Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MoHuntress

If You'd Like To Comment On One Of The Competitors Blogs...

46 posts in this topic

I need to comment on USERNAMES recent blog on making jerky as a matter of safety. The recipe he listed makes no mention of a nitrite curing agent. Always use a curing agent in any jerky or sausage that is slow cooked, smoked or dehydrated since the low cooking, smoking or drying temperatures do not insure the \"bad\" bacteria that can cause botulism are killed. The low moisture content of dry jerky can cause the \"bad\" bacterias to die without a curing agent but since some people may like a less dry and more chewy type jerky, I decided to comment. Nothing personal Jonathan, u are a good guy and I\'m glad you got in the competition.

I had never thought of that. I forgot to add, we keep ours in the fridge as well. Don\'t worry about the criticism, I\'ve just used the recipe that my grandma gave me, never knew it had a flaw.

You can use that exact recipe and just add sodium nitrite for a curing agent to prevent any bad bacteria. It only takes a very small amount (1oz per 25 lbs of meat) it can be bought from most butcher shops or online from sausage making suppliers and is commonly called Instacure no. 1. All jerky making kits I have ever bought have a small pkt included.

To Kevincollon, It must be nice to get to go ice fishing! I bought my first ever ice fishing pole this fall and was excited to get to try it out..... now it\'s 60 degrees feb first!

Cool pics Sassy... Pretty sure those are \"hoot owls\", barred owls is the proper term. They are the ones that \"laugh\" and get the gobblers all fired up. They are known for their \"who cooks for you, who cooks for ya aaaallllllllll\" calls that we turkey hunters often imitate to make a turkey gobble.

MoHuntress, the Herman jakes event is the largest in the nation and has been for several years. The NWTF doesn\'t even consider them for the Top Jakes Event award anymore. I believe they won like 5 years in a row. It was a great event all the way around. They have so many people there they have to park off site and use a school bus to shuttle people in.

MoHuntress, the Herman jakes event is the largest in the nation and has been for several years. The NWTF doesn\'t even consider them for the Top Jakes Event award anymore. I believe they won like 5 years in a row. It was a great event all the way around. They have so many people there they have to park off site and use a school bus to shuttle people in.
That is unreal! Let me know when the next one is, Clay! :thumbup:

Will do. I believe they try to have it the same weekend every year, but I\'ll post it on here next year.
Thank you kind sir! ;)