Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Cherokee

Looking for an automotive electrician-

34 posts in this topic

My tractor I bought was running just fine and would still I\'m sure. I thought the starter button went out- so I crossed the solenoid and it took right off. So I took an ohms meter and checked the starter button- it\'s fine and so is the key switch. I thought it might be the solenoid, so I bought a new one and wired it just like the other one was- still won\'t start. I checked the wire that goes to the coil, it was cracked in several spots, I figured at 53 years old, it\'s about time to change it out, so I did. Got everything put back together, nothing, nada, zilch. There is a reason people go to school for electrical and painting- Cause I don\'t do it! I weld, I beat steel, that\'s my gig. This thing is about to get a welders lesson in working- 2 lb fix Everything! I loathe electrical and paint- looking for someone to come over and fix it. Money might greasy the operation??

Just so you know- it\'s been changed over from 6 volt to 12 volt. It run just fine since I bought it. Never failed to start, as a matter of fact, you didn\'t have to stay on the starter, just barely bump it over and off she went. I\'m plum corn fuzed!

I had a 53 ford pickup that was 6 volts converted over to 12 volts. One day it would just click like it was the solenoid. Replaced it but still just clicked. Checked everthing out and found it was the battery cable. The six volt cable was thicker and it corroded to were it was a big resistor and all the voltage dropped across it. What I did was to disconnect one end of the cable and used a pair of jumper cables were the cable was and it stated. Replaced the cable and it was good to go. After that I replaced all the wires in the whole truck.

Possible fuseable link, I have seen 6volt systems converted to 12v and the fuseable link will last awhile then fail. Course don\'t over look the obvious, battery and cables.

a 901 solenoid has a live hot with key on ,the starter switch completes completes the circuit by grounding it,you might clean your switch,it sounds like a bad connection to me as roscoe stated. a test light might prove more handy in this instance,as a ohm meter will show voltage when theres not enough amps to do the jobhope this helps :cheers:

Okay, I think I got a ton of information about the problem. I\'ve got 12.56 volts into the key switch and 3.76 volts out of the switch. I used a jumper to completely bypass the key switch, and I crossed the solenoid- still nothing. Maybe the battery and starter cables on the wrong posts on the solenoid? Here is a pic of the wiring on the solenoid top big post-battery. Top small post, ignition. Bottom small, starter button and big bottom, starter post.post-1598-139589294598_thumb.jpgpost-1598-1395892946_thumb.jpgpost-1598-139589294602_thumb.jpg

Here is the 3 wire diagram- it\'s all Greek to me!post-1598-139589294605_thumb.jpgAnd here is the 1 wire diagram, I think I have the 3 wire, but I\'m not sure of electrical wiring.post-1598-139589294606_thumb.jpg

check the connections at the junction block that the ignition switch wires go into.with the ignition switch wires twisted together, check your voltage at your + post at the coil and let me know what the voltage is.check the voltage at the solenoid + post and tell me what the voltage isand check the voltage at the alternator + post and tell me what the voltage is

If I hot wire the thing and run a wire from the battery side of the solenoid to the starter side of the solenoid, it runs- So is it possible I have the starter cable and battery cable on the opposite posts?

If I hot wire the thing and run a wire from the battery side of the solenoid to the starter side of the solenoid, it runs- So is it possible I have the starter cable and battery cable on the opposite posts?
your basicaly jumping the internals of the solenoid then (if im reading this correctly). its more possible that your solenoid shot craps. are the cables in the same spot they were when you bought the tractor? or did you move them previously and the problem started after that?

I Quit! I broke the solenoid when I was changing wires on it. I didn\'t think I was putting that much pressure on that bolt, the black plastic part broke away from the rest of it- I\'ll just hire an electrician to come out here and fix the .. .. .. .. thing. I\'m sick of messing with it- It\'s lucky I didn\'t stick a 2 lb thru the block-

I hot wired the battery post on the solenoid to the ignition side of the solenoid then jumped the battery side to the starter side. It started and ran for about 10 seconds. It\'s a cold natured beast and you have to tinker with the choke, but it also floods easily. Tomorrow, a new key switch and solenoid- I\'ll get it going one way or the other.

Yeah, I get a lot of broken bolts- they seem too easy to twist off. I try to be easy with them, and that easy turning feeling comes right back to bite me. Happens all the time. 3/8\" and 1/2\" bolts are my worst enemies! I just snug them up and they just twist right off- this has been going on my whole life. I once changed the blades on a bush hog, 1\" drive ratchet and 4\' of pipe- back to town to buy another bolt- I snapped it right off- I hate it!