ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MoHuntress

ONESHOT 1 (2012-2013)

Always Use a Fresh Load You would think after forty years I would learn.I\'m using a White Inline Shotgun,it shoots a very tight Pattern,only thing is it uses #11 Caps which most the time works well. Seems I\'ve gotten in the Habit leaving Loads in a Long Time when I was younger I started with a fresh Load every morning. Well this Gun has been loaded since first of the month.Remember looking at the Ramrod other day seeing the moisture on it thinking I should freshen the Load but didn\'t. Well this morning I went to a Cornfield in an Hourglass Shape,Birds Roost on Ridge to the East,Creek on the West.I set up in the small of the field.Daylight I start calling,had a Hen answer.She is behind me,so I move on other side of the tree.Call again,she answers,coming kind of behind and to my Left.I turn see her,get a Bead,pull the Trigger,Pop! No BOOM! She goes back a ways,I put another Cap on,she is gone.Figured I might as well see if it would fire which it did. Went on up on the ridge,there was Birds up there just couldn\'t get them to come in. I know from now on start with a Fresh Load. oneshot

Reality CheckGot drawed for Caney Mountain Hunt again this year.It will probably be my last time because of Health reasons :cry: My wife has been telling me for years I can\'t do certain things.In my mind I\'m still that 17 year old Man at Pendleton Marine Base,still working at the Feed Mill throwing 100# Bags of Feed all day,and 28 years old running 10 miles a day,strong in Tae Kwon Do and trowing Bread Dough all day and even at 39 out working Young Men shoveling Grain at the Seed Plant.But this trip was a slap in the face of reality,telling me once again why I\'m on disability,why my wife won\'t let me go on Black Powder Renaissance.Everything at Caney Mountain is either Up Hill or Down Hill,my wife laughs at calling these Mountains but they are still very rough.Second day I was taking Pain Medication,which I hate because it knocks me out but I couldn\'t sleep because of pain.When this really hit Home I couldn\'t finish the last day,so we packed up and was coming home,stopped at Lebanon to go to the Restroom and get something to drink.My wife got out of the Pickup went in,I got out was hanging on the Wood Rack,crying in pain.My wife comes out,\"there you are,I was looking for you,Are you going in?\".I can\'t move.\"you want to set down?\'.No I\'m afraid if I set down I can\'t get up,I\'ll just stand here let it pass.Which it finally did.But get back to the Hunt,I\'ve been going since the \'80 but never have taken my wife.Was getting ready to go.She says ,\"You never take me camping anymore!\".\"You want to go Pack your Gear\".Had to go to Bass Pro get her a Sleeping Cot.Went to Wal Mart got a Florescent Latern for the Tent,because it was going to rain we got a Cheap Gazebo and Tarps for a Cook Tent.Was going to leave Thursday because of the rain decided to follow the first wave and leave Friday.Left out Friday morning caught up with the rain in Gainesville.It was pouring,by the time we got to Caney Mountain it had quit.post-1600-13958931423_thumb.jpgGot Camp set up before going up the Mountain scouting.Went up found two places,one was the place I\'ve always liked in the past the other was at the far end in a Holler where I figured they would run.Our Camppost-1600-139589314231_thumb.jpgpost-1600-139589314231_thumb.jpgMore to come

First morning wake up at 3:30 AM to rain,eat Breakfast.4:15 get in Line wait drink Coffee wait for Gate to open at 5:30.5:30 they open the Gate,have 3 Pickups in front of me,so there is a Good chance I can get into my favorite place.There is two ways you can go at this Gate,one is 4WD Trail which is the way I go.One Pickup in front of me turns up it and wouldn\'t you know it he goes to the spot I like so I go on down.Get down there,followed my GPS in,it is so foggy and raining can\'t see anything.Get down there.Had a Umbrella that you put up over you which worked real well.Set there until 10AM,it was just too foggy,couldn\'t see over 10 yards.This picture don\'t give it Justice on how foggy it was.post-1600-139589314231_thumb.jpgWent in and ate,rested,put Fresh Load in the Rifle.Went up on a Mountain that I could almost drive up,started on a trail,came across a Blood Trail,started following it,it was pretty spares,going straight up into heavy Brush,just wasn\'t quiting.I finally gave up on it.Went around on the other side of the mountain,Deer had been eating on Acorns.Set there until dark but thought it would be a better place to set in the mornings.Here is couple pictures from up there.post-1600-139589314232_thumb.jpgpost-1600-139589314232_thumb.jpgpost-1600-139589314233_thumb.jpgAnd more coming

