ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Otto

Otto\'s Hunting Journal

Finally got out yesterday. Set-up on a trail with lots of sign; however, the two IR cams I sat up in the area only had 1 pic last week and it was an opossum. Lots of squirrels and around 11:00 I spotted movement. Three turkeys were working my way. I don\'t have a tag for turkeys in Illinois. When they were 25 yards out, I reached slowly for my camcorder and 1 spotted me. I am 25 feet up a tree. They are amazing. They walked quickly back from where they came perking all the way. Didn\'t see a deer til I reached my truck in the dark. They were standing in the fields on the way out.Maybe next weekend....

Had a wedding to shoot on Saturday, so I didn\'t make it to camp until midnight Saturday night. Dad filled me in on his week. He didn\'t see a single deer. Wasn\'t looking good. Sunday morning....made it to my stand 30 minutes before daylight. Very quiet...no wind at all. Nothing happened until 8:30. About 70 yards below me I saw a deer hop across a dry creek bed. I just happened to look that way or I would have never known it was there. About 20 minutes later, I heard deer snorting and blowing a couple hundred yards away. Sounded like those deer that passed me spotted my truck. I figured maybe they would head back my way. I stood up, grabbed my bow and faced that direction. 15 minutes (9:05) later I spot movement and see a doe coming in at 25 yards. She continues coming straight at my tree. On the way to my stand this morning, I poured a half bottle of active scrape on the ground in a fan pattern about 10-15 yards from my tree. She stopped at around 12 yards and started sniffing the ground right where I sprinkled the scent. When she put her head down, I aimed at the base of the back of her neck. I released and she jumped....ran about 15 steps and piled up. Not another sound. I hung my bow up and as I turned around to pull up my rope, two more does were standing 20 yards behind me. They spotted me and shot out of there like rockets. I hit her right where I aimed to. The broadhead entered next to the spine, broke two ribs off, went through the heart and out the center of the brisket. There was hardly any blood left in her so you can imagine what the ground looked like in those 15 yards she travelled. I dressed the doe, drug her to the truck and headed to camp. It was already around 70 degrees at 10:00. I called her in to the DNR, then imediately skinned, quartered and put her in a cooler. Nice doe...probably a year and a half old. She wasn\'t large, but her milk sack was full. Apparently she has fawned this year. I\'d say she weighed 90 lbs.I took her with my new bow. Hoyt TrykonAxis HIT shafts with blazer vanes.Whisker Biscuit restSlick Trick broadheadSummit Viper treestand.I also found a great peep sight. It is mounted on the string with two screws and the hole is offset to the left of the string allowing a more natural sighting position (to me anyway).Now I wait for the big one.

post-0-139589276318_thumb.jpg

Bad news.....one of my IR cams has been stolen. Sometime last week, some ________ chopped through my python lock with an ax and took the camera. The other camera about 75 yards away by my TREESTAND! was alright. Ruined the whole weekend.Anyway, I saw one doe This morning and she was running from something.....never slowed down as she went by me. Nothing chasing her either. Aside from an incredible amount of squirrel activity, nothing else.Sunday morning hunt uneventfull....Dad and I pulled stands so they too do not get stolen. What a shame that so many of these sad people are out there with us.Moving to a more remote (maybe) area next weekend.Of Course, I have never seen anyone back there where my camera was stolen and I have hunted there many times.Maybe this jerk will push me onto a bigger buck\'s territory....who knows.

Otto

Stolen_Cam_Tree_1.jpg

My Home made IR Cam

IRCam002Post.jpg

I musta missed that post Otto, congrats on the nice take. I got to thinkin about yer cam. last night at work, and figured you\'d prolly be the first if ya designed a GPS thingy to accomodate most trail cams on the market so\'s folks might be able to deter thieves, or locate them with the sheriff. once the word got out that those stolen cams can be tracked right back to the thieves den, maybe folks wouldn\'t have to worry so much about losing the investment to them scumbags. There\'s yer moneymaker Otto!!

Had about 20 turkeys working their way down the ridge scratching....sounded like a truck going through the woods. A doe snuck in behind me in the damp leaves and when I heard a twig snap, she was standing there. By the time I got turned around, she was in the brush at thirty yards downwind. She had her nose up sniffing the air and then of she trotted out of sight. Evening hunt.....I heard two deer snorting at my truck where they cross the road. They hate my truck being parked there. Maybe I should hunt closer to it as this is the third time it has happened. Saw nothing from the tree this evening. Can\'t find any rubs or scrapes yet.

Bailey and I went to my two man ladder stand on a friends property. Got there a half hour before daylight. We watched lots of squirrels and a hawk....no deer moving. We left the woods at 11:00 a.m. and went to another spot in the afternoon. We sat on the ground in a hollow where I got some pictures of a good buck and a bunch of does. Again uneventful except for 6 turkeys moving through and an abundance of squirrels. We left at dark. On the way out on the access road, a huge buck ran across the road in front of us. We stopped by my friend\'s cabin on the way out and his brother and son were sitting on the porch with a doe they took. Brad pulled up and told me his son shot a doe at 160-180 yards right before dark and he was getting some lights to go find it. They finally found his deer at 11:45 p.m. She was hit in the brisket pretty far back and went 300 yards with a weak blood trail.

About a quarter mile from the property an hour before light, two bucks were standing at the edge of the road. A nice 2.5 to 3.5 year old eight and a smaller six still traveling together. They didn\'t know what to do in the truck headlights so they just paced back and forth trying to decide if they wanted to cross the road or not. We stopped and watched them for at least 30 seconds before they turned and ran up the field. When we got to our spot, Bailey and I went a little farther up the hollow and sat in an old permanent ground blind made of tin. One of the seats was bad so I stood up all morning. Squirrels pestered the crap out of us and again....the deer were not cooperating. We sat until 11:00 a.m. (10:00 a.m. new time) and headed in for lunch. We drove back out at 2:00. Brad and his son were finishing up cutting up meat from their doe. He said I should take Bailey up by their stand along a winter wheat food plot for our evening hunt. I agreed so she and I went up there about 2:00 p.m. I checked the wind and set us up in some cedars. I trimmed some limbs to give us an unobstructed view of the field. We sat up a couple folding chairs and I cut her some cross sticks and tied the top together.We sat back and waited. I watched one direction and she the other. At 4:30 she whispered, \"Dad!.....deer.\" I turned slowly and a deer stepped out into the field from a draw about 80-90 yards out. I said, \"That\'s your deer....get ready.\" She put the gun on the sticks and tried to find him. She looked at me and said, \"I can\'t see it....all I see is sticks and leaves.....you didn\'t trim low enough.\" (critic) I told her to wait until he walked a little higher in the field. He traveled about 15 yards and she tried again.....no go. I said, \"alright....get up slowly and get behind this tree.\" I stood up and put my hand against the tree so she could rest the gun on my arm. She aimed for about 2 minutes and she sighed frantically a couple times. She said, \" I can\'t hold it still....I\'m moving all over the place!\" I said, \"Calm down and take a deep breath....settle behind the shoulder half way up the deer....hold your breath and squeee......BOOM\". The deer took off running. She looked at me and said, \"Great!....I missed her completely.\" I said, \"I don\'t think you missed....we\'ll go look for blood in a few minutes.\" We walked up the field and I couldn\'t find blood. I walked farther up to the corn field and started working the edge. 30 yards farther (alot farther than I thought), I found blood. I called her over and we started tracking. The cornstalks were smeared with blood indicating a mid to high lung hit and I could see where the deer blew blood from his nose. It was a narrow strip of corn let standing. Probably 20 yards wide. On the other side of the corn I lost the trail. I told Bailey to stand on the last blood spot and I checked three trails. When I looked back, she was wandering around. I said, \"Bailey! please stay on the spot of blood so we don\'t lose it. I found a spot about 15 yards into the woods where the deer had stopped and called her over. I started making small circles looking for more. She said, \"Hey dad....hey....hey dad.\" I said, \"Bail....please be quiet....It\'s gonna get dark on us and we need to find this deer.\" She said, \"Uhhhh....isn\'t that my deer right over there?\" It was! about 20 yards away in the middle of the trail. She and I were very happy at that point. It was a great afternoon.

post-0-13958927643_thumb.jpg

Great story Otto, did ya have Bailey track for blood from the deer back to where you were standing at the last found drop? may have helped her realize the ole man really did know what he was up to.:thumbup:

I pulled up an Aerial map of our area on the computer and found a field where 15 does hang out every evening when I drive by. There is government ground behind the field so I plotted a trail around the field on my GPS and made a map for dad. He cut a trail through a briar patch and across a dry creek and set up our stands back there on Thursday. He called me Thursday night and told me I was right. He found some big fresh scrapes and some torn up russian olive trees. He was excited and told me to hurry and get down there Friday after school. Saturday morning, we went back in there and a few does went by me at 8:00. Dad was about 75 yards down the ridge so I watched them until they got behind him, then I whispered in the radio, \"hey...there are two deer behind you.\" He turned around real slow and couldn\'t get a shot at the big doe. The small doe got out about 30 yards and he thumped her good. He hit her a little back in the liver. I was watching all of this with my binoculars. The deer trotted about ten yards and stopped. She stood there for about 5 minutes and then walked back towards his stand (about 20 yards away) and layed down and put her head down and expired. Took about 10 minutes I guess. She probably weighed 70 lbs. He wouldn\'t let me take a picture of him with it. He gets that way sometimes. Saw nothing else and at 11:00, I climbed down and we met at the deer. I dressed her and drug her out for him and we called it in. I skinned her and quartered her and got her in a cooler.We went out that evening and I sat up my stand about 50 yards downwind of 4 scrapes. Didn\'t see a thing. When I climbed down it was dark.It was a good day.

Hunted in the drizzle and rain for 6 hours......I saw 1 squirrel....no deer moving except at night. I saw 40 does last night right after dark in the truck headlights. (30 were in one small field!) This nocturnal full moon business has got to stop. Won\'t get to hunt Southern Illinois for two weeks now. I gun hunt in Northern Missouri next weekend and then Illinois has their shotgun season the next weekend.Can\'t decide if I want to use the 7-30 Waters Contender, Lyman Great Plains Rifle, Encore Muzzleloader, or my Model 70 .243 up north.I should have lots of pictures and stories next week. Me and a few old college buddies and friends always have a great hunt up in Putnam County.Otto

for 3-4 uninterrupted days of hunting. The old man is picking me up at school at 3:10 and we are headed north. I will be bowhunting my honey hole tomorrow morning. Then rifle hunting Saturday and Sunday.....Have a chance for 2 nice bucks. I\'m excited......41 year old little kid.Otto