ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Danceswithdeer

My 2012 Adventures

post-43-1395893048_thumb.jpgNew Mineral lick, bout a week old, nice tree close by for a cam, hopefully we\'ll have some stud bucks pose for us :smilebig:post-43-139589304805_thumb.jpgJust one of the many gametrails crisscrossing the place. I\'m in awe at the amount of deer sign, HUGE deer sign all over. It\'s crazy I tell ya, almost reminds me of a deer pen in a way. :laughcry:post-43-139589304803_thumb.jpg This stuff reminds me of what we called buckbrush in MO, but it\'s on steroids, gets 8\' tall :freak: gotta do some research, if it\'s an invasive there\'s a LOT of work ahead,,,, it\'s all over :duh:post-43-139589304808_thumb.jpg post-43-13958930481_thumb.jpg post-43-139589304812_thumb.jpgFew shots of the upper paintball field, plenty of mowing and repair to do before we can play war :gun:

Went up the road to a state park called Lake Darling over the weekend. Guess it\'s Iowa\'s BIG DIG, been several years of work restoring this lake. Puttin in structure, docks, beaches etc... Walking the place you could see the damage farming has done to the watershed. New sediment basins are full and running over with silt already. Deer sign was everywhere, actually looked like a deer pen in places. Nice little cabins you can rent. If they ever get it done it\'ll be a nice getaway retreat and I\'m sure the fishing will be good just looking at the effort they are putting into it. post-43-139589304868_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589304814_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589304817_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589304863_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589304866_thumb.jpg

Well I think I created a monster :D went out for a few hrs this morn to wander aimlessly through the woods searching for shed antlers and just enjoy the outdoors. Was a great morning to be out exploring.post-43-139589304946_thumb.jpgOne of the many monster rubs on the place, specially in these pines, this tree is bigger than my fat thigh :128:post-43-139589304949_thumb.jpgI really like this part of the property, and the deer seem to as well.post-43-139589304951_thumb.jpgkinda reminds me of Gawga and huntin the piney woods with woodgoatpost-43-139589304954_thumb.jpgWe walked several areas like this, lots of deerbeds, poop and it\'s a S facing hillside. I get to the top and ambout to drop over into the next draw and I hear a voice sayin I found onepost-43-139589304956_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589304959_thumb.jpgVery first shed :cooldance: after three trips and prolly 6hrs of lookin total. So I go on about my business in MY area, apparently now we\'re claimin territory :laughcry:

Comin home last night the deer were just about to head across the road to the cornfield. Musta been 25 or soo in the draw, can only make out 3 in the pic. New mineral lick is just down this draw a couple hundred yds, can\'t wait till my cams come in :cool:post-43-139589305048_thumb.jpg

The shed queen did it again yesterday :duh:post-43-139589305226_thumb.jpgThis one is the epitome of how lookin for sheds goes, I know I walked within 15\' of this shed a week ago, and I also know me, vince and the gooser walked through the same area, twice, and I am pretty certain this antler has been on the ground for at least a month and a half. It\'s all about lookin in the right spot at the right time, particularly this year with the warm winter not bunching them up on food.post-43-139589305229_thumb.jpgThat\'s #4 for her off this place, total we\'ve pulled 13 sheds off it, only two matched sets, so there\'s 9 more out there to find :roll:

Man, you two are rackin\' \'em up! I cant find one anywhere!
There\'s still a couple bucks I really wanna find the antlers from, but they didn\'t spend all their time on this rental place, and there was a group of guys from Wisconsin that hit every farm around me the weekend I went to desmoines to the deer show, they were caught up with by the law, but it was after they were here and I have no clue what they may have found. Just really glad we found what we have so far, and if\'n I had my way I\'d set a match to the whole place :smilebig: cause I know there\'s antlers layin in the 400ac of tallgrass behind the house. Wish we woulda had a better day lookin when vince was up with the gooser but this place has so many bones layin around, mortality is high, I\'ve so far found 6 deer that were fresh, within the last 6-8 mths and can\'t begin to count the number of old ones I\'m findin laid up in the thick stuff. And I\'d have twice the turkeys to play with if the coyotes weren\'t so thick. Really surprised to hear as many rooster pheasants as I am this week considerin.So here\'s the pile to date from the rental place less 1 a friend found, kinda strong on R sides :hmmm:post-43-139589305244_thumb.jpgAnd my 2 matched sets, quite the extreme diff in size :laughcry:post-43-139589305247_thumb.jpg67-1/8 and 72-7/8 were the measurements officially at desmoines on the big set 8 and 14 were my calculations on the lil ones :D

