Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Falcon Girl

Bridget's 2012-2013 Wildlife/Hunting Journal!

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys! I thought I\'d create a log thread regarding everything wildlife, outdoorsy, and hunting-related! Here are a few topics I may write upon in later posts:Falconry: Right now, I\'m at college and live in the dorms, so I cannot have a bird. However, I hunted rabbits and squirrels with Red-Tailed Hawks when I was in high school, and during the summers of college, I\'ve flown small falcons at small avian prey. There is a decent chance I may fly a Kestrel or other small falcon or hawk this summer at house sparrows/European starlings, and if so, it\'ll be elaborated here in this thread. I\'ve also landed an internship with the World Bird Sanctuary for the summer of 2013, so I\'ll be living in the St. Louis area during that time. Can\'t wait!Fishing: I go fishing sporadically (usually pond, creek and Mississippi River), and usually with my family or friends. If I go on a fishing trip, it\'ll be noted here! :)Small Game Hunting: As many have seen in my other thread, I have an interest in hunting small game (namely squirrels, but perhaps rabbit and other animals that qualify as \"small game\") with a bow. I hope I\'m successful with this method! I also may borrow my grandmother\'s 22 and use that towards small game. I have purchased my small game permit and cannot wait to hit the woods over Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks!Large Game Hunting: Mainly turkeys and whitetailed deer, I\'m considering purchasing my Archery tags to pursue these two species. Right now I want to focus on small game, but I may consider hunting larger game this year. We\'ll see! Various other activities: I may even post about recipes, gardening, foraging (nuts, berries, mushrooms, etc.), canning, and random hikes/walks in the woods, shed-hunting, other forms of hunting I participate in or observe, and whatnot. I\'m really hoping to keep up this journal (especially over Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks when I\'m home!), and hope to include everything I can that is related to the outdoors. I hope you all are doing well! :)Bridget

Have a nice Holiday. My daughter goes to MO S&T and she\'ll be staying over the Thanksgiving Holiday too (she needs a break). I just bought her a Taurus .380 to get her into shooting and the wife a .38 revolver. Hopefully get their conceal carry in the Spring.

Thank you!Well, today was the day I finally got to hit the woods again! November 22nd, 2012 -- Thankgiving!After getting a few things ready for the evening gathering of family for the holiday, Dad and I decided we should try to shoot the old .22 that my grandmother let me borrow when she heard I wanted to squirrel-hunt this year-- originally my grandfather\'s, and going on 100 years or so in, as far as we know. I felt honored, but I worried that the age and condition of the gun may have hindered its ability. Sadly, we couldn\'t get the gun to shoot, and we had a difficult time getting the bullet out-- the inside was all corroded, it looked like. After removing the bullet, we put the gun back in the house and brought out the bows.After a few practice shots, we both headed for the woods behind the house we have permission to hunt. With our identification, permits, and hunter\'s ed cards, we made our way out to the grounds -- dad on one end, and I on the other, facing different directions for two very different purposes. We were spread far apart from one another, dad facing north and in search for whitetailed deer, and I facing south in seach of squirrels. But of course, as we had figured, the high temperatures and wind speed were -not- in our favor-- collectively, we only saw one deer (a spooked doe), and I didn\'t even hear a single squirrel bark, let alone see one! After only a mere hour in the woods, we both headed back home, ready for the cooler weather to be here. I\'m hoping to try again tomorrow around dusk-- and alone, this time! Regardless of the circumstances given, I much enjoyed being out in the woods again. It truly reminds me of what I love and yearn to conserve and restore for the future generations to enjoy-- our wilderness!Bridget

post-911-139589314811_thumb.jpg

post-911-139589314813_thumb.jpg

post-911-139589314814_thumb.jpg

post-911-139589314816_thumb.jpg

November 24th, 2012 Squirrel HuntNow, I knew Dad was hellbent on getting the .22 cleaned and shooting again. When I woke up this morning, he wore a smile on his face because he had done just that-- after a lot of cleaning and elbow grease, the gun shoots! After a few practice shots myself (much surprised at how well it shot!) I quickly hit the woods with gun and small game permit in tow, 20 degree weather chilling my body as I headed out. It was interesting knowing that my grandfather used to hunt with this gun in the 20\'s and 30\'s, in the same area I was hunting with it now. I waited and watched, and watched and waited. It was a still, clear day, so I was expected to be greeted with tons of squirrel barks and scampers. However, all I saw for the hour or so I was out was 3 squirrels that were too far out of range to shoot. The only thing I can think about is the temperature coming into play, or that their local population was severely effected by the reduced amount of nuts that fell, and the drought. Or perhaps it was just a bad-luck situation. Oh well, it was still awesome to get out in those woods! The next time I hunt, I\'ll be back home for Christmas break. I\'ll update then! :)Bridget