Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
MoHuntress

Elk Update: Current Numbers and Causes of Mortality

12 posts in this topic

Published on: Mar. 14, 2011Of our original 49 elk captured, 34 remain with others having died from illness or injury. The majority of these deaths have come from pneumonia, which can be present before capture or brought on by stress from this species of wild animal being kept in a confined environment. Other causes of death included injuries suffered after capture, which could not have been prevented.We expected some losses. This “mortality” is typical in trapping and relocation situations where you place a concentration of wild animals in a confined environment for a period of time. We also had this mortality back when we were restoring white-tailed deer and wild turkey.Normal “winter mortality” is also common in all wildlife to varying degrees. Some of these elk would have likely died over the winter from illness, injury or predators, even if they had not been captured. This Kentucky winter has also been colder and wetter than normal, which has very likely contributed to some of the mortality associated with illness, such as pneumonia.The remaining elk are in a three-acre fenced enclosure in eastern Kentucky where they are undergoing extensive disease testing and where their health is being monitored daily. We anticipate the elk arriving at the restoration zone on Peck Ranch Conservation Area in southeast Missouri at the end of April or first week of May.

Wonder how many more will die in that transport and release. 30% seems like a high number for them not even making it here yet. Sure hope we don\'t lose any more.

I think the main reason behind not releasing them is that they are used to human exposure. I know the ones at Ol Missouri Town will literary RUN to the fence when people walk up. They are just so used to getting fed.

according to the conservation represenative at the elk foundation banquet over the weekend they are planning to release elk for atleast two more years. They are hoping to release close to 150 in all then get the herd up to about 400 and maintain it there. They may try to get some of the elk from Arkansas next year.

I don\'t know but I imagine dealing with the calves would be a problem.
Not to mention having to deal with the summer heat during transport. Hmmm I wonder how much an air conditioned livestock transporter would cost?:poke:

They may try to get some of the elk from Arkansas next year.
Heck, just tie one end of a rope to an elk, and the other to an armadillo, that should get them up here in no time. :D