Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Passthru

Purchased Mohuntresses Sportster

54 posts in this topic

Met up with Mohuntresss today to take her Harley sportster off her hands. it started up and ran, but had a miss. When i got home i got to checking and it was running on a dead rear cylinder, it would fire once in a while. I did not waste any time, i ripped the breather off, took the carb off and ran it to the bench and tore it down, cleaned it all out, put it back together, slapped it back on the bike, fired it up and what i had was a Harley talking to me in classic Harley language. Potato, Potato, Potato, p, p, p, Potato. http://youtu.be/BmyBViRqTdc

Told Dena id post updates as i change the bike, when i get done it will be so totally different. so you can expect this thread to grow long as i chronicle progress. Ill be tearing it plumb down to a skeleton very soon.

Very nice work Passthru....and :thumbup: to getting off Dena\'s hands....she didn\'t need it anywho...lol. I had looked that bike over a couple of times when I was at Beaverman\'s house. I am looking forward to watching as this bike gets a makeover!!!:thumbup::cheers:

Man, that thing sounds AWESOME Jeff! I\'m really looking forward to watching the progress of this thread! ....it was so good to see you! ;)

It was great to see you too Dena!! I know this has nothing to do with hunting or fishing, but its the off season and these forum could use a little entertainment, everyone has hobbies outside of hunting, this is just one of my many lately.Tore into some more mods tonight since I probably wont have much time during the week. Took back fender off, i had noticed the left blinker did not work. Keep in mind, Denas son bought this bike and rode it, so none of this work is his, it goes back farther to other owners. The wires to the blinkers and brake lights are run under the fender and the tire had tore them off. Also All the wiring was a cobble job. I have never in my life seen such poor and shoddy wiring on anything (and i have seen a lot) just getting the black tape and duct tape off took half an hour of cutting..there was bare live wires everywhere, it is a wonder this bike did not burn to the ground years ago.first picture is back tire with wires laid out. post-2-139589303769_thumb.jpg

front fender is GONE, ill be yanking both wheels off next, new tubes and tires and a thorough cleaning to make the wheels look new agian. Also, i noticed the steering was grabbing when tured all the way to the left, and it almost hits the tank, so i got to looking for the problem, as it would hang up, this was a wreck at slow spped waiting to happen. The steering stop is damaged, someone ran a screw in from the underside to try and fix it, that wont work. ill get another tripple tree off ebay and correct this.

post-2-139589303771_thumb.jpg

post-2-139589303772_thumb.jpg

But, before i get real deep, it might be of benifit if you see the bike as it was started, and where im wanting to take it.First picture is the beginning, its nice but the little Chitlins posing on it are the best of this picture.Second picture is of a bike of the same year and model, this bike has been turned into a bobber style, and it is very close to what im going to be trying to achieve with a few differences. post-2-139589303773_thumb.jpg post-2-139589303774_thumb.jpg

Im so glad you bought that bike Jeff.. Now I can quit debating over and over whether or not to buy it myself.. nice job.. cant wait to see it progress.

OK, a lot has happened since my last post. And i have decided that this bike will be very lucky to see the road by end of summer, probably next summer is a better roll out date. Anyhow, I did not like the Air cleaner the bike had on it, Dont get me wrong, its a $250-$300 air cleaner, its just not what i wanted on the bike. What i wanted was small, round, and sticks out and says Home made. so i looked around all over the web for ideas and came across a A/C mod that i really thought was great and started with getting it done. Autozone i went for this, $14.00 single barrel cleaner, we have all seen them.post-2-139589303811_thumb.jpg Next to make it fit, mounting plate for the carb. this is what holds the carburator on the bike. post-2-139589303812_thumb.jpg

First off the bottom plate of the AC has to be flat, but it comes with a collar for clamping onto a cars carb, it has to be cut off.post-2-139589303813_thumb.jpgpost-2-139589303813_thumb.jpgthen holes have to be made to match the carb bracket as you can see.post-2-139589303814_thumb.jpg

On the front and rear cylinder of a Harley are Crankcase ventilation ports, the two bolts that hold the carb bracket on the bike are hollow and that allows the pressure to escape, (you can see those bolts in the 1st picture of the above post). These had rubber caps and hoses hooked to them but the oil had deteriorated the rubber and it was a mess, as well the hoses were run in a way that was not a clean look. I have new bolts coming to me in the mail, hope they are here Sat afternoon but wont hold my breath..they will be a lot better looking. but they have to be filtered, so i purchased the two filters below, those will be hanging down on each side of the Air filter when im done, it will look really nice and keep the oil off me and dirt out of the motor. ill get a picture here when it is done so you can see it fully finished.post-2-139589303822_thumb.jpg

Also, I noticed the ignition switch was bolted in the wrong place, and the choke was just hanging, so i decided to put them back where they was and couldnt. The reason is the tank is not the tank this bike came with, someone changed it and the Petcock for the fuel line is right in the way, so im going to have to pick up another tank and put the fuel line on the right side where the carb is, and as its supposed to be. So i took the tank off, besides, the wiring is all hanging down and looking bad, i want them tucked up under the tank and out of sight. i have also removed the battery because i just didnt need a short with gas in the building. Also decided to take the belt drive guards off, that will help make the bike look less bulky, when doing that i noticed something REALLY BAD. I could not turn the tire, so i got to looking. someone put a new tire on the back, and when they did they put the brake shoes in wrong. they had both shoes on one side, and the caliper was agianst the other side unprotected..so there was ZERO back brakes and it chewed everything up. Dena, its a good thing you never rode this bike, you may not be with us today, and your boy is lucky you got him off of it. pictures tell all.Notice you see both brake pads?post-2-139589303825_thumb.jpgWhat you did not see was the disc behind them.post-2-139589303827_thumb.jpg

and a shot of what was really going on back there, lives was hanging in the balance, i have never hit the pavement doing 70-80 miles an hour, but i have went down at around 50 mph, i can tell you first hand, its no fun, the only benefit is a rapid loss of weight as the meat is ground off. This could have locked up solid, and when the back tire stops turning, it tends to put you down right quick. All the ground off area is where the rear disc pad was supposed to be. it will have to have a new disc, new pads and new caliper now. post-2-139589303829_thumb.jpg

OK, so i talked about the tank and stuff, but these are the only pictures i have, this is how the bike sits as i type this. im about 1/2 way tore down. in the first picture, notice the ignition with the key in it? its back where its supposed to be and the choke is not bolted right below it where it is supposed to be, right on that motor mount between the cylinder jugs.post-2-139589303832_thumb.jpgpost-2-139589303834_thumb.jpg:thumbup:

Oh, did i mention i am having a blast with this thing, im am already scheming, trading, bartering and trying to do it with pennies rather than hundred dollar bills, besides, i wont have no money to put in it for at least a month.:laughcry: im starting to understand why the old bikers felt so fondly of there bikes, they had blood wrapped up in them. Thankfully i have a nice bike sitting there to ride while i fix this one.