Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
greenbrd14

Proper Release Technique

13 posts in this topic

So I have been reading a lot about proper technique when using a wrist strap style release. Some say that you must use your back muscles and that the shot should \"surprise\" you as you focus on your target. Others say just a smooth pull is best method for bow hunters and to not get caught up in the whole \"surprise\" thing. What do you all think? I even have a cousin who just \"punches\" at the trigger with his index finger and can shoot pretty good.

I normals get focused and have sort of a tunnel vision and just slowly pull the trigger as if I\'m shooting a gun and when it gose off it gose off but I have also Ben shooting the same exact release for the last 8 years but I seem to do best that way take a deep breath in let half out focuse on Target and squeez iv spilt many arrows at 40 yards this way and at 20 yards I shoot at a different spot on the Target because I\'m scared of blowing.g up arrows to expensive

i use my back muscles to break the release. helped me get over target panic, and now i shoot better then ever. and i have to buy new arrows from splittin them at the knock end. lol but, i also shoot all the time.

Back tension style releases should be the only type that give you a surprise when they go off. Thats why wrist strap releases are the most popular for hunting. In a hunting situation where you may have to let down, re-draw, etc.......you need to be the one making the decision when the arrow is let go. This is the only ethical way to do it. Competition shooters have a different opinion of this and even most of those own a wrist strap for hunting. Long story short........if your form is good, you practice, and you hold your follow threw, you will be just fine for hunting purposes. Just my 2cents.

I agree with Cdiddy, practice your form until it becomes \"natural\" and follow through. Most people want to take a peak after the shot, make sure you completely follow through, and your arrow will hit the spot. Then keep practicing!!!!:thumbup:

everything that has to do with shooting, \"on the break of the trigger, be it a bow or a rifle\", should be a suprize. you should be focused on the spot u want to hit, not the break of the trigger! you dont have to use back muscles to do it, that is just how i shoot. you will get target panic if you try and time the pull of the trigger as the pin goes across the dot on the target. just my 2cents worth, but it works.

everything that has to do with shooting, \"on the break of the trigger, be it a bow or a rifle\", should be a suprize. you should be focused on the spot u want to hit, not the break of the trigger! you dont have to use back muscles to do it, that is just how i shoot. you will get target panic if you try and time the pull of the trigger as the pin goes across the dot on the target. just my 2cents worth, but it works.
I agree with this to a point. However, there are a lot of shoot, don\'t shoot scenarios when hunting. I think you and I are saying the same thing, only different.:cheers: If you shoot anything enough, have proper technique(that works for you), instinct kind of takes over. I squeeze triggers, may be the wrong way of doing things, but I\'m not so focussed that I can\'t stop a potentially bad thing from happening if I don\'t want it to. We owe it to the animals we shoot to make it as ethical as possible. What works for one, may not work for another. I don\'t like surprises when I have a weapon in my hand. I do understand what your saying and thats why I think we\'re saying the same thing in a different way. LOL

well, i can \"not shoot\" or \"stop the shot\" also if wanted to. you should read \"spring trigger realeases\" by Bill Winke in bowhunter mag from this time in 2010, he talks about it and scott releases with springs instead of a solid trigger, and he also shoots that way. a surprize release will allow you to shoot better. im by far an expert like some, but it has made my shooting 10 times what it was when i had target panic and wanted to punch the trigger when i thought the pin was right where i wanted it. shooting my bow better, is being ethical as possible. when it comes down to that second of time that you want that arrow or bullet released from your weapon, it should be a surprize.i fully understand what you are sayin, but what i, and others refer to as a \"surprize shot\" isnt like the surprize you get when drawin your bow and the d-loop breaks at half draw, and your arrow goes into the great blue ablivion, and your heart jumps up in your throat. its a surprize to your mind, so that your mind doesnt tell your other muscles to do somethin to screw up the focus of the shot. squeezin thru the trigger is the same thing, you dont know when it will go, you just know it will go. if this is how you shoot, you already have the surprized shot down. either way works, i just use the back muscles to pull on the arm. i have a deep grab on the trigger with a stiff hand, and the tension makes it all happen.

I\'m certain you can stop a shot. A lot of guys are literal and can misunderstand what your saying. I subscribe to Bowhunter, have already read every article from the last 5 years, and own a Scott release with a spring in it. So I get it. I\'m glad it makes you a better shot, but I don\'t agree with everything Bill Wenke says either. I\'m very, VERY far from an expert and guess I\'m not that technical of a shooter. You certainly wouldn\'t want me to be the guy who shoots an apple off your head!! Trust me on that. I just associate the word \"surprise\" and shooting at an animal to be a bad thing. My mind and muscles don\'t multi task very well most of the time I guess.:cheers:

I may be doing it all wrong according to the experts but I do sort of a hard squeeze as my sight crosses the target rather than try to hold dead steady on the spot. I cross the desired spot at a 45 degree angle from upper right to lower left and time my release as it crosses. Been shooting like that for years and it works for me.