ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
awhuber

Peck Ranch Closure

I couldn\'t find a way to reply in the \"ask MDC\' so I\'ll post here.My questionCould you explain why portions of Peck are closed for turkey season, because of the elk introduction, when there will not be any elk there til the 30th of April. Thanks in advance. The response.That\'s a good question and I\'m not sure why it\'s closed. It was my understanding that once the elk arrived at Peck Ranch CA it would be closed off to the public. Why it\'s closed to turkey hunting, I have no idea. My suggestion would be to call the Conservation Headquarters in Jefferson City at 573-751-4115 since someone there would have made the decision to close the area.Thank you. I called and got several reasons for the closure.First answer was \" so the Elk will not be disturbed\" Me:HUH? There are Elk there now?Few second delay... um no. Me: then why is it closed now? Why was the OZark trail closed to hikers last month?We are building pens there now and they are quite large, it is for worker safety.We have the best Conseveration dept. in the nation, however they realize they have a PR mess on their hands with the Elk introduction. There is a full press on now to get back in the good graces of the rural folks by attending any Rotary, Chamber, Farm Bureau 4H, etc meeting.Several other questions were answered here by MDC_Agent except this one which is the third rail now and all questions about Elk introduction will be refered to JC.Thanks again and keep up the good work.

PR mess? Third rail? Get back in good graces with the rural folks? Just curious....what\'s that all about and where did you hear it? I\'m pretty sure that the MDC_Agent answered your question. I mean, he said he wasn\'t sure why it was closed. He also gave you a number to call.

Yep MO PR mess? Third rail? Get back in good graces with the rural folks? Just curious....what\'s that all about and where did you hear it? All said to me by a MDC employee. Its not pretty down here in the introduction area.

Actually it all makes perfect sense, think about it, the Elk will be showing up around the end of April, Well, the Turkey season is (i have not looked at the dates so i may be a little off) the last week of April and the first two weeks of May. This would put turkey hunters in the woods during the arival of the Elk, your going to have Elk already stressed, in pens, and shooting going on, your going to have agents and wildlife biologists as well as other workers in the area. If the dates of the Turkey season are what they have been in the past, my post reasons it all out. MDC will close Peck ranch probably for several years, may as well accept that. And yes there is a Public Relations problem, while as hunters we are happy to see the Elk being re introduced back to Missouri. There is a lot of folks in and around that area that probably do not hunt, they have cattle or farms to worry about. And then there is the Elk to Car thing hanging out there in the wind and possible collisions, those people are NOT happy, and its understandable if you look at things from their point of veiw. Im glad the Elk are coming back, but im realistic as well, i think its going to be very long time before we are allowed to hunt them, tags are going to be very very hard to get when they do populate enough, and hunters all over the State are going to be very frustrated that they will be looked over many times and may never get a tag. If they do a draw and dont take names out of those who already got a chance wether they tag or not, and you see a hunter get drawn 2 or more times...big trouble will brew over that, im starting to see this as a mistake myself. Will i ever get a chance to bow hunt a bull elk in my home State? chances are probably 1 in a million, im not going to hold my breath.

Its a big PR mess down here. This issue is WAY more split than most hunters realize. A soccer mom worried about an accident or a farmer worried about his fence really doesn\'t care if hunters support the introduction. There are few people who don\'t hunt that support this. I think Passthru pretty much somed it up with his post. Hit the nail on the head. If you spend much time in Shannon county you will learn it isn\'t very well received at ground zero also.

the closing of peck ranch is not the only problem. all gov. departments ( MDC...FOREST SERVICE....PARK SERVICE ) are slashing timber and letting it rotim talking trees that are 16 inch,s at the but.and closing a lot of roads i got land on 2 sides of peck ranch and i am woried about my fence,s and my haythey are already tring to tell me what i can and cant do

the closing of peck ranch is not the only problem. all gov. departments ( MDC...FOREST SERVICE....PARK SERVICE ) are slashing timber and letting it rotim talking trees that are 16 inch,s at the but.and closing a lot of roads i got land on 2 sides of peck ranch and i am woried about my fence,s and my haythey are already tring to tell me what i can and cant do
Well there is 8K acres of MDC land next to me they are clear cutting but selling the Logs. I hunt COE Land and it seems they are not doing this.Only thing that turned me against Peck Ranch is MHP stopping me for no Seat Belt back in there on gravel roads.oneshot