ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Danceswithdeer

My 2012 Adventures

Tried to keep myself busy and out of the woods cause I kinda figgered it\'d be another day before it was worth lookin again, but that daggum muddinman had to post pics of his shrooms and I got to droolin so we took a little walk. I found this empty bag right off the bat, pretty sure it was from my trespasser, was right next to the tree he filmed his bowhunts out of. Up here, if they can ingest it it\'s bait, mineral/salt etc... is a big no-no fines go up exponentially. Feeder during huntin season on this place is definitely on the list now so if they do attempt to hunt it\'s gonna get a lot deeper into the pocket than just trespassing.post-43-139589306041_thumb.jpgSo I\'m walkin along watchin for killer shrooms, ten yds away I find these clippers, I think I\'ll call him and ask if\'n he wants em back cuz they ain\'t worth a hoot :128:post-43-139589306043_thumb.jpgBout five min later I hear HELP :roll:post-43-139589306046_thumb.jpgShe\'d done got surrounded by em so I went to popn heads off, by the time I was done 50 of em were all laid out ready for last rites a salt bath and cremation in butter :thumbup:post-43-139589306048_thumb.jpgWe\'d just got in the first draw when she found em so I\'m thinkin tmmrw we\'ll be knee deep in em. :smilebig:

well only found @25 or so greys, no cool asg pics cause I was across the crick when my buddy and his gf found em. I did find another shed, matches one of my GF\'s first two, so we\'re up to 15 total off this place and 3 matched sets.post-43-139589306051_thumb.jpgWas buried in a clump of grass, just happened to walk the left way and look in the right spot :roll:

I\'m seeing some really nice knife handles. :D:poke::roll:
We might could arrange that :D I had a box half full of stuff for ya at one time but I don\'t think it ever made it yer way :hmmm: think the pony express failed somewhere along the line :puzzled: but we can try again :thumbup:

Best find came on the way back to the car :smilebig:post-43-139589306132_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589306135_thumb.jpgNuther right side off one of the bigger bucks, still have one I would like to find at least a single off of, this antler had been walked past so many times since the 3rd week of Jan, I just walked a different route this time :roll:post-43-139589306138_thumb.jpgTaters are growin! :cool:

:poke::roll:[/rquote'>We might could arrange that :D I had a box half full of stuff for ya at one time but I don\'t think it ever made it yer way :hmmm: think the pony express failed somewhere along the line :puzzled: but we can try again :thumbup:
Wanted to try and import a couple awhile back.... until I saw what it would cost me. :duh::sulkoff:

Few new pics, first is of all the sheds we have found this spring off the place before most of em get cut up :D I\'d say we are done for this year.post-43-139589306551_thumb.jpgOne of my favorite sittin places with a E wind, deer central in front of me.post-43-139589306554_thumb.jpgCool lookin native grass flowering I found along the crick, gotta look it uppost-43-139589306556_thumb.jpgBolete\'s have continued to flushpost-43-139589306559_thumb.jpg

What was 30lbs of bolete\'s now dehydratedpost-43-139589306561_thumb.jpgWhat was two backpack fulls now fits in a 1qt container with room to sparepost-43-139589306564_thumb.jpgMy last haul of morels was @75 tuesday, kept 45 of the best for supper tonight w the fampost-43-139589306566_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589306568_thumb.jpgWe were needin rain bad for the shrooms to really pop, it was just getn good and the rain missed us, now this cold has prolly shut it down for the year. Still was the best year I\'ve had in a long while and the boletes will taste mighty good this summer.

Started finding shrooms again. :cool: Some were dried up but ended up with @50, with the much needed rain the last 2 days there should be plenty more to come. Was in Keosauqua yesterday guess they are finding them by the garbage bag fulls in the SP down there on the DesMoines. One fella had I\'d say 1/3 of a ford ranger bed full. NEVER seen that many shrooms before, ever....

Got in a short walk yesterday. Few straggler shrooms here and there, these woulda been bigger but the grass was matted over the top of them :duh:post-43-139589306727_thumb.jpgBlackberry winter in April??? These are in a upland area and startin to bloom like crazy :freak: raspberries haven\'t even startedpost-43-139589306729_thumb.jpgFunky lookin bug that crawled up the log while I was takin a sitdownpost-43-139589306731_thumb.jpgNext week is the week my young hunter chose for chasin turkey birds, hopefully I\'ll have some success pics. :gun:

LOL well my havin fun time has dwindled a little during the week but I now don\'t hafta work weekends unless I want to. We are doin a burn next week on the property if the weather is right, really need to get out and pull some cards from cams. :duh:Week 3 of IA\'s turkey season starts tomorrow runs thru May 1st, hafta choose the season you hunt and we chose this one for my young hunter, wk4 is open to everyone. Sure hope the birds are gobblin in the morn like they are now! :D

