MoHuntress

SASSYRED (2011-2012)

60 posts in this topic

August 13th, 2011***************A few more...A doe and her twins in a neighboring hayfield. I wish we still rented the property those woods are on!post-1204-139589298594_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298595_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298596_thumb.jpgThis little guy was having troubles figuring out how to get back in his nest; in a tree by my dad\'s business. I couldn\'t reach far enough to put him back, & mama was watching me close. The next morning, he was sitting on a branch just below the nest, so apparently he didn\'t need my help after all :thumbup:post-1204-139589298597_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298599_thumb.jpg post-1204-1395892986_thumb.jpg

August 13th, 2011***************Carved Antler Necklaces:As I\'ve mentioned before, I\'m a firm believer that you should use every portion of your harvested animal that you possibly can. And, not too long ago, Moladihunter posted some pics of her antler jewelry here on SMO, and I just had to try that! So, I had a guy from Utah send me some Elk sheds, and I also picked up some beads made from bone, and buffalo horn. I thought these would make pretty cool gifts :thumbup: I made a few for some family members, and one guy my dad does business with even bought one from me :cool: The pics are pretty blurry, but here\'s what I\'ve done so far:I made this one for Dad. It has a turkey print, a deer print, and my family\'s \"Rocker Bar P\" Brand carved in it.post-1204-139589298601_thumb.jpg This one is for my brother, Justin. Growing up, all his buddies called him \"JP\", so I carved the \"JP\" logo he designed on his necklace.post-1204-139589298602_thumb.jpgI couldn\'t figure out how to fit a Peterbilt logo on there, so I made my brother, Jared this necklace with a deer print carved in it.post-1204-139589298603_thumb.jpgI carved an Indian \"Thunder-Bird\" into this one, and sold it :thumbup:post-1204-139589298604_thumb.jpgI\'ve got a couple more that I\'m working on for Mom; I\'ll post pics of those when they\'re done ;)

August 16th, 2011***************Got Some New Arrows!!!Last week, (after discussing my options with the members of SMO), I went to the local bow shop to get some new arrows. They said they\'d rather have me bring my bow in to make sure the length was correct, so that\'s just what I did. I went back today, and I picked up a dozen Gold Tips. Of course, I had to try them out as soon as I got home. I\'m not sure if my pins got bumped in the car, (it\'s in a soft case), or switching from aluminum to carbon made them shoot differently. Either way, I was shooting a little high with these new arrows. But, after some minor adjustments, I was back to hitting the bull\'s eye :thumbup: So far, I\'ve became pretty proficient at up to 35 yards.:cooldance:post-1204-139589298646_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298647_thumb.jpg

August 22nd, 2011**************Friendship Rock and Carved Antler NecklacesI figured since I had buffalo horn and bone beads, I\'d use them to make Mom a friendship rock necklace with. For those of you that aren\'t farmiliar with friendship rocks, it\'s a Girl Scout thing. Long story short, a friendship rock is a rock with a hole that goes all the way through it. The hole is a circle, and like frindship, a cicrle has no end. Also, these rocks, much like true friends, are fairly hard to find. When you do find one, you are to give it to a close friend. They wear it as a necklace, and no matter how far away you are, it is said to tug on the wearer\'s neck; reminding them that they have a friend that cares a great deal for them. They are also handy to use to attach an old 35mm film canister to, and use it to carry bandaids/personal 1st aid items with you. post-1204-139589298954_thumb.jpg And, although Mom doesn\'t hunt, she truley enjoys the outdoors, and wanted me to make her a necklace using a piece of elk antler. She wanted whatever I carved on it to \"mean\" something; so I finally came up with the idea of a turtle. She and I love turtles... it\'s kind of an obsession with us really :freak: So... I did some research, and come to find out, Indians believed that the turtle signifies a powerful woman. PERFECT!!! I just finished it, and haven\'t given it to her yet, but here\'s how it turned out:post-1204-139589298956_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298959_thumb.jpg

