ShoMeOutdoors Forums
MoHuntress

SASSYRED (2011-2012)

December 28th, 2011******************New Camera!!!For Christmas, Mom and Dad got me a new Kodak Z990 Max. I had been wanting a good camera with a long zoom to take with me when I go hunting, since every time I see an animal that\'s not in season, it\'s too far away, and the pictures always turn out blury; so this camera is perfect! So anyway, while waiting for a ride to pick my truck up from the shop, I decided to go and try my new camera out. I got a few good pics, but I can\'t wait to use the 30x zoom to capture a deer or turkey, (or some other \"larger\" wildlife), sometime :thumbup:I think this one was saying the Pledge :smilebig:post-1204-139589302643_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589302643_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589302644_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589302645_thumb.jpgSassyRed

January 1st, 2012***************Bringing in the New Year!Last night, I got to thinking about what all I had done in the last year, and I decided that I\'m pretty dad-gum thankful for having the outdoors as an outlet! See, two years ago, I broke my back in seven places and sustained a head injury while rodeoing, lost my job because of it, and have been dealing with those injuries ever since. I\'m pretty sure that if I hadn\'t have had the outdoors to turn to, I probably would\'ve gone crazy a long time ago, just sitting here waiting to heal :freak: But instead, in 2011, I taught myself how to make a couple of different kinds of turkey calls, (which, by the way, is a ton of fun to do); I learned the sport of sporting clays; taught myself how to carve designs into antlers - and passed that art along to my ten-year-old niece\'s Girl Scout troop, (which still insists on wearing the carved antler necklaces they made EVERY day :thumbup: ); became more active with the NWTF and NRA; improved a tremendous amount with my bow, (which also helped my back regain most of it\'s strength :cool: ); got to help teach my seven-year-old nephew, and my now five-year-old nephew, how to shoot a BB gun; learned how to hunt upland birds with my Mom; got to spend a lot of time in the woods and on the water with my family, (mostly with my best huntin\'/fishin\' buddy - my dad); took my one-year-old nephew on his first fishing trip; captured some pretty cool photos while taking my walks for physical therapy out at the farm; got to see the thrill in my seven-year-old newphew\'s eye\'s after he harvested his first deer - a seven point buck :thumbup: ; along with several other things that were all great for my moral! Most of my hunts this year might have been cut short because of my injuries, but even if I only get to spend a few, short hours in God\'s country at time, I\'ll gladly take it! I honestly don\'t know where I\'d be if I hadn\'t have had outdoor activities to turn to in the past couple of years! Not only has it been great for my moral, but it\'s also been great physical therapy for me!Also, here are a couple of my goals for this year: to learn how to shoot trap, and to become involved in the ATA\'s trap shoots. If the weather permits, I\'ll be entering my first trap shoot at the end of this month. And, Dad goes in for his second eye surgery this month, and when that all goes as planned, he and I will be heading over to the 4-B\'s for some much anticipated phesant hunting! I\'m sure I\'ll also come up with some other new things to learn this year, as well :DBut, back to today... I figured I\'d try my hand at making an arrow, and I had an old, cracked, chewed on deer shed laying around, so I decided to use that to make one. It took quite a while to cut the piece out that I wanted to use, but I finally got it. It didn\'t turn out quite as I had planned either, (it\'s waaay lop-sided), but I figure even though it\'s crooked as a horse\'s jaw, it turned out pretty decent for my first one. I also tried to make one using the bottom out of a glass root beer bottle. I was using a tip of an antler to shape it, and I had it looking pretty good, but I guess I must have pressed a little too hard, because it broke into several pieces :duh:Front of the anlter arrow head:post-1204-139589302696_thumb.jpg Back of the antler arrow head:post-1204-139589302697_thumb.jpgWell, that\'s my two cents for today.Here\'s to wishing you all a safe and blessed New Year,SassyRed