Have been doin some turk scouting last couple evenings after work, found a few straggler shrooms, nice ones too! :thumbup:post-43-139589307158_thumb.jpgpost-43-13958930716_thumb.jpgSeein a lot of these in the neighborhood with all the field work, this is a seedcorn field across the road just startin to come up, a lot of ac\'s immediately around us are planted for seed corn and beans. post-43-139589307163_thumb.jpgPic from the jobsite at lunch yesterday, hustled and got this last pad formed and then the rain moved in bout 3, wasn\'t takin a chance, finish up Mon and on to the next...post-43-139589307165_thumb.jpg45 overcast and winds howlin at 30mph this morn, bout noon it should clear off and we\'ll try the gooblers, different strategy havin all day to hunt that\'s for sure. Don\'t feel the pressure of half day huntin and I kinda think it may be a tad easier to pattern birds for a afternoon hunt.

feelin yucky today so thought I\'d add a few pics. No turkey huntin pics, only got out for a couple hrs after work one day last week. Had intended to go yesterday afternoon but after eatin at Jimadores in Otown yesterday I started feeling sick and was up all night :thumbdown: was a first for me with their food and I hope it was just a one time thing. Same family that has the one in Macon and the food has always been excellent. Did get the rest of my chores done before that,,, of course :duh: :DStarted paperin and mulchin the gardenpost-43-139589308173_thumb.jpgForeground is heirloom Zuchinis with a few radishes here and there, background is 15\' of cukes on the R and okra on the Lpost-43-139589308176_thumb.jpgMaters post-43-139589308179_thumb.jpgForeground middle is more Zuchinis, beans on both sides, middle center is eggplant background is peppers of various colors and one mater on the end :Dpost-43-139589308181_thumb.jpgGreen area is more space for later beans, I\'ll tarp it soon to kill the weeds and plant a couple more rows in a couple weeks. Had to put up a decent fence to keep the critters out, wind is bad :freak: up here in the flatground so three sides will have morning glories and the fourth was ornamental gourds planted in groups. Hopefully that\'ll cut down on the wind.

And we have all these old iris\'s everywhere and I have been slowly moving them where I want them and giving away a bunch. Mom says the yellow and purple one is called Wabash, and we argued over whether the little blue ones were Japanese (my choice) or Dutch iris. :roll:post-43-139589308184_thumb.jpghad a huge ball of the blue ones in a roadside ditch so I dug it up and used a few to go around the E deck stepspost-43-139589308187_thumb.jpgHave been buying perrenials slowly and finally got some mulched in so it\'s startin to look a little better on the S sidepost-43-139589308189_thumb.jpgFound a Spirea I had seen before to fill in this ugly spotpost-43-139589308192_thumb.jpgAnd last but not least the taters in the tires :cool:post-43-139589308195_thumb.jpg

Everything looks great Rusty! :cheers:
thanks ;) Bout a month behind you guys, since I papered and mulched the ground warmed up a lot and the plants have shot up. Freeze in late April we had really hurt a lot of things. I lost my first planting of beans they rotted but it was worth a try just a few pennies for the seed. Soil structure isn\'t the best up here, not a whole lot of organic matter so it packs when it rains hard and develops a thick crust. Several farmers had a hard time after the last downpour get\'n their beans to emerge, some had to replant. hopefully the wood chips and other mulch I add this year will help increase the organic matter for the future. Got a line on sheep manure for next year too, used chicken poop from the old coop outback when I tore it down, it\'ll do but I prefer sheep poo over anything else.

Went to pick a few raspberries and get some more gooseberries before they were done a couple weekends ago. First three berrie patches we hit had fawns in them. Holdin @20 doe on bout half the ground that isn\'t farmed in a 3sqmile area makes for them to be stacked up like cordwood till they can go to the cropfields. Once we hit the 4th I decided it was time to back out as we had all we needed. If ya look you can see the fawn standing in the grass, centered in this pic. GF wanted to get closer but I knew it was best we move on. post-43-139589309267_thumb.jpgFew chestnuts I believe :puzzled: along a fenceline, deer have already bout cleaned em up and they just started setting on nuts.post-43-13958930927_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589309272_thumb.jpgCrazy cloud that came thru last week, radar showed it was a major downpour, not a drop fell :duh:post-43-139589309275_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589309277_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589309279_thumb.jpg

Gardens Kickin it, beans and cukes are bloomin, maters are loaded and there\'s a couple zuchini bout ready! :cool:post-43-139589309281_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589309283_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589309291_thumb.jpgTook off the plastic and got the last patch ready for beans to be planted, still gotta get the cattle panel up for the cukes. Lost one of my staked Big Beef maters to the wind :cry:

Few new pics, crop duster that\'s been in the area for awhile, enjoy watchin him dip and dive as he\'s sprayin, sometimes goin under the powerlines too :freak:post-43-139589309965_thumb.jpgHad a cam set up for mink, never got a pic after tryin for several mths so I gave up finally pulled it a few weeks back. Yesterday I was in the backyard and this one showed up wantin his pic took. :roll:post-43-139589309967_thumb.jpgpost-43-13958930997_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589309972_thumb.jpg