Second night I get up it\'s a little windy,go back to Bed,wake up a bit later to pouring rain,well the Tent still seems to be dry.Get up 3:30AM,rain has quit but very muddy.Here is a picture of me thinking about the day to comepost-1600-139589314233_thumb.jpg4:30 tell my wife there is nobody in line,\"I\'m going to go ahead and get there first to assure me getting in my favorite spot on the mountain\".I\'m first in line,5:30 they open the Gate,I drive up to the spot I like.Getting my Gear together,one Pickup stops but goes on,another pulls in by me.I asked them, \"Where they was going?\" \"we have two Stands set up at the corners of this field and a friend of ours has a Stand on down the holler,he will be in later.I told them,\"Well I\'m setting up on down the holler,watching a draw,if your friend comes in on me we will have a problem just because you set up a Stand because this is Public Land it doesn\'t reserve the spot for you\".I hate being this way,just the way it is.I had a Guy run me out of the same area years ago off a Good Blood Trail of a nice Buck,never did find the Buck because of him.But I went on down set until 11AM,didn\'t see anything.Yelp more coming

That evening I decided to set in an area I had never been but my wife said they had been seeing Deer there.I found a Ridge that comes to a Point,fresh Grass at the end,thought I would set where I could see all the Grass.I\'m setting there Praying,\" Lord let me see a Deer\".Well I need to learn to be more specific when talking with our Heavenly Father because no sooner I asked this there was a Doe and two Fawns 10 foot from me,took one look and was gone.\"Ok Father let me get a shot at a Deer\".Got to wondering why they came up there,realized I was setting in a Saddle,so I backed off some.Later I seen a Doe at the end of the Point but didn\'t feel comfortable with the shot.Here is me setting and the area.post-1600-139589314234_thumb.jpgpost-1600-139589314235_thumb.jpgHere is looking across the Holler.post-1600-139589314236_thumb.jpgMore coming

Final day not many left I get up late at 4AM.Go up on the Ridge,caught a glimpse of a Buck chasing a Doe couldn\'t get a shot,sat until 10:30.Went back down told my wife,\"I didn\'t think I could go anymore\".So we broke camp.Out of over 200 hunters there was about 50 Deer killed,biggest Buck I seen was 8 Point 4 1/2 year old,157 pounds.As far as Gear I liked the Umbrella you can hook to the Tree,did well keeping rain off me.The Gazebo did well but we used Heavy Metal Tent Stakes with Rachet Straps to hold it down.The Florescent Latern did well to see in the Tent but wasn\'t bright enough for seeing finer stuff.The Over sized Cot from Bass Pro the Cross Bars on the end was a bit of trouble getting on,it was a little rocky but not sure how to fix this,if your short Legged can be a bit trouble getting out of but held up well.The Garmin e Trex Venture HC GPS continues to work very well for me.Loved the fact I did bring my wife and had a Great Time in spite of the weather and Health issues.And what greets me when I get homepost-1600-139589314236_thumb.jpgFigures!oneshot

Well That\'s the Way it goes Cut out a Hidy Hole along a Bean Field yesterday evening about 5:30 had a Forky Buck walk out.Had my Crossbow up in Hopes a Doe would follow.Set there for 20 minutes with him 5 steps from me.No Does. Well at least I know my Camo is working,he looked right at me several times. oneshot

Got call to Worship in Church in the morning,wanted something to deal with Hunting. Thought I would share Here we are in middle of October a beautiful time of year not too Hot or Cold a time when we can bring in what the Lord provides without fear of it spoiling before we have it taken care of to feed us before the Earth takes a rest for a few months. Many of us are Hunters which brought me to this. Geneses 10:8-98 Cush was the father of Nimrod,who grew to be a mighty warrior on the earth. 9 He was a mighty hunter before the Lord;that is why it is said,\"Like Nimrod,a mighty hunter before the Lord.\" Nimrod did not start off to be a ruler of men. He was a hunter. And so hunting is what he did. He did what he enjoyed doing and became proficient at it. What are your talents or gifts from God? Many Christians feel they can’t do anything important for God because they can’t preach or teach or sing or play a musical instrument. Nimrod did not try to be something that he was not. He was a hunter, he enjoyed hunting, and so that’s what he did. What can you do? Do it for God. Later on, God would use Nimrod’s persistence for other work, but he started off a hunter. Anyone who is currently doing what we would call a great ministry for Christ started off by doing something small and insignificant. They were faithful at it and became proficient at it, and God was able to take them to the next step of their faith journey. Whatever God has for you to do, do with all of your ability. Maybe Nimrod was as me with the Lord always in his his mind dealing the weather,life and the taking of it to provide nourishment and the beauty of the Forest.I can\'t help but look at the Bronze and Golds,the Fog and Frosty mornings thinking of how grand my Home in Heaven will be once I leave here.oneshot

My Little Granddaughter is sure Growing wanting to be like Grandpa every day.4 Year old Princes or River Bunny like she wants to be called because their cuter than River Rats.post-1600-139589314371_thumb.jpgPicking Hickory Nuts like Grandpapost-1600-139589314371_thumb.jpgAlright Squirrel Getter like Grandpas but Pinkpost-1600-139589314372_thumb.jpgHad a Good time with her today,hope to spend many future days in the woods with her.oneshot

She Didn\'t Like My Girl Yesterday I seen some Turkeys going to roost along a field.I thought great the field is about 100 yards wide. I have never used a Decoy during Fall Season for safety reasons.But decided to use one to try to bring them in closer for a shot.No calling just the Decoy. Go out this morning,cut a hole out in the brush,set my Decoy out about 15 yards on down.7:15 they fly down,Boss Hen sees the Decoy,all the other Birds were feeding.Not this Hen she had her Head up looking at this Decoy.I kept saying settle down and feed! Nope she got tired of it,they were all leaving,about 60 yards.I thought ok bust them up and call them back,shoot they take off but didn\'t scatter. My view post-1600-139589314434_thumb.jpgMy worthless Ladypost-1600-139589314434_thumb.jpgOh well learn something New every day.Hitting a Dry Spell need to go Squirrel Hunting or Fishing. oneshot

Thoughts on CVA WolfOk took my New CVA Wolf out and shot it.Ok first off it shoots Great.Clean up is Fast unless you are Cleaning the Firing Pin.I fired several times and plenty of crud around the Firing Pin so I pulled it and cleaned it.Using just a Screwdriver to pull it I see this as a problem down the road if there is any problem getting it out.I did put Breach Plug Greese on it when I put it back.Plus not sure on how often to clean Firing Pin,if it has to be cleaned every time it kind of defeats the ease of cleaning just because of the Breach Plug.Now while I had it apart getting it back together where the Barrel would Lock down was a Little Tricky,still don\'t know what I did but finally got it to Lock.Now get back to the Breach Plug,not sure what Metal is is made of but I tend to think it\'s softer than Breach Plugs in the past,the reason for the Longer one but it also will have more give leading to easier removal by Hand.Ram Rod???? Why change from the Old.The one on this Rifle if you have to get ahold of it to push a stuborn Sabot in it\'s too slick plus I\'m not sure I trust its strength.All in All like I say it shoots Great but I feel CVA has cut corners,if you put this Rifle up against my Old Cheap Staghorn the Staghorn will Win as far as the way it\'s made,only thing it is Open Breach.oneshot

Not a Big One But The Story is Good Went over on Government Land this morning,setting watching a Corn Field.Seems the way for Scouting is driving the roads because come day light that\'s all you seen was slow driving up and down the road. Well I\'m setting there watching a Doe feeding my way.Here comes a Silver Pickup,real slow.She goes into deep brush.I set another hour and was just to sore to set anymore. Get back to my Pickup.Driving Home,come to a field I sat at the evening before.I see a Little Deer,didn\'t slow the Deer continues to feed.I had it in my mind to go on Home,had already turned on the road to the Highway.Got to thinking,I\'ve been hunting hard,Youth Season is tomorrow and only a week until Firearms Season.I wonder since it is keeping an eye on the road I can slip up on it and get a shot. I drive back down park on another road.Get my Gear and Crossbow.Start slipping up through the brush,Dang I didn\'t remember so much Multiflora Rose in here,I don\'t know if this is going to work or not. Get up where I can see the Deer,another 50 yards and I will take a shot.All of a sudden he goes in the brush,here comes that Silver Pickup again,wait for it to go by and I Doe Bleat.Wait and wait,then I see the Deer go back in the field.Ok we\'re still in business.Then I hear Doors slamming and Talking.The Deer comes towards me.I have my Crossbow up,Come on!Still moving my way through the brush,Oh come out in the clear where I can shoot.Ok space between two trees in the Sweet Spot,I shoot definitely hit. Found plenty of Blood my Arrow,20 yards my Deer,little Button Buck,not Big but Great Eating and that\'s what I\'m wanting Good Eating Meat. Where I was setting the evening before post-1600-139589314501_thumb.jpgLooking from about where I was looking at the Deer,picture doesn\'t do it justice as far as brush post-1600-139589314502_thumb.jpgSorry I didn\'t get a Pic in the Field but I done had him Field dressed and realized I didn\'t. post-1600-139589314502_thumb.jpgoneshot

This is the day that the Lord has made I will rejoice and be glad in it.I decided to go to Barclay CA on the Niangua and go fishing today.Because it\'s Youth Firearms Season I wore my Hunters Orange.Nice sunrisepost-1600-13958931453_thumb.jpgWent to a Riffle I likepost-1600-139589314531_thumb.jpgpost-1600-139589314531_thumb.jpgCaught 3 Nice Rainbowspost-1600-139589314532_thumb.jpgI\'ve never seen the river so Low and Clear should be Good for Gigging Suckers.oneshot

Barclay CA Is 389 acres of mix of Forest and Bottom Land along the Niangua River in Dallas County downstream from Bennett Spring.They Stock Trout in the river both Rainbows and Browns.There is plenty Goggle Eye,Smallmouth Bass and Redhorse Suckers.Hunting there is plenty Deer,Turkeys,Squirrels and Rabbits.The Canoe Put Inpost-1600-139589314532_thumb.jpgThe Boat Ramppost-1600-139589314533_thumb.jpgI have seen Jet Drive Boats in here but I\'m thinking with Low as it is even that would be tricky.Here is looking across the Bottomspost-1600-139589314533_thumb.jpgoneshot

Hey I\'m Getting Little Ones Out of The Way Got another Button Buck,got all the meat we need so my Deer Season is done.Because I\'ve been hurting so I\'ve been going out in the evening.Today I went in the River Bottoms. Used my .45Cal. with Maxi Balls but shot him in the Head so still not sure how the Bullets do. Seen this Eagle nest on private property,it\'s the second one I\'ve ever seen.Not real good pic.post-1600-139589314792_thumb.jpgHere is the woods I was hunting.Cedars just the other side of this. post-1600-139589314793_thumb.jpgLike I say I shot him in the Head not pretty. post-1600-139589314793_thumb.jpgoneshot

Oneshot 1, you must be retired because your everyday life is one continuous adventure that only few people can sustain. I envy the ample time you have on your hands to do whatever pleases you. When I grow up I want to be just like you to take journeys and live a life full of adventure and discoveries. Please continue with adventure updates. What an awsome life.

I Was Taken BackYears ago when I was in Colorado I read a series of books written by Peter Jenkins called Walk Across America,gave me the urge to Travel which I did for a year.Every time I came to a place he mentioned in his Books I felt as I had been there before.I Love going to New Places and Love going to places I had been bringing back so many memories.Which is just what happen this evening.I decided to go Deer and or Hog Hunting where I had a year ago.Remembering I told my wife if I got anything we would have to take the Boat to get it out which I didn\'t know I could do last year.I get over there go in on a Game Trail other than the way I usually go in.First thing I noticed there hadn\'t been any ATV\'s in there this year like last,only good thing is they leave an open trail getting into the brush.Obvious the Hogs are in there with all the rooting.Get back in to the ragged old dead Cedar I sat next to a year ago.Setting there getting Cold as the last time I sat here,watched hundreds of Geese fly over to a Corn Field by the river.post-1600-139589315323_thumb.jpgSat there didn\'t see anything other than couple Squirrels.Decided to leave early considering getting out of there.Looked up see the same Moon as I seen a year ago.post-1600-139589315323_thumb.jpgWalk on out the regular way.Came to The Hill! Then it all came to me with a RUSH.My youngest trying to pull the Biggest Hog I\'ve ever killed up the hill.He looks at me saying,\"Dad did you think this through?\".\"Nope not really\".It was just like yesterday,came to me with so much pleasure,spending 7 hours with my Boys,5 foot at a time with Block and Tackle and Come Along,Hard work,Cold our Pants Freezing.No one was complaining,resting every chance we could secure everything,talking about the Moon,Lights in the distance,could see Giggers on the river.2AM we get to the house.We was tired but you couldn\'t have paid for a better time with my Sons,so much Love and Joy for their Dad.We make so many memories getting out Hunting ,Fishing doing the things we enjoy.I just hope I can take others with me on this Blog and glean the enjoyment I have and Love to share.oneshot

Came Up With Another You Might Be A Redneck If... You might be a Redneck if your going down a Road and you shut your Radio off in case you Break something. There is a Road going over to Government Land I don\'t hesitate to Lock in 4WD.I have decided many times not to go down this road and my wife has told me not worth going down this road. Well today got out late from Bible Study so was running late and wanted to get in the woods. Told my wife I was going to this one area.On the way I get to this road and think we haven\'t had rain in awhile why not? Start down it New Washes,then see where some have dug into the gravel spinning.Get on down,Dang a Mud Hole! Wonder how deep it is?I knew if I started across No Turning Back.Made it through,another Mud Hole,I wonder if this is where the dips are?Nope made it through.Come to the next Mud Hole,this is where the Dips are,throw Tools and all kinds of stuff around in the Cab,but I stayed on the road.Come to the Boulders,last time there was only One,now there is two,well the one in the middle of the road is about as high as Half Way up on the Door,the other one about Axle High,can\'t just go straight around,had to weave around them.Rest of the way down just wash outs nothing exciting. Funny Guys that Farm down there find it easier to drive around 10 miles and drive across the river.To me much better to stay clear of this road.Got to take my Running Board off now. oneshot