Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Schuh2

Schuh2 2012-2013

8 posts in this topic

Well, guess I better kick off this years journal, for my sake if not everyone elses. Not much hunting up to last weekend, just a lot of hoping and prepping for my first spring turkey hunting season. Never been in spring, just in fall, and never harvested one (except for my bow on a REALLY dumb bird) so we shall see how that goes.Actually went down to Arkansas March 12-14 bowhunting wild hogs. This place was 100+ acres high fence, and bowhunting only. Some may have a problem with high fence, but at least it was no firearms allowed, and 100 acres is quite a bit when you are chasing hogs through rocky bluffs and out of swampy river bottoms.That is what I told myself, plus I really wanted to get a hog with my bow. Saw quite a few pigs, and we had a system set up in a natural funnel.We got 25 or so hogs in a small stretch of timber, and two buddies pushed them towards myself and another hunter. There was a 200lb+ boar in the bunch, and he was leading the pack our way, with two trails to take, one to me, and the other toward my buddy. Luckily, they took the path to me, and when at about 30 yards, the lead boar stops behind a tree and peeks his head out to stare right at me. He didn\'t want to come out, but att 25 yards, had another boar step out from behind a tree. One shot, right in the boiler maker, and he dropped 10 yards later. About 125-150 lbs, not too bad for my first shot at a hog, IMHO. post-2544-139589305231_thumb.jpg

That is AWESOME! Congrats!!! :cheers:Oh, and thanks for starting up a journal. I loooove reading about everyones adventures. :thumbup:

Well, life takes it turns, and one of these turns kept me from getting out this spring for Turkey or shrooms. :( This would have been my first year Spring hunting birds, but life had other plans. Another day, perhaps. From what I hear out of the mouths of fellow hunters, this season was off anyway. Congrats to those that were able to get out and get them some.:clap:But, on the bright side, in 25 days, I am leaving for Florida for two weeks for the annual family deep sea fishing trip. Two uncles with deep sea boats about 30 minutes from my parents house down there makes for a lot of fun. Hoping to get some serious photos and stories on here. No real updates, other than the anticipation is causing near cardiac symptoms here. Drooling for some ocean action.On another note, one of my friends did make it out to some land that I had set up last year for bow season, and went to where I had set out a mineral block. He said the block is gone, but the hole that the deer are making there is monstrous. Deer tracks galore is what he said. Makes me want to get the game camera back out there to see if any bucks hit this spot yet (might see some velvet). Until later!

September 23, 2012: Made it out to a good friend\'s land, unfortuanely, he was not home. Took the 1/2 mile hike to the \"upper\" land, where I have a lot of film of does and a couple non-legal bucks. Spooked a big doe going in, but set my stand there anyway, as the spike did not snort. Up in the tree at 2pm, I started keeping mental tabs of the game I saw for my MDC journal. At about 5, saw that same spike working his way up the hill toward me. Since he was not a shooter, I just sat and watched him for about 30 minutes. Looking down the hill, I see a big doe working the same line he came on, and that spike passed by my stand at about 15 yards. I slowly stand, and watch this doe work toward me, come into 25 yards, and stop behind thick brush. Ready to draw, I waited for another 30 minutes and watched her take about the only safe route away from me, and meet the spike in a thick draw. I sat down, knowing that I had about another 30 minutes to stay and wait, but I also knew that I had to go to work the next day, and I didn\'t want to rush the shot for convenience. Walked out of the woods deerless, but happy to get out into the wild.My quote of the week (that I had to tell myself): \"The only thing more satisfying than making a good shot is refusing to take an unethical one.\"

September 23, 2012:My quote of the week (that I had to tell myself): \"The only thing more satisfying than making a good shot is refusing to take an unethical one.\"
No truer words spoken.... Sounds like a great time:cheers: