Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otto

Otto\'s Hunting Journal

107 posts in this topic

Any of you guys know of some good public land to bowhunt in SE Mo? Will be visiting my sons at SEMO in mid. Nov. and want to get in some quality bowhunting. Thanks guys.

Last Saturday, Dad and I hit the woods again. Saw 1 doe and she busted me about 10 yards from my tree. I could only get about 15 feet up the tree I wanted to be in and she came off the ridge from above me and spotted me when she was nearly level with me. I probably could have got her as she was traveling back up the ridge because she knew something was wrong, but she wasn\'t completely spooked. She was small so I didn\'t risk the 30 odd yard shot.. That evening, I could hear deer walking behind me in the brush several times....just could not see them. Dad had the same problem....we are hunting a thicket and if they are in there instead of skirting, it\'s almost impossible to get a shot. Sunday morning I heard deer coming behind me and turned slowly. I had relocated to another tree and was perched about 23 feet. When I got turned around, I spotted a nice doe about 30 yards out coming right to me. I waited until she went behind a small clump of trees and reached for my bow.....didn\'t know her buddy was standing about 8 yards to my left and she DID see me grab my bow! I was just educating the heck out of those deer. That was at 8:10 and the way they blew and carried on I figured the morning hunt was a bust. Well, at 9:20 I hear footsteps behind me and look around the tree to my right. A small doe steps out right by my tree. Then she turns and trots back into the thicket. I see two of them move though and cross the creek They turn left and head right up the draw to my right. At 25 yards, I smacked the biggest one. Double lung. She ran straight up a mountainous ridge for 80 yards and tipped over.

e_Doe_Archery_10-26-08_1.jpg

I have been sick since Tuesday night. Low grade fever and constant cough for four days. Missed hunting this weekend because of it. I\'m feeling a little better today, but every muscle in my body hurts from coughing up buckets of phlegm. My wife got sick of it and tried to get me to the doctor.....no openings until Monday. I think I\'m still going to the appointment....sure don\'t want to miss next weekend.Otto

I did well early on taking a couple does but the rest of my season has been slow. I have put in more hours in a tree this year than I ever have. I knew eventually that it would pay off. Well.....it hasn\'t yet. I have seen many deer and passed several spikes, fours and sixes, but I have yet to spot a mature buck from a stand this year. I have many unfilled tags.Northern Mo was bad. One of the guys in my club decided to bow hunt my area ALL week before gun season. He wounded a large 160-170 10 pointer. He and a couple other guys stomped all over the property on the Thursday before opening weekend and never found the deer. I saw one small eight and one doe in 3 days and the weather was terrible. My daughter and my Dad didn\'t see a single deer.I saw 6 deer Monday the 29th of December. They were a hundred yards away on the next ridge. Tuesday morning at 9:00 a.m. I saw three does walk down a ridge about 150 yards away and then a small buck chased them back up the ridge about a half hour later. Wrong place at the wrong time. I\'m heading out to a friend\'s property in the morning to see what/if anything\'s moving.Otto

I bought a used Martin Savannah from a guy a couple months ago and I have shot a couple thousand arrows with it. I decided to take it for a drive Saturday evening. A doe walked under my stand and I drilled her between the shoulder blades. All the way through the spine. She dropped and rolled and I put another through her lungs....over in about a minute.

LongbowDoe_e-mail.jpg

I\'ve been. Since moving to teach at the middle school, my work load has increased. My sign business has been crazy, and I have been worried I wouldn\'t have time to hunt. Got away Friday night and Dad and I headed out. I like the traditional stuff. Used to shoot a recurve a lot just for kicks....never shot at an animal with it aside from squirrels. It\'s so much simpler and easier to practice. Less tinkering and I don\'t carry a tool box with me. I will still hunt with the compound....just spicing things up a bit.I drop in and make sure the sight is still alive....just haven\'t had much to add unless you want to read about Professional Learning Communities or Curriculum Implementation Forms.Talk Later,Otto

22 hours of hand stitching. Would have been a lot less but I had to sew a bunch of pieces together to make a big enough sheet to roll. Simple and rugged and it works sweet.

Quiver09-1.jpg

Otto I\'m with ya on the Traditional Stuff! I own an old Alaskan Bear recurve and a ol\' traditional longbow, and I prefer them both over my compound! Compounds are still fun...but there\'s something about those longs and recurves that\'s just amazing. Keep up with the awesome kills! :)

Been a long time since I visited here. Time to get this ole hunting log back in line.A couple game pics from the last couple weeks off my old trusty home brews. I blew the dust off of them.

P1010036.jpg

In 2010, I started hunting with a tree Saddle harness. I used climbing sticks, ladder sticks and tree steps to get up to height. Then I just hunted hanging in the tree from a harness. I sold my climbing stands and my lock on stands. In the summer of 2011, I bought some books on climbing.....primarily caving and arborist techniques. I bought some rope and other equipment and taught myself a couple different single rope techniques. Now I climb all of my hunting trees with a rope and rappel down after dark. It is a lot of fun. I have all of my favorite trees marked on my GPS. No carrying stands anymore. Just 40feet of rope and my ascenders. I wear my harness so I don\'t have to carry it. Here is a pic of my system.post-14-13958931273_thumb.jpgpost-14-139589312733_thumb.jpgpost-14-139589312736_thumb.jpg