Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Otto

Otto\'s Hunting Journal

107 posts in this topic

Got out an hour before light, found my tree and got set up. Started raining at daylight with 25 mph wind gusts....no deer moving. Hunted until 11:00.....soaking wet headed back to camp to dry out. Changed clothes and headed back out at 2:00....still raining and windy....40 degrees. No deer moving. Left at dark.Otto

7:30-A small 8 pointer trailing a doe heads across a field about 150 yards away. 8:00-A small doe runs by me and locks up before entering a thicket. She is staring into the brush and I hear a grunt. Oh boy.......he\'s coming. Another small eight pointer comes running out of the thicket and circles the doe. As he comes up behind her, she darts into the thicket and he follows.9:00-Two does run through the woods.....nothing behind them. Another hunter must have pushed them.9:10-Three more does trot by about 100 yards out. Dad calls and says he climbed down to warm up so his toes wouldn\'t snap off. He forgot his arctic shield booties in the truck! I think he spooked the does to me.9:20-Mama doe and a fawn go by. All of the deer are heading in the same direction down into the northeast corner of the property. 10:45-A single doe meanders through the thicket slowly....nothing trailing. I hunt until 11:30 and climb down to warm up and eat a sandwich at the truck. Drive back to the main farm to check out any successful hunters from our group. Not a single deer shot this morning on the main farm.Headed back out at 2:00 and hunted til dark. Not a single deer spotted.Otto

Got out nice and early. In the stand and set-up 45 minutes before shooting time. At 6:00, I have a couple deer running around directly behind me. Can\'t see a thing. Daylight comes and no action all morning. I see one doe run across the end of the field around 10:00. Dad calls me on the radio and tells me he needs a change of scenery and is pulling his stand. I agree. We meet at the truck at 11:00 and he takes the four-wheeler to check out another spot. I took a nap in the truck. At 1:30 he gets back and I get my stuff together to go set my stand up. I knew where I wanted to go because I had scouted out a good area earlier. Dad dropped me off on top of a ridge at 2:15. I had my tree stand on my back, my backpack in my left hand and my gun in my right. I walked quietly down the ridge to the creek where I found some big rubs earlier. When I got about 50 yards from the creek I stopped. I was looking at a tree to climb and turned slowly around to check my view across the creek. When I looked across the creek about 100 yards out I spotted movement and then long tines coming trough some scrub brush. I about had a heart attack as this old boy comes walking up along the other side of the creek. I knelt down next to the tree and waited for him to reach an opening in the brush and I shot him at about 70 yards. He jumped....ran about 10 yards, and rolled down a 10 foot bank into the creek and got hung up in some small trees on the steep creek bank. I could still hear Dad\'s 4 wheeler headed down into the bottom. I hear my radio in my backpack so I get it out. Dad says, \"What was that?\" I said, \"I just shot a nice buck!\" He says, \"You have got to be kidding me!\" He came back on the four wheeler. I field dressed him and then we had a heck of a time getting him up the 15 foot creek bank. We took him up to the truck and Dad went out to hunt. He never saw anything big enough to shoot that evening.Vernon Huck (my taxidermist) skinned his head yesterday. He called me and told me I got an old buck 6 1/2 or 7 1/2 years old.He field dressed 175 lbs and had a spot on his chest worn off to the meat. Vernon said it\'s a \"riding injury\" from servicing does so apparently he was doing a good job of passing on his genetics. It was exciting.Otto

post3.jpg

post-0-139589276479_thumb.jpg

River, This is Northern Missouri and our camp is in a huge river bottom. 1000s of acres and flat. The spot I hunt about 3 miles away is plenty hilly.Otto

Haven\'t been keeping up with this as I should. Dad and I have hunted every weekend so far this year. We bowhunted Illinois, did the special archery hunt at Peck Ranch, then Dad had the week off as I took Bailey out to get her 7 pointer last Sunday.Illinois: I have seen several deer. Had a couple does bust me and also saw several small bucks. Dad got a button buck in Illinois this morning at 9:24 (8:24 now). He was angry because he thought it was a doe. He wouldn\'t let me take a picture. Probably weighed about 65-70 lbs. I saw 3 small bucks this morning...a spike, a three pointer, and a decent 6 pointer that should be good in another 2 years maybe. Found a line of rubs as big as my calf. I hope the shotgun hunters don\'t get him before I have another chance.Peck Ranch: We had a great time.....not hunting in the ranch though. I had 5 different hunters walk right under my stand Friday. I waved at them to get their attention, but none of them noticed me until they got right under me and I whistled. That was enough. I pulled my stand and hunted outside the ranch. I took a 80 lb button buck Saturday evening at 5:15 outside the ranch. I just knew it was a doe and it was in a brushy grown up clear-cut. When his head went behind a tree at 10 yards, I nailed him. He ran about 15 yards and flipped....it was over fast. I didn\'t get a pic of him either. Got a few of camp I\'ll post. Met a bunch of crazies from Dexter that were camped next to us. We had a good time.Bailey, my 15 year old daughter got a 7 pointer during the youth season. I have already posted it up, but I will add it here as well. She took him Sunday morning at 7:48 at 18 yards with her new Rossi .243 with a Leupold 2-7x 32 mm and handloads with 90 grain Ballistic tips. Recovery was 20-30 yards. Been a great season so far. Used my new butt-out 3 times and it works like a charm.I\'ll be heading north to Putnam county this next weekend so I\'ll have a fresh batch of stories and pics when I return. Good luck to all of you.Otto

post21.jpg

Originally posted by OttoA collage I put together. I have posted this previously, but I wanted a copy in my hunt log.

Otto that is so awesome great job on what you have done great pictures thanks for sharing:wave::rock-on:

Not much luck this year. Due to family commitments, only 5 of the ten guys in our club made it to camp. The others managed to get some bowhunting in the prior week. Dad and I arrived at camp late Thursday night. We found a large doe hanging from the meat pole. Bob had connected Thursday evening. Bob told me they saw some nice bucks around, but didn\'t get any shots. Friday morning, while Dad and I sneaked in the woods to set up our stands, Tom got a good eight pointer with his bow. He hit it in the liver, so he backed out and gave him some time. Rodney and Tom went back out around 11:00 a.m. and after a long tracking job, they found him.

post-0-139589278716_thumb.jpg

Friday evening: I took my bow out. I saw a small 6 pointer and video taped him....didn\'t see anything else.Saturday morning: I watched a procession of 5 small bucks from 7:30 to 9:00 2 six pointers, 2 four pointers, and a spike. Nothing legal. Dad saw 4 small bucks and six does. He didn\'t take any shots at the does....said it was to early.Saturday evening. Saw nothing.Sunday morning: Saw 4 does, but they were running across a field about 200 yards away. Dad saw a 6 pointer trailing a doe... Couldn\'t get a shot.Sunday evening. I saw two does in the brush about 70 yards out. and waited for a shot. I watched them melt away and never knew where they went.....amazing.Monday morning: We sat until 10:00 a.m. Didn\'t see a thing. Went and broke camp and made our 6 hour trip home. I don\'t have a place to gun hunt here around home and it is Southern Illinois\' shotgun season this weekend, so I\'m taking this weekend off to get caught up on a few jobs. I\'ll be hitting the Illinois woods over Thanksgiving. Hope my luck swings the other way.

Sat for two and a half days....Friday, Saturday and Sunday morning. I saw 30 + or - turkeys in a group twice and a small spike Saturday morning. That was it. And it was great cold crisp mornings. I don\'t know where the deer were. Full moon had them up all night maybe. I know it was bright. I got up at two in the morning to potty and I thought the sun was coming up. Going down to a friend\'s place to muzzle load this weekend. Hope to see something.Otto

Originally posted by OttoHad a wedding to shoot on Saturday, so I didn\'t make it to camp until midnight Saturday night. Dad filled me in on his week. He didn\'t see a single deer. Wasn\'t looking good. Sunday morning....made it to my stand 30 minutes before daylight. Very quiet...no wind at all. Nothing happened until 8:30. About 70 yards below me I saw a deer hop across a dry creek bed. I just happened to look that way or I would have never known it was there. About 20 minutes later, I heard deer snorting and blowing a couple hundred yards away. Sounded like those deer that passed me spotted my truck. I figured maybe they would head back my way. I stood up, grabbed my bow and faced that direction. 15 minutes (9:05) later I spot movement and see a doe coming in at 25 yards. She continues coming straight at my tree. On the way to my stand this morning, I poured a half bottle of active scrape on the ground in a fan pattern about 10-15 yards from my tree. She stopped at around 12 yards and started sniffing the ground right where I sprinkled the scent. When she put her head down, I aimed at the base of the back of her neck. I released and she jumped....ran about 15 steps and piled up. Not another sound. I hung my bow up and as I turned around to pull up my rope, two more does were standing 20 yards behind me. They spotted me and shot out of there like rockets. I hit her right where I aimed to. The broadhead entered next to the spine, broke two ribs off, went through the heart and out the center of the brisket. There was hardly any blood left in her so you can imagine what the ground looked like in those 15 yards she travelled. I dressed the doe, drug her to the truck and headed to camp. It was already around 70 degrees at 10:00. I called her in to the DNR, then imediately skinned, quartered and put her in a cooler. Nice doe...probably a year and a half old. She wasn\'t large, but her milk sack was full. Apparently she has fawned this year. I\'d say she weighed 90 lbs.I took her with my new bow. Hoyt TrykonAxis HIT shafts with blazer vanes.Whisker Biscuit restSlick Trick broadheadSummit Viper treestand.I also found a great peep sight. It is mounted on the string with two screws and the hole is offset to the left of the string allowing a more natural sighting position (to me anyway).Now I wait for the big one.

Nice looking Deer Otto;)Great Job:grd:

Dad was diagnosed with prostate cancer two months ago. They caught it very early. He had radioactive seeds injected and had some problems with bleeding due to other medications. Well, last week, he went to the doctor feeling terrible. They put him in the hospital and gave him 2 pints of blood. He is like a new man and last weekend we hunted our butts off. We saw deer....we spooked deer, and I whacked one. It was a great weekend.

e_Doe_Archery_10-19-08_02.jpg