sit here and re-size ALL of them to get them on here :Ppost-1204-139589317696_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317697_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317698_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317699_thumb.jpg post-1204-1395893177_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317701_thumb.jpg

After I woke up from a much needed nap when we got home from camp, Dad asked me if I\'d take him to the farm to re-locate his turkey blind. He also thought it would be a good idea to take our fishing gear, since we\'d be by the bottom forty pond anyway ;)When we got close to the pond, we scared a goose off of the bank. Upon closer inspection, there was a goose nest where she flew off from, and it had four eggs in it! Now, that\'s cool! I had never seen a goose nest before that.Anyway, we moved his blind from the the pond bank to the corner of the field, just to the West of the pond, (that\'s where we got several pics of turkeys on the game cam). Then, we started fishing. The mother goose and her \"husband\" flew off and eventually came back, watching us from the field most of the time that we were there, but never really acted like we were bothering them. Dad caught a few fish, and then my cousin showed up on his four-wheeler and and just so happened to have a lure that he\'s been having a lot of luck with with him, and was nice enough to give it to me :cool: I caught one bass that night, and that was the lure that I caught her with!Dad caught several catfish on some worms we had forgot about in the truck bed, (they were pretty gross), but since we forgot the net, the bigger ones all broke the line as soon as he got them reeled in close to the bank :thumbdown: But, it was still a really good night! Dad caught a lot of fish, I caught one :P , we got to see the goose nest, the geese, and four deer, and we roosted some turkeys just in front of the blind :cool: We fished until well after dark, but finally decided we had better head home so that we would be well rested for opening day of turkey season ;)post-1204-13958931771_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317711_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317712_thumb.jpgTrying to get the catfish on the stringer without getting horned :roll:post-1204-139589317712_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317713_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317714_thumb.jpg

Opening day of Spring Turkey Season!!! Well, the geese were still by their nest, which is always cool to see first thing in the morning ;) The turkeys didn\'t start talking until almost 9a.m., but they answered Dad and I almost every time we called after that! Pretty soon, we had five, count \'em, five Toms come out of the woods to the East of us, and two of them were all fanned out :cool: They were at least a good 200 yards away, and we couldn\'t get them to come any closer :cry: But, they did stick around long enough for me to take some pictures ;) Anyhow, we ended up seeing 21 turkeys that day: 5 Toms, a few Jakes, and the rest were hens. We also saw a pretty big-bodied deer come out of the woods just ahead of the blind, and several Blue Teal :thumbup:post-1204-139589317765_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317765_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317766_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317767_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317767_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317768_thumb.jpg

I try to be out in the woods/do something outdoorsy at least once a week, but my goodness... I\'m about to wear myself out :PBut anyway, since we didn\'t get any turkeys, and 1p.m.had rolled around, we went and bought some worms, and came back to do some more fishing :thumbup: We remembered the net this time, but didn\'t get to use it on any catfish. But, we did catch a pretty good mess of bass and perch, so it was a pretty good day in my book :thumbup:post-1204-13958931777_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317771_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317772_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317773_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317774_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589317774_thumb.jpg