January 2nd, 2012***************Wheelin\' and Dealin\' and Making New Friends...I had posted several traps for sale on craigslist, and met up with a guy today to sell him 20 of them. Turns out, he recently retired from the Marines after serving 20 years, and moved here from Michigan when he got back from over-seas. He said that trapping here in Missouri is a lot different than in Michigan; and he was nice enough to give me several pointers for catching yotes, cats, and foxes :thumbup: It was really great to meet him, and he even gave me an extra tip for gas money for meeting him half-way :D Dad had gone with me, and the best part was that after hearing trapping stories from me and the gentleman we met, Dad\'s outdoor juices got to flowing :cheers: So on the way home, we stopped off for some lunch, and then some ammo for his new gun that Mom got him for Christmas, (a Remington .243, Model 770 - just like mine), and some for his 28 gauge. The entire time, all I heard was how we\'re going to make it a point to do a lot of hunting, fishing, target shooting, and camping this year - just as soon as he gets his cornia transplant in his eye. He says if there\'s a season for it, we\'re going to hunt/fish it this year :cool: It\'s so awesome! After losing most of his sight in the war 42 years ago, he\'s finally going to get to hunt and fish like he did when he was a kid! When we got home, he had to look at several of my guns to get ideas of what he wanted, and to see if he could see my sights and crosshairs. He had one of his eyes fixed a while back, but some things went wrong, and had to fix it again a few days ago; and now he can see the sights on some of my rifles, and one of my revolvers. So, I can\'t wait until his other eye gets repaired! He\'s been watching hunting shows since we got home tonight; he\'s like a kid in a candy store ;) And, I\'m very excited to take him out next month after his next and final surgery, so he can do what he\'s yearned for for so long! He really deserves to be able to enjoy the outdoors again! Sure, he does now when he goes with me, but after his surgery, it will be like a whole new experience, and I simply can\'t wait for that :thumbup:post-1204-139589302711_thumb.jpgSassyRed

January 3rd, 2012***************My Nephew\'s Euro-Mount is Done!!!I could have swore that I posted the story of my seven-year-old nephew\'s first deer, but I guess I didn\'t :puzzled: So... in youth season this year, I got my nephew all bundled up in his orange, and my brother, (his dad), took him hunting. He missed the first two deer he had shot at, but as soon as my brother firgured out that Silas wasn\'t holding the gun still, they fixed that problem, and he was able to take his first deer! It was a 100 yard shot right before dark on November 6th, 2011, with my niece\'s .223 single shot, and the big seven-pointer dropped like a sack of taters :clap: This deer was also the biggest he shot at, so he was kind of glad that he had missed the first two ;) Unfortunatley, I had already left, and was a few town\'s away when he made his shot, but I sure heard about it as soon as it happened! I don\'t know who was more excited: my nephew, my brother, or me! They both called me a dozen times that night to tell me the story, and I let out a yell of excitement in the middle of the store when I got the text of the photo - making everyone think I was nuts :D And, lucky for me, our little hunter said he\'d teach me how it\'s done if I\'ll take him hunting with me :roll:As soon as I got home, I got a \"My First Deer\" certificate for Silas from the Conservation Department, had Walgreens put his picture on the cover of Field and Stream Magazine, (which I had framed, and gave it to him for Christmas), and had his picture, along with my cousin\'s boy\'s, and my best friend\'s son\'s pictures, (with their first ever deer - both bucks- that they took this year), in the local news paper. I think all three of those boys wore their pictures out at school the next day - Silas said he showed his to EVERYBODY... TWICE, lol!But anyway, that\'s the story, and here\'s a picture of his euro-mount that just got done! His grandpa on his mom\'s side made it for him, and even put an engraved name plate, as well as the empty shell casing that Silas HAD to keep on it :thumbup: It\'s now proudly being displayed on his bedroom wall. Words can\'t begin to describe how proud and excited I am for my little buddy! Hopefully, I can talk him into going turkey hunting with me, and we can get a beard this spring to go along with this mount :grd:post-1204-13958930272_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589302722_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589302724_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589302716_thumb.jpg Sorry, I forgot to take a pic of the magazine cover...SassyRed

January 6th, 2012***************The Do-It-Yourself Predator DecoyMy cousin swung by today to tell me that he had been out to the back 40, (where I hunt), and came across a turkey that had its rear-end ate off, and was half-way buried in the ground. Since this is a sure sign of bobcats, (there are SEVERAL around here), and I can\'t have them eating all of my turkeys and quail, I\'m going to give predator hunting a shot :gun: I don\'t usually \"hunt\" predators. If I see one, and they\'re in season, I\'ll take them; but I don\'t have any predator gear other than an old call. So, since the Wal-Mart in my town doesn\'t carry any predator hunting gear, I decided to make my own decoy.I had a few junk arrows laying around, so I took an aluminum shaft, removed the fletching and nock, and am going to use the nock end as a stake to insert into the ground, (since it\'s already pointed). This arrow is already camo, so that helps, too! To give it a little extra length so that it may be seen over tall grass, I removed the fletching and nock from a carbon arrow, and inserted it into the aluminum one. I attached them together with silicone glue, and after it dried, I wrapped it in camo duct tape just for a little added stability. It now stands at about 36\". For whatever reason, I have several turkey feathers in my truck, (I pick them up every time I find one). So, I got one of them and poked a hole in the quill with a small pocket knife. I then grabbed a leader out of my walleye box, and hooked it to the hole in the feather, (and glued it). I used the leader, because it has a swivel, and I figure with that, the feather is less likely to get tangled up. I then found a screw that was just the right size to fit in the top of the carbon arrow. I attached this screw to the swivel end of the leader, and then glued the screw into the open end of the carbon arrow shaft.After it dried, Dad said he wasn\'t sure if it would work with the leader, and thought I should\'ve used something lighter. So... I took it outside for a test run. There was very little wind, but when staked in the ground at an angle, the slightest breeze would blow the feather around like crazy :thumbup:Feather decoys are pretty cheap to buy, but if you have this stuff laying around anyway, you\'d might as well make your own, rather than just throwing these materials away :smilebig: And, if your feather gets weathered, it\'s super easy to replace it since it just hooks on to the leader :cheers:post-1204-139589303412_thumb.jpgAnd, since I had so many feathers just laying around, I also decided to make use of a couple more of them. I took two of them, wrapped their quills together with deer skin leather straps, added a couple beads for decoration, and hung it from my rear-view mirror. That\'s just an idea for you to kick around if you collect turkey feathers, and have more than you know what to do with like me ;)post-1204-139589303414_thumb.jpgHope you enjoy,~SassyRed~

January 7th, 2012***************A New Bird :hmmm:I had planned on sitting in a tree this morning, but since that didn\'t pan out, I decided to take a few nature photos. It wasn\'t long before I spotted a couple of birds feeding on the ground that I had never in my life seen before :thumbup: They\'re kind of neat, because when they fly, you can see the yellow feathers that you wouldn\'t otherwise see, as they are hidden until they spread their wings. I got a few good shots of these unknown birds, and then went to try to find out what they were. After some research, I came to the conclusion that they were Northern Flickers, (Yellow Shafted). Apparently, they are from the woodpecker family, and are the only species of woodpecker that migrates. And, I guess there are also Red Shafted Northern Flickers, (they have red feathers that are hidden instead of the yellow ones on these birds). I don\'t know if these two migrated here, or if they\'re just passing through, but I\'ll sure be keeping an eye out for them now that I know they\'re here :thumbup:post-1204-139589303417_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589303416_thumb.jpgpost-1204-139589303416_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589303415_thumb.jpgpost-1204-139589303418_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589303418_thumb.jpgNow, if you get lucky enough to see some of these birds out and about, you\'ll know what they are, (if you didn\'t already ;) ).~SassyRed~

January 10th, 2012****************A Few Nature Photos from the Past Couple of Days...It\'s been so nice out the past few days, that I figured I\'d grab the camera and see what I could find that would hold still for me :thumbup:post-1204-139589303436_thumb.jpgThis one cracks me up :rofl:post-1204-139589303436_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589303437_thumb.jpgThis is my new camo, LOL!post-1204-139589303438_thumb.jpg Red-headed Woodpeckerpost-1204-139589303438_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589303439_thumb.jpg

A Few More...The sky made for such a pretty background!post-1204-13958930344_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958930344_thumb.jpg A Webster County Sunset - on Blueberry Hill, over-looking town:post-1204-139589303441_thumb.jpg The moon with a little over-cast:post-1204-139589303442_thumb.jpg It\'s raining...post-1204-139589303443_thumb.jpgOk, so this one isn\'t of nature, but I like it! It reminds me of the good \'ol days ;)post-1204-139589303442_thumb.jpgI took several photos this time, and these are just some of my favorites.Hope you enjoy,~SassyRed~

January 14th, 2012****************My \"If the Poop Hits the Fan\" GearSo, this snow and 0* wind chill weather we\'ve been having has made me realize that I never put my SHTF bag back in my truck since I finally got the clutch replaced. And, I figured that since I was going through my gear, re-organizing and what-not, I\'d go ahead and post some pics here. So, maybe those of you that don\'t have a bag, but want one, can get ideas from mine; and those of you that do have one, might have some advice to help me improve mine ;)Now, I\'m far from being any kind of survivalist, but I do feel that it\'s important to be prepared. I\'m not saying you need to have a dozen tote tubs full of gear in your vehicle, and sleep with 14 assault rifles and 3 bowie knives under your pillow like some of these hard-core folks do, but it never hurts to have a few things with you that might come in handy. My reasoning: I went on a 3 day back packing trip several years ago that was supposed to be 17 miles long, but turned into 21 miles; a few years ago, we had the big ice storm and I was without power for 5 days; I\'ve worked bad floods before where houses were flooded out by the lake only a mile from the house I lived in at the time; and last year, Joplin had the big tornado that I think put a real scare into everyone. So, here\'s what I carry in the winter in case I get stuck on the side of the road somewhere, and also what I carry \"just in case\". In my truck\'s tool box is:* Jumper Cables;* Tow Chains;* Tools;* Bungee Cords;* Ratchet Straps;* Several Fishing Poles and Tackle Boxes;* And, several other things that I probably don\'t even know are there.In the cab:* Extra pair of Coveralls in the Winter, (behind the seat);* Insulated Rubber Boots/Snake Boots, (depending on the time of year- behind the seat);* Work Gloves, Winter Gloves, and Stocking Cap, (in the glove box);* Rechargeable Streamlight Flashlight, (on the charger in the floor-board);* Bag of Change;* Pens/Paper;* Phone Charger;* Usually a long-gun and some ammo; and a* SHTF BagI keep my SHTF bag in my truck, as I spend a lot of time walking through the woods. On my walks, I take it with me so if I happen to fall or get hurt, and for whatever reason, my cell phone might not get service, I like to have that bag with me to have enough to get me by until someone comes looking for me :eye:On the Outside of My SHTF Bag:post-1204-139589303447_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589303448_thumb.jpg * Aluminum Water Bottle, (in the side pouch);* Canteen in a Thin AND a Thick Canteen Cover, (hooked to the side);* 3 Carabineers, (on the side loops - one with a keychain that has trout season dates on it); and a * 4 in 1 Whistle/Magnifying Glass/Thermometer/Compass, (hooked to the side).In the front compartment:post-1204-139589303449_thumb.jpg * 2 Flashlights, (the yellow one is waterproof);* 4 Pack of Sporks;* 2 Cheapo Rain Ponchos;* Boot Laces;* Hot Hands;* Cash in a Waterproof Bag;* Journal and Pen;* Salt/Pepper;* Knife Sharpener;* Cheapo Compass with a Real Shiny Case for Signaling;* Sun-block;* Hand-held GPS Unit;* Bag of Dryer Lint, (to use to start a fire);* Baggie of Trail Mix;* Emergency Blanket, (also good for signaling); and a* Remington Hunting Knife.In the Back Compartment:post-1204-13958930345_thumb.jpg * Bag Full of Goodies, (I\'ll explain in a second);* Bandana;* Tink\'s Foaming Hand Sanitizer, (needs NO water);* Husky Flashlight, (remember, 1 is none, and 2 is 1 ;) );* Pair of Gloves;* Old, small, 2-Sided Tackle Box, (containing hooks, line, sinkers, flies, lures, stringer, and some cheap disassembled broadheads that can be assembled and fastened to a stick to make a spear/gig);* Reflective Safety Vest;* Wind-Breaker/Rain Jacket;* Usually some Protein/Granola Bars, Beef Jerky, and Powdered Gatoraid - I need to get some more, (I usually break into it for lack of places/time to get something to eat when I\'m out-and-about - guess I need to stock up :hmmm: ).In the small, pink goodie bag:post-1204-139589303451_thumb.jpg * Waterproof Matches in a Waterproof Canister;* Tylenol;* Head Light with 2 Colors and 3 Settings, (it also had a magnet on the back);* Water Purification Tablets;* First Aid Kit;* Swiss Army-Type Knife;* Compass with Ruler and Magnifying Glass;* Multi-Tool;* Empty Produce Bag and Twist Tie, (to carry berries, etc.);* Magnesium Bar and Striker;* Hobo Knife; and a* Stringer.The First Aid Kit contains pretty normal stuff. There\'s also an army issue sewing kit, Light My Fire Fire Starter, Repel wipes with SPF 30, Chapstick, (good for chapped lips AND starting fires), and Fingernail Clippers with a knife and bottle opener in there to boot.post-1204-139589303451_thumb.jpg

SHTF Gear Continued... On my Person, (EDC):post-1204-139589303452_thumb.jpg * Either the Taurus or the Sig, (depending on the clothes I\'m wearing);* Ball Cap with a Fishing Hook on the Bill;* Pain Patch for my Back, (in my purse);* Monadnock Keychain with a Green LED Signal Light on it, (in my purse);* My Credentials;* Paracord Bracelet;* Disposable Toothbrush/Pick with Toothpaste already on it, (in my purse);* Paracord Keychain, (in my pocket);* Wrist Watch;* Buck 425 U Pocket Knife, (in my pocket - had it for about 18 years, and feel naked without it :P );* Uncle Henry 897UH Pocket Knife, (in my pocket - for peeling fruit);* Buck 290 Spring Assisted Pocket Knife, (in my pocket - does most of the work - I think I bought it in 2005 or 2006 - I\'ve used it as a hammer, dropped it SEVERAL times, left it outside in the weather, and constantly cut thick cardboard with it a couple of times a week; and it still continues to stay tight, and holds a GREAT edge - by far the best $35 I\'ve spent in a long time - I think they\'re up to around $70 now, though :thumbdown: );* Lighter;* Whistle/Magnifying Glass/Compass/Thermometer, (on my coat\'s zipper); and* Cell Phone with Apps for GPS and the Weather, (and my favorite website to pass the time :poke: ).post-1204-139589303453_thumb.jpgI hope this gives you all some ideas of what to carry!~SassyRed~