MoHuntress

SASSYRED (2011-2012)

60 posts in this topic

Thanks for joining and good luck! Please send your blog submissions to the following email address, along with your SMO username... smochallengeblog@gmail.com :thumbup:

January 20, 2011Hey, all. Now, I\'m not much on cold weather, but I just can\'t seem to resist taking pictures of the wildlife when there\'s a blanket of snow on the ground. Every time it snows, I throw out some bird seed, crackers, and bread crumbs for the birds and squirrels that inhabit our yard. Not only does it give them something to eat, but it gives me the opportunity to watch them dance around in the snow, and if I\'m lucky, snap a few good pictures of them. It\'s a win-win! I hope you enjoy these photos as much as I did taking them! SassyRed

post-15-139589291653_thumb.jpg

post-15-139589291654_thumb.jpg

post-15-139589291655_thumb.jpg

Submitted: Feb. 9th, 2011*************************************HOW TO: Make Your Own Wingbone Turkey CallI’ve always felt that when you harvest an animal, it’s your duty to use every portion of the wild game you possibly can. I think the Indians did this as a way to honor the animal. That being said, I’m going to show you how to take the wing bones from a turkey, and turn them into a turkey call, ( ironic isn’t it?). Bear with me though, as this is my first time making these calls. PREPERATION: Since thunder chicken season isn’t for a couple of months, I can’t “show” you how to remove the bones. I’ll go ahead and tell you how, though: After you’ve legally taken your bird, plucked it, and separated the wings from the bird’s body - take a sharp knife and remove the three bones that were closest to the birds body, (one is large – like a shoulder bone, and the other two run parallel to each other). Next, boil the three bones until all the excess meat is off. Once that is done, place the bones in a sauce pan, cover them with water, and add about half a cup of hydrogen peroxide. Bring this to a boil, (this whitens the bones). Boil for about five minutes or so, remove, drain, rinse, cover with water, add a little baking soda, and let sit overnight. The next day: drain, rinse, and dry ‘em off. They should look like those in Photo #1. Now, you’ll want to cut the ends off of your bones. I use a dremel tool, (see Photo #2). Next, take a pipe cleaner/knife/dremel tool and get as much of the marrow out as you can. ASSEMBLY Now for putting it together: The biggest bone goes on the bottom, (it kind of serves as the “horn” end), then the mid-sized bone, then the small one. More than likely, they’re not a perfect fit, so you may have to take out the dremel tool again to make all the pieces fit properly. Once they fit how you like them, attach them together with super glue, (the kind that gives you a little time before it dries). I use the super glue to hold the bones in place until I’m ready for the next step; you may choose to bypass this. Next, take some epoxy/plumber’s putty, and seal the joints; as shown in Photo #3. Use your fingers to smooth out the putty, and make sure the joints are fully covered to ensure a nice sound. Now, prop it up against something, and let it dry for about forty-five minutes, or as directed on the putty’s package. DECORATING Once the putty has dried, you can begin decorating your call. This part is totally up to your creative impulses. I like to use my dremel to kind of “scallop” the “horn” end. You can see this in Photo #4. I also like to wrap leather over the putty. You can also use thread, paint, etc., but I like a more primitive look; so I use leather straps. You can also paint/draw designs on your call, if you so wish. Then there are the lanyards. A lanyard can simply be tied to the middle of your call. Since I chose to make my first call for my dad, he suggested that I drill a hole in the “horn” end to use for one end of the lanyard, (see Photo #5). Also in Photo #5, you can see that I used a bead as a stopper. You can use beads, feathers, etc. to make your call your own – the sky’s the limit when it comes to decorating! Also, I spray three coats of clear on my calls. If you choose to do this, DO NOT get too close to your call if you have painted/drawn on it – it WILL remove your art work, and you’ll have to wipe the rest of it off and re-do it. FINISHED PRODUCT Photo #6 is of my first two calls – both of which, I made tonight. The one on the left is for Dad – my huntin’ buddy, and the one on the right is for my grandma’s cousin, (a very admirable man). You can use these to get ideas from. Well, that’s it. Why just keep the beard, spurs, and fan as your trophies this year? Making this call is a great way to not only remember the bird you harvested, but also to call one in next time! Enjoy, SassyRed

post-15-139589293173_thumb.jpg

post-15-139589293174_thumb.jpg

post-15-139589293174_thumb.jpg

post-15-139589293175_thumb.jpg

post-15-139589293175_thumb.jpg

post-15-139589293176_thumb.jpg

Feb. 27th, 2011 Another Turkey Call Hey, all. I figured with spring turkey season fast approaching, I would try to make some different types of calls. I really enjoy making the wing bone calls, and decided to try my hand at a friction call. My dad chews, so I thought why not use one of his empty cans as a pot. I\'m still playing around with different types of material, (the thickness of glass I used on this one doesn\'t produce the sound I was hoping for), but I think I\'ll have it down in no time. As soon as I find the material I like, I\'m going to try to make one from one of the many turtle shells that I always seem to bring back with me when I stroll through the woods. In the meantime, Happy Hunting! SassyRed

post-15-139589293985_thumb.jpg

March 2nd, 2011*************Girl Scout Window GardensI\'m a co-leader for my niece\'s Brownie Girl Scout troop, and last year we began participating with MDC\'s Conservation Frontiers Program. The girls get points for different outdoor-related activities they do, and when they get enough points, they earn prizes, (this also helps them earn badges). So, for today\'s meeting, we made \"Window Gardens\". They took plastic sheets that ball cards would go in, and planted different types of flowers in them. They seemed very excited to get to play in the dirt! We attatched suction cups to the plastic sleeves, so that they can be hung on windows for the sun to shine in on. They really had a blast making their gardens, so hopefully in a week or so, they\'ll have flowers.Next week\'s project... build a bird house!!! post-1204-139589294163_thumb.jpg

March 7th, 2011*************Choke Tube ReviewI\'ve been in the market for a new choke tube for my turkey gun, and a fella from the local gun shop told me that I needed to try the \"Under Taker\" super full turkey choke made by Hunter\'s Specialties, (which is... you guessed it... made in the USA). Since that shop didn\'t have any, I made my way up to Bass Pro today and picked one up for a modest $20.As soon as I got home, I grabbed the Charles Daly 20ga. and headed to the farm. Naturally, I didn\'t pay attention to the box of shells I grabbed, and accidently brought my dove loads. I shot at 20, 30, and 40 yards, (this choke tube is supposed to be consistant up to 90% at 40yds). I was very impressed with difference this choke tube made compared to the modified choke the gun came with! I\'m sure with Winchester #6 turkey loads, (rather than the dove loads I so foolishly brought), it will pattern even better!As of today, there\'s only six weeks to go until Spring Turkey Season, and I\'m chomping at the bit to put my new \"Under Taker\" to use. I do intened to pattern it with turkey loads, but I\'m pretty confident that this new set up will get the job done this spring :thumbup:~SassyRed~post-1204-139589294517_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589294518_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589294519_thumb.jpg

March 12th, 2011**************Rogersville Strutters\' NWTF