Added another this afternoon, one of those other side of the tree things :laughcry: but a week ago when I was in there the grass was still standin a little more :hmmm: this is in the mesquite thicket, where I set up a mineral lick, and the dead limbs behind the tree, were ones I moved to make it, antler was 8\' away and I didn\'t see it :128:post-43-139589305302_thumb.jpgKeep findin all these dinks a chandelier is gonna be out, may be able to manage a readin lamp tho :sulkoff:Checked for a match, not one in my collection that comes close so it\'s still got a match out there :roll: I\'d tried to keep track of the different bucks I saw goin into the place of a morning, there were between 20-25 that I watched regularly through my spotter leave the fields and head into our patch of scrub, right now we have at least one antler from 12 of those bucks

I\'m bout to give up on this notion there\'ll be any shrooms up here for a few weeks, cooler spell comin. :hmmm: Maybe this warm up got em goin good and we\'ll find em by the truckfull when they do come :Dfew pics of the different areas we have looked over and over and over.... :freak: upland and bottomgroundpost-43-139589305547_thumb.jpgpost-43-13958930555_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589305552_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589305554_thumb.jpg

Good stuff DWD, won\'t be long and you\'ll be able to build yourself a deer , Whats up with all the right sides falling in specific spots, maybe ya need to go over to the other side of the hill to find the left halves.:smilebig:

:D well I looked on the L side of the hill and they aren\'t there. :duh: Been a trespassing problem on this place for some time. While we were out last nite I caught em redhanded. Quite the deal to be honest. I\'ll be having a talk with my CO tonight at hunter ed class and I\'ll post more later. Guy I caught was with a outfitter, had paid $750 to shedhunt on the property :laughcry:

Well apparently my neighbor 3 houses down has quite the reputation. I had started a Fishin expedition awhile back on IA whitetails cause I kinda figured the problem my landowner was havin may just visit there or even be a member. Well lo and behold when I was searchin the net for his name a old thread popped up on their forum so I resurrected it. Link I got several PM\'s from different folks he\'s ran over in the past, sounds like he\'s a spoiled brat that needs to be spanked :roll: the CO\'s, we have two in this county now, prolly because of him :laughcry: had nothing good to say about him and will help me all they can, but they did say the $65 ticket for trespassing won\'t stop many folks that shell out the kinda dough his clients do, and until the legislature changes some laws there\'s really no deterrent. i told em I could think of one, the way we deal with unwanted critters down in MO, SSS :D Search the guys name, you\'ll find a link to a huntin video, 2 of the kills on the lead in, were in my backyard, the whole hunt is in a funnel I know real well, and actually pictured in some of my atl pics. I can take you to the exact spot a clients deer dropped and they had a photo shoot. it goes on and on but ya get my point :nonono:

Today was written test and field day at hunter ed. In IA every county has a conservation board, they are in charge of aquisition, maintenance, improvements etc... of the public ground in that county among other things like the hunter ed program, kinda like the MDC has staff for their public lands except it\'s controlled locally and the employess are employed by the county conservation board. Our instructor was Shawn Morrissey who works for the Jefferson County Conservation Board, very likeable guy and did a very good job instructing the 27 students. There were 24 school age youth, 7 of whom were female and 3 older females taking the test. As usual the kids were eager to learn, polite and paid very close attention, except at breaks :roll: We had two night sessions earlier in the week from 6-9 and today was from 8am to 12. the Southeast Iowa Trap and Skeet Club donates the use of their building, ranges, traps, birds, shells etc.. towards the endeavor. I did join so I have a place I can shoot, which is hard to come by up here. This morning Shawn went over the most important aspects he\'d discussed this week for a couple hrs then broke them down into three groups. One on the skeet range shooting a low bird from the house, another on the rifle range using a 22 single shot at 20yds and the last group went over various scenarios using unloaded weapons, that you might be faced with while hunting in a group. ie.. when walking three abreast driving a pheasant field, who shoots where??? and that sort of stuff. I was kinda impressed to see the stressing of this type stuff in class and wondered to myself why it wasn\'t part of every states hunter ed. The overall experience was awesome just as it has been every time I\'ve done this before, always good to see the MONSTER smiles from holes in a paper plate or the dust flyin from that first clay pigeon.Here\'s a few pics as promised, starting with the quietest part of the day, written test time :thumbup:post-43-139589305623_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589305625_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589305628_thumb.jpgpost-43-13958930563_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589305633_thumb.jpgpost-43-139589305635_thumb.jpgNot one kid acted up on the range and everyone passed the written test so they all got their certificates. :gun: