Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otto

Otto\'s Hunting Journal

107 posts in this topic

This is what my harness looks like....that\'s not me in the picture....that\'s a model. The company that makes them went out of business and now they are fetching 2X their original price on ebay.

post-14-13958931274_thumb.jpg

I\'d have myself so tangled up in all of that. Is that comfortable? Do you have to stand on those little pegs the whole time you\'re in the tree?

Well....I keep my feet on the pegs, but I usually just hang against the tree with my knees against the tree. The cool thing is you can walk right around the tree....shoot 360 degrees....keep the tree between you and the deer. And you are always tied to the tree so barring a broken strap or rope, it is very safe. I am very comfortable in it now that I have become accustomed to just hanging from a rope.

Haven't updated in a while.  It's time to add a few pics and get caught up. I'll also show a few projects.....more new hobbies. No deer for me last year.  Dad got one again with his crossbow.  I passed up several small bucks again and had a couple mishaps with arrow deflections.  I hunted at my cousin's place with my rifle and could have shot a small eight but I let him grow.  I saw 5 small bucks and not a single doe to put in the freezer. One of the guys in our group got a nice buck.

Mike's Buck

00550_Mikes_2013_Bobs_zpsc033e53d.jpg

Dad's Doe

00545_Oct26_2013_zps11fb9560.jpg

Got a trail pic of a drop tine buck.  Never saw him while hunting.....hope he's still there,

00543_9-15-2013_zpsb5830d1b.jpg

The crew at Bob's Camp

00548_2013_Bobs_zpsdf3b90e6.jpg

I purchased a RRA LAR-8 Rifle.  It is a .308 and I have been slowly setting it up as funds permitted.  After I got it the way I wanted, I decided I wanted to paint it....so I did.  I ordered some duracoat and airbrushed my gun. I do some signwork on the side so I created my own version of Kryptec camo and made a vinyl stencil.  The gun took me about 20 hours to complete. It turned out very nice.

IMG_5599_Wallpaper_zps9ad9df10.jpg

IMG_5604_Wallpaper_zps2bf27385.jpg

I practiced on my nitro piston pellet gun first with some Krylon camo spray paint.  This was a test to see if I liked the pattern and I felt it was a bit dark but I like them both.

IMG_0649_zps210693a3.jpg

IMG_0641_zps11fad4f4.jpg

I have also gotten back into fly tying.  Years ago I fiddled around with it.  My wife gott me a vise for my birthday and off I went.  Here are a few items I have made.

Bluegill bugs

IMG_0091_zpscd10a7ad.jpg

Crawfish

IMG_0082_zps38522676.jpg

Mousey

IMG_0076_zpsa1c20940.jpg

Assorted minnow patterns

IMG_0086_zps53767ad9.jpg