Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
cranemansteve

elk,bear and cat's

11 posts in this topic

I was wondering if anyone on here has ever done a combined hunt like elk and bear or bear and mountain lions and if so where did you go? Can you buy tags over the counter? The reason I am asking is that I would like to go out west or to New Mexico to hunt (the above) but have little to no experience with (the above) and really hate to spend a fortune to TRY to take one of these animals. Where would be a good place to go (I don\'t want to pen hunt)thanks in advance

Without knowing people that already go on do it yourself hunts (with a reasonable chance for success) for those animals, I would start talking to outfitters about tags and quality hunts. Many western states have different rules on the purchase and drawing of tags. Obviously if you have a state in mind, their conservation departments website would be a great place to start for tag info. I know the MDC website tells you most everything you need to know. A lot of guys I know have to apply for tags out west, and get preference points if they don\'t draw a tag.

Ive hunted out west since 2006 and the only reason why is because i ran into a guy I worked with up in Calgary. I got lucky. We talked about hunting,next thing i know I was asked to come out and hunt,pronghorn,bear,elk,lion,deer(mule or whitetail),and anything else i wanted in northern Wyoming. Moose is a hard tag to get as well as mountain goat and bighorn sheep. The best advise i can give is to get a map and find all the national forest/public land. I hunt the bighorn mountains,about 60 miles wide,200 miles long roughly and its ALL PUBLIC. No need for guides or high expenses and can camp for free. You can call about leftover deer and elk tags,but you need to know what area you want to hunt first. Bear season is just a matter of buying one over the counter,but there are quotas. The area i hunt usually has a quota of 6-8 females. depends what was harvested the year prior. So,you can go out and hunt 30 days or 3 days before the season ends. Tags are about $400ea. for a bear and lion. quotas for lion as well. Most of the time there are leftover deer tags but every year varies. i bought a leftover tag last year,but put in for a tag for this year to ensure id get one. Deer tags are around $400 and the tag is good for bow or gun. They are 2 different dates though. Sept. is bow,oct 15th starts gun. Pronghorn always have leftovers,but this is just in the areas i hunt. im sure its different everywhere. heres the link: http://gf.state.wy.us/ all my hunting has been FAIR chase,no guides,other than my friend and he doesnt really go with me much anymore as I like to go on my own,but he did kinda show me some areas but the rest was up to me. The bear i got was simply glassing the mountain sides,i found one and went after him.well, her i mean. She was about a mile and a half away. We used our atvs to get through the terrain,it took about 45 minutes to get to it,and i honestly had some of the most fun ever. Ill be going back next spring for sure. Maybe this fall. It did take me 5 years before i drew an elk tag though,but i wanted a specific area and they only give 75 tags. I met a couple outfitters and I personally think its crap to use one. They take your thousands of dollars and take you to private land(that I got permission to hunt for free just by simply asking,twice) and let you hunt it,or they take you to PUBLIC land that you can hunt for free as well. These animals are for everyone,how they can charge money is simply unbelievable,but they can and do. I asked a land owner to hunt a pronghorn and he told me to shoot all of them,including the deer. I had a deer tag too. Anyways,do some research and IMO do it on your own. To me its much more rewarding when you get the animal. Be prepared to go home empty though. i wasted 3 deer tags,but sealed the deal last year on day 3. Im going to be doing my 1st elk hunt this September,i cant wait. good luck and let me know if you need anymore help!

thanks for the info. I just hate going to a new place without someone from that area or someone that has been there before. I looked up all the tags and areas to hunt out there and to tell you the truth it was a little confusing trying to figure out all the dates,areas and ect from the CDC web pageAgain thanks for the info.

Its definitely confusing. For deer,elk,and a few others they have \"types\" of licenses. Such as bow for bucks only,does only,either. gun for bucks only,doe only,or either ,and so on, then the dates are all different,then you can hunt on one side of the road but not the other(in certain areas). Then they have areas,Im starting to understand a little more of it now though. For example i put in area 38,type 9(i think) which means i want to hunt area 38 and use a bow for bull elk only(which is type 9). I kinda think they have all these rules so you DO screw up and they can fine you. :P

We did a mule deer hunt in southern WY a couple of years ago. Unguided and waisted $326. After 3 days of not a deer and 11\" of snow a Guy in a coffee house told us to go north and do a antelope hunt. Tags are reasonable and game is plentiful. I know this is not what you are wanting to do but once you get out there the locals are more than willing to help you out. We do leftover tags and hunt BLM ground with excellent success. Last year I took out 5 guys and we killed 18 goat\'s in 3 days. If you have any interest let me know I can help ya out.Chris

Hey Mosqueeler that sounds good, I really don\'t care if I kill something the first trip out (it would be nice too) just wanted to go out and see if I would like it enough to learn more about hunting the west, by the way were them goats any good for eating.

I know the question was not directed towards me but thought id comment anyways,(sorry). it is gamey,but good. From what I was told,Its best to shoot one that has not been running and try to drop it in its tracks. They have glands that will make the meat taste funny if they get to running,they stink either way,but fun to hunt as they can see you a mile away.

We like them. As with anything meat prep from kill to cooler does a lot. We usually will get them on ice in an hour. I personally think they are better than whitetails.

I use to live in western SD and made trips to Montana and Wy. If you go without any help you better have good luck.I did a Black bear hunt totally on my own in the Yellowstone Vally of Montana, it was an adventure. I have also hunted Bear with an outfitter in the Big Horns of WY, i took a 6ft boar 2nd afternoon.It depends on how much time and effort you are willing to spend.I did alot of research b4 I hunted Montana and I lived in the Black Hills but I still wasn\'t prepared for the hunting conditions of the Rockys.If you scroll down to the bottom of the this page it has some of my experience in the Mts .http://hartoutdoors.com/bear.html

i think idaho has over the counter elk tags. im sure of it, couple friends of mine went out there a few years ago ad bow hunted, they had good luck for their first time on their own.