August 27th, 2011**************My First Bow ShootSaturday, the 27th, I entered my first bow shoot. This was just for fun - the points only counted on a few targets for different raffles. Anyway, I had no idea what I was doing or where I was supposed to go first, and the over 1500 people that were there made it a bit more confusing for me. At my first two targets, I made very poor shots. I can knock the center out of the target at home every time, but I never shoot very well when there are a ton of people watching me. However, after those first two targets, I slowed it down and began hitting the sweet spot. I actually hit the center, (12 points), several times, which really excited me! Then, I eneded up getting behind a young mom and her two sons that lost their arrows at every target. Bless their hearts; they were obviously having a ton of fun, but also taking a lot of time trying to find their arrows :duh:Since there were sooo many shooters, (and young\'ns taking forever searching for lost arrows), I only had enough time to shoot half the targets. At the end of it all, I shot 15 targets - with that, there were 160 points possible, and I scored 142. I was pretty happy with that! The hardest one for me was the alligator at the creek. Several people lost their arrows in the creek, and I actually hit his belly, so I guess I could\'ve done worse. I was a little flustered at first, but all-in-all, I had a pretty great time! And, I didn\'t think to take any pics, (I went by myself), so I\'ll have to remember to do that the next time ;)SassyRed

August 31st and September 7th, 2011*******************************Girl Scouts and Sand Dollars:For our first meeting of the year, (August 31st), Mom and I brought sand dollars, and taught the girls the meaning of the star, the five holes, the lily, and the doves inside this creature. They each painted a sand dollar, and also broke one open to see the doves. It was pretty neat to see their amazment when they learned of the significance of these dollars, and they all sure seamed real excited to go home and share all of this with their families :thumbup:Girl Scouts and Carved Antler Necklaces:Since the girls are in their first year of Jouniors this year, Mom and I decided to start working on earning patches asap. So, for our second meeting of the school year, (September 7th), we decided to start the girls out with working on their jewelry badge. One of the requirements for this badge is to make jewelry using natural materials, so we went with using elk antlers, (like I had made before).We had the girls draw whatever design they wanted on the bones, and had intended to let them do the carving themselves, as well. We currently have three girls in our troop; one drew a peace sign, and the other two drew their initials on their antler pieces. After having one girl, (my neice), try to do the carving portion of this, Mom and I decided that that part of it was probably too much for the girls, and could become a safety issue. So, while I carved their designs, they picked out what beads that wanted to use. They really liked the agate, (rock), beads we had, but unfortunatly, the holes were too small for the leather cord. So, they all ended up choosing to use black and/or white hair-pipe beads. They also colored their designs so that they would stand out more.They were all so excited about having necklaces made from antlers that they had designed/made themselves, that they just couldn\'t wait to wear them to school the next day to show them off to their friends and teachers. And, I\'m so glad they enjoyed this! It\'s such a great feeling to share my interests with youth. And, it\'s awesome that the outdoors is such a big part of Girl Scouting, and that we can incorporate the outdoors through crafts like this into our regular meetings :thumbup::clap: SassyRedpost-1204-139589299554_thumb.jpg

September 15th, 2011******************Opening Day of Bow SeasonWell, there\'s not much to report for round one. Dad and I headed out for the woods bright and early. It was sure cold and windy up there in the buddy stand, but we weren\'t going to let that get in our way! I tried making a few social grunts, and later, a few fawn bleats, but didn\'t have any luck. We sat there until around 9:30am., and never saw a thing. Dad had to be at work at 10:30, so we went ahead and packed it up. After we stopped for breakfast, Dad decided he needed my help at his business, so I didn\'t get back in the stand until around 4pm. And, he started getting the flu, so I was on my own for the evening hunt. I stayed until dark, and only saw a stray cat :freak: I did, however, hear a bobcat; but it never did show it\'s self. I didn\'t get to use my tag, but hearing Dad tell his buddies how much he enjoys going with me was well worth sitting in the blowing wind!The 16th, I didn\'t wake up in time to hunt in the morning, but I did find Dad a crossbow at a garage sale, so it wasn\'t a total loss :thumbup: And, I had to help Dad that evening, so I didn\'t get to hunt then either. Yesterday, it was pourning. We ended up getting 1 1/2\" of rain, so I\'m kind of glad I didn\'t go yesterday. But, if the rain decides to stop sometime today, I\'ll try to get one this evening :D

September 28th, 2011******************More Carved Elk Antler JewelryOne day last week, I was stuck at home waiting on the handy-man to get done, so I decided to make a few more necklaces. I sold one at Dad\'s auction on Friday. Then on Saturday, I went to the Fordland Swap Meet to sell some traps, and decided to take a few necklaces along. Of course, most of the folks there were more interested in spending their money on my traps, rather than my necklaces; but I had a great time talking to all the seasoned, as well as the new, trappers. I even met a lady wearing a painted Elk antler burr necklace that she had made several decades ago. She said that when she was young, (she\'s now at least in her 80\'s), she moved out West for a few years to get away from everything. She said she went out there on her own, met an old prospector across the river from her, and he willed her his boat. She said she made her living trapping along that river. She\'s obviously very self-reliant, and it was sure a pleasure to get to listen to her stories!After the swap meet, my family and I went to the Fair Grove Heritage Festival. We went both Saturday and Sunday, and that got me all pumped up to make more antler necklaces - so I can possibly rent a booth for next year\'s Festival.Here are the necklaces that I made this past week:ZUNI BEARpost-1204-139589300257_thumb.jpgARROW HEADpost-1204-139589300259_thumb.jpgDEER TRACKpost-1204-139589300261_thumb.jpg NATIVE AMERICAN THUNDER-BIRDpost-1204-139589300264_thumb.jpg TURKEY TRACKpost-1204-139589300266_thumb.jpgWOLF TRACKpost-1204-139589300268_thumb.jpg

October 7th, 2011**************Wonders of Wildlife School - Roaring River State Park: Day 1Mom and I have been looking forward to this weekend for the past year, and it\'s finally here! If you\'re not farmiliar with the W.O.W. School, they put on outdoor recreation and conservation classes at Roaring River State Park in Cassville, MO every October, (as well as in other areas), and you should really look into it! Mom has been here several times, but this was my first time. So when we got there, and got all checked in, we had just enough time to check out our cabin. It was pretty darn cool to get to stay in a fully furnished cabin right there on the water all weekend! Then, after we made a pit stop at the park, we headed to our first class, where we got to learn how to make baskets out of tall grass. That class was a lot of fun, and we\'re actually STILL working on our baskets... right now they\'re about the size of coasters :P But anyway, after we got done with that class, we took a walk down to the hatchery. It was then that we realized that we had forgot our fishing gear at home :duh: But it was a beautiful area to take a stroll down anyway! As we were walking, we were keeping a close eye out for friendship rocks along the river-bed. We found several, and the next thing I knew, I had found an arrow head that had been started on one side, but was never finished! It was the first arrow head I had ever found, so that was really cool! We also came across this really cool tree, (see photos). Then, it started getting dark, so we didn\'t get to go to the cave like we had planned, but we needed to get rested up for tomarrow\'s adventures anyway; so we headed back to the cabin, and Mom fixed us some home-made chicken and noodles, and we worked on our baskets until bed time... post-1204-139589300403_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300406_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300409_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300412_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300415_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300418_thumb.jpg

October 8th, 2011**************Wonders of Wildlife School - Roaring River State Park: Day 2Today, Mom and I took a class on Bird Hunting. We met the other particiapants, as well as the instructor at the main building at the State Park. Before we headed to 4-B\'s Hunting Resort, the instructor\'s wife made the comment that her husband was very strict, and that he takes her gun away when she misses and won\'t let her shoot any more... a red flag went up in my head when she said that, but I kept my mouth shut. When we got there, we got to look around in the lodge, and I just knew I was going to love it there! Then, the owners of the resort asked us all to come outside so we could practice shooting clays. The other particiapants decided that I needed to shoot first, which I sure didn\'t have a problem with! The owner handed me three shells, and I busted 2/3 clays. After that, the instructor decided that he needed to \"help\" everyone. He was supposed to teach us about different shells/chokes you use for different birds, etc., but he never did. When he began \"helping\", everyone\'s moral dropped, and no one could hit their clays. He was very condescending, and yelled at everyone. And, Dad had sent Mom with his 28 ga, and before we remembered our shells were in the car, the instructor said he didn\'t have 28ga shells, but tried to hand Mom some that \"might work\". So, I ran and got our shells from the car, and asked the owner of the preserve to help Mom so that the instructor wouldn\'t teach her bad habits; but he had to get his 2 cents in anyway! He had her holding the butt of the gun in her armpit, rather than shouldering it! He also made her wear super scratched up safety glasses over her own so that she couldn\'t even see. She doesn\'t shoot often, but when she does, she\'s a sure shot! But this guy had her doing all the wrong things, and she couldn\'t hit anything, (and neither could anyone else). Then, Mom wanted to try my gun, & the yahoo instructor loaded it for her. She specifically told him that it was a 12 ga - he loaded it - she shot - & it made a really weird noise. The instructor insisted it was a dud shell. The owner of the resort picked the shell up off the ground that had fell from the barrell & said \"no wonder\". So I ran up to the instructor & asked, \"you do know that\'s a 12 ga\"? Yea, he had put a 20ga shell in it. That really got my goat, but luckily he left Mom and I alone after he did that, and we didn\'t have to deal with him much more. Anyway, the owner\'s there were so nice, that they turned everything around and made the day enjoyable for the rest of us. They had everyone shoot until they were succesful, even though the instructor didn\'t see any point in that. Then, after we all shot a few times, the resort fed us some Mexican Chuckar Casserole, and home-made crackers. It\'s was delicious! When we got done eating, we went out to the field, and got to hunt in groups of two. The first time I went out, I winged two birds, and the guy I was teamed up with finished them off. Then later, I got to hunt with Mom. We were hunting chuckar, but the dog jumped a quail - too bad it was so far off, because they were going to let me shoot it, too :( But, we all went home with chuckars, and the resort was nice enough to show us how to clean them, too. I can\'t wait to go back to the 4 B\'s with the rest of my family - without an instructor that\'s full of himself! The best part was, every time they\'d get a new dog out of their boxes, the dogs would go straight over to the instructor and \"wet\" his shoes :laughcry:After we left there, we went back to our cabin and worked on our baskets some more, then went and took a walk at the park, and then it was time for the cookout with all of the other W.O.W. participants. That was a lot of fun! We ran in to the folks we went hunting with, and all they talked about was how bad the instuctor made them feel - BUT they all still enjoyed hunting, and wanted to do it again - thanks to the 4 B\'s staff! Anyway, there, they served us catfish, a bunch of sides, and cobbler. Then they had a silent auction, where I got a new shotgun shell pouch, (so that I can make sure no one loads my gun with the wrong ammo :P). Then we headed back to the cabin to get ready for the next day! post-1204-139589300426_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300429_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300432_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300435_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300438_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589300441_thumb.jpg

October 9th & 10th, 2011*******************W.O.W. - Roaring River: Day 3On our third day, we were supposed to take a stroll through the river - learning about the aquatic life. But, Mom and I were both wore out, and we had to leave early to pick Dad up from a men\'s encounter a couple of hours away, so we just hung out at the park, checked out the Park\'s store, and went and picked up a Roaring River State Park medallion for my hiking stick at the Nature Center, (which was pretty cool - the Nature Center, I mean). When we checked out, they gave us a deck of wildlife playing cards, and CD of hunting-type songs, and I thought that was pretty cool. Over-all we had a pretty great weekend together! I can\'t wait to come back next year, and hopefully the whole family can go together :thumbup:The next day, we decided to cook our chuckars. Mom fried one of them in the skillet, and I used the rest to make the Mexican Chuckar Casserole like we had had at the hunt. The only difference, was ours had shot in it :duh:I was going to take a picture of the meal, but we ate it too fast, lol! BUT, here\'s the recipe if you\'d like to try it:Mix 1 can of cream of chicken, 1 can of cream of mushroom, 1 can of rotel tomatos, 1 packet of onion soup mix, and 2-3 birds, (or other meat). Place in a casserole dish. Top with a 1/4\" block of melted velveeta, and then 1/2 bag of crushed Nacho Doritos, (I also spread some shredded cheese on top of that, but that wasn\'t part of the recipe). Bake at 375* for 45 minutes.That made enough for four of us to have seconds, and we still had half of it left over for the next night!Hope you enjoy,SassyRed

October 24th, 2011***************Friend\'s of NRA Banquet - Marshfield, MOI didn\'t have much money to spend this year, but I sure wasn\'t going to miss out on all of the fun! This year, a lot of well-to-do business owners, as well a few local and state politicians showed up; which is a good thing - I think... Anyway, I spent all the money I had to spend on raffles, and left empty handed; but I\'d have to say that it was well worth it! And, if I get a chance to go to another banquet this year, I\'m going to try to bid on one of those NRA toasters - it actually burns the NRA logo onto the bread! They also had a really cool shadow box-type picture in their auction that I wouldn\'t mind having. It had a re-print of one of the news paper clippings about John Dillinger, a re-print of his wanted poster, a patch from the Lake County, Indiana Sheriff\'s Department, and an empty shell casings AND spent bullet that the Friend\'s of the NRA Chairman actually shot out the Tommy Gun that Dillinger made famous. Now, wouldn\'t that look good on my wall - right in between the shadow box of all of my law enforcement accomplishments, and the picture of my great uncle standing beside his patrol car? I think so But anyhow, I had a great time! There was wonderful food, wonderful company, and most importantly, it was for a wonderful cause! If you\'ve never attended one of these events, I strongly recommend going sometime! It\'s surely a lot of fun!Here\'s a pic of the NRA toaster I found online :thumbup:post-1204-13958930274_thumb.jpg~SassyRed~

October 29th, 2011***************Ladies Only Handgun HauntThe Women\'s Recreational Shooting Association and Ozark Shooters Sports Complex teamed up again to put on another shooting competition to benefit the Shriner\'s Children\'s Hospital. This time, it was a handgun shoot - using .38\'s and .22\'s. This was my first handgun competition, so I was a little nervous. There were four stations, and the first station had steel knock-down targets using .38 revolvers. There were five targets, and one bonus target that was a clay about the size of a silver dollar at about 30 or so yards out. I told the judge that I wasn\'t very good in a competition frame-of-mind, and that he needed to run out there and kick the targets over that I missed :roll: But, much to my surprise, I hit all five, as well as the bonus target. The judge called me a liar, but I still got a trick or treat bag for making a clean run :cheers:At the second station, there were ten clays attached to some chicken wire in a circle, as well as the same type of bonus target. At this station, we used .22 revolvers. I hit 7/10 of those, and was so flustered that I had missed the three, that I missed the bonus target, too :thumbdown: So, I headed to the third station - which consisted of smaller knock-down targets a little further away than the ones in the first station, as well as the bonus target. There, we used .22 semi-autos. I tell ya what... if that would\'ve been a timed event, I\'m pretty sure I would\'ve won! I knocked down all ten targets, as well as the bonus clay! Again, I got another trick or treat bag for making a clean run :clap:Now, for the fourth and final stage... everyone was having issues with this stage, so I didn\'t figured I\'d do very well at it, either. This station had ten pop cans - five about 20 yards out, five about 35 yards out, and the tiny clay bonus target at about 30 yards out. Here, we used .38 revolvers again. My first shot was a dud round, but I kept on... I was so proud of myself at first - I had hit all five of the close targets, and the majority of the other shooters were doing good to get a total of three hits on that station. Anyhow, I missed the third far target, so I decided to go straight for the bonus target - missed it, and the other two regular targets, as well. I ended up hitting 7/10 targets at that station, and was kind of disappointed in myself :( So, I ended up with a score of 38; which was decent, but I feel I should’ve done better. Next, we had a big lunch: home-made chicken and noodles, broccoli cornbread, green beans, and several different kinds of cookies for dessert. It was delicious, and I had a good time getting to know some of the other ladies that where there. I even ran into the guy from Texas that helped me out at the sporting clays event earlier in the year. Anyhow, after that, we did raffles, a silent auction, and then prizes. During the raffles, I won a nice blouse that I gave to Mom, a $25 bank card, (that the bank forgot to load – embarrassing moment at the gas station to say the least), and purple camo paracord survival keychain. In the auction, I won a gift certificate for a CCW class that I gave to my brother. And now for prizes… drum roll please… I ended up placing 5th in Class A – I guess I didn’t do as bad as I thought, (still have plenty of room for improvement, though)! My prize for that was a paper revolver for a trophy, and a really nice, Italian made shooting vest – and it’s even small enough to fit me! I have such a great time as these events! I’d have to say that the handgun event has been my favorite so far, and I can’t wait to do it again next year! post-1204-139589301698_thumb.jpg

November 12th, 2011*****************Opening Day of Firearms Deer SeasonDad and I made it to the blind at about 0620. The moon was still full, so it was already pretty light out. At about 0800, I spotted a real good sized buck about 90 yards to the East. I couldn\'t tell how many points he had, but he was defiantly a shooter! He didn\'t stay there very long, and because of the thick brush, all I could\'ve got a shot at was his neck. I wasn\'t comfortable with a neck shot, so we let him pass. While I was texting my brother to tell him to keep an eye out for this buck, another one showed up on the same trail - in the same spot that that I had seen the big buck at. He didn\'t look like he had many points, but he had a real tall rack. He didn\'t stick around either. Both those bucks were headed north, so I gave my brother the heads up since his stand was to the north/east of us. He texted back and said that he saw the big one and a doe come out of the woods right under my stand, but never saw the smaller buck. He said they were moving on, and didn\'t get a shot at either of them. I was really kicking myself for not sitting in my stand after I read that :duh:At about 10am, Dad and I left the woods to go grab some breakfast. The only person at that little dinner that got to use their tag was a 10 year old little boy. He bagged himself a small 10 point. That was enough to get our adrenaline up, so we headed back to the woods. When we got all settled back in to the blind, my other brother walked through the woods, (across the field from where Dad and I were), hoping to push something towards us. All of a sudden, I saw a doe about 50 yards east of us, on the other side of the pond, running as hard as she could through the woods. I thought that was pretty odd, then something caught my eye off to the North. NOTE: Our blind is on the edge of an old logging-type road. We mostly watch the woods and pond in front of us, but I can also see a portion of my oldest brother\'s field from there, that\'s to the North of us. So, anyway... what caught my eye was a pickup that I\'d never seen before. I texted both my brothers and asked if they knew that someone was driving through their fields, and apparently some guy that knows my oldest brother needed to borrow some money, and thought that the best was to get it would be to drive through the field on opening day - right up to my brother\'s tree stand :duh::duh::duh: Talk about aggravating! That nonsense about made us all decided to leave and call it a day, but we stayed anyway. I\'m glad we did, because right before dark, I spotted a doe on the other side of the fence, (on the neighbor\'s land). Shortly thereafter, a spike with lobster claws on both sides showed up. Dad sprayed some buck bomb, and I hit the grunt call. We had him coming in on a string, and then all of a sudden he took off. Another doe had showed up, and he was way more interested in chasing her around than paying attention to our calls/lures. He\'d get about 30 yards from us, and then take off after that doe again. I couldn\'t get a shot off from my side of the blind, and Dad couldn\'t see him well enough, so we decided to just wait for something big. Then right at dark, we saw that same doe and spike playing on the other side of the fence - on the neighbor\'s land. Then, pretty soon, we heard a shot that sounded really close. I was hoping it was from my 17 year old neice - she came out for the evening hunt and sat with my oldest brother, (her dad). No one would answer my texts, so we decided to just pack it up, because it was getting pretty dark anyway. So, on our walk back, my niece pulled up in the truck and said to get in. I guess a doe came out right at dark by their stand. She was on the wrong side of the stand for my niece to get a shot off, so my brother took her. We didn\'t get any pics, but well, you\'ve all seen does before anyhow.Dad and I left empty handed, but we all had a great time together. And, that was the first time I\'d ever seen a buck chase a doe that close, so that was pretty cool! And, my niece got to be there to see her dad take a doe, and that was all worth it!SassyRed

November 13th, 2011*****************Firearms Deer Season: Round TwoWell, there\'s not much to report for today. Dad and I made it to the blind around 0620, and stayed until around 1030. We didn\'t see anything all morning, and decided to go get some lunch. We came back, and sat there until around 3pm. At that time, Dad decided that he wanted to go try out my brother\'s tower stand down in the back 40. So he left to go do that, and I stayed in the blind. I had a wasp try to get in there with me, and then had a bee chase me out of the blind twice. Then, I kept hearing something rustling in the leaves right beside me... yea, it was a turtle. All that excitement, and it was just a noisy turtle right outside of my blind\'s window :freak:post-1204-13958930231_thumb.jpgA little while later, my youngest brother came walking by, asking where Dad was. He said he was going to go sit on past Dad, and that they\'d see me after dark. Apparently he talked Dad into letting him sit in the tower stand, because it wasn\'t long before he texted me this pic :roll:post-1204-139589302309_thumb.jpgWell, no one used any tags on day two, but it was fun just being out in the middle of God\'s country anyway!SassyRed

November 14th, 2011*****************Firearms Deer Season: Day ThreeWell, I had to wait ALL DAY for the tow truck guy to come to take my truck to the shop, so I didn\'t get to hunt at all today. BUT, here\'s a pic my oldest brother, Jared, texted me after his evening hunt:post-1204-139589302736_thumb.jpgI was so mad! I should\'ve been out there instead waiting around all day! Then... I get this second pic from my brother. Come to find out, he had taken a shed and held it onto his buck\'s head to make him look bigger... no wonder the first pic was so blury :poke: Apparently, this buck had been in a fight or something, as he only had the one side of his antlers left. Still pretty cool, though :thumbup:post-1204-139589302738_thumb.jpg SassyRed

November 15th, 2011******************Firearms Deer Season: Day FourI was pretty busy this morning, so I didn\'t get out to my stand until around 3pm. There\'s really not much to report for this evening\'s hunt; I sat in my stand from 3pm until dark, and this is all I saw:post-1204-139589302311_thumb.jpgThis owl sat there staring me down for quite a while. When I hit the grunt call, he took off and found another tree about 100 yards north of me to sit in. That was my excitement for round four. Hopefully I\'ll be posting pics of a deer on the ground pretty soon ;)November 21st, 2011******************My Brother Justin\'s November Velvet Buck:My brother shot this buck on the 21st of this month. He asked a conservation agent about the velvet, and was told that this buck stays in velvet - it won\'t rub off? Now, that\'s crazy :freak::puzzled:post-1204-139589302739_thumb.jpg~SassyRed~

December 22nd, 2011******************Deer Vs. PitbullI had went to pick Dad up from work, and we took the dirt road home as a short-cut. Just as the black top turned to gravel, I noticed three flashes of white take off from the woods into the field in front of us. They were acting aweful wierd - running in circles and not knowing where to go - so I took my time as we continued to drive, thinking they were headed straight for the road. We got a little closer, and I noticed the big, white pit bull that runs the neighborhood, hauling butt out of the woods towards the deer. We stayed there for a few minutes, and the deer just stood there looking at us. We must have spooked the dog by sitting there fairly close to the deer, because he left the deer alone as soon as he spotted us. I think that doe and her twins were still pretty shook up, as they just stood there even after we drove off. I\'m sure glad we decided to take that road home, otherwise that dog may have caught up with one of those young deer :thumbup:I tried to take a pic with my phone, but it makes it look small, and further away than what we were. Hopefully, you can still make the deer out! post-1204-139589302603_thumb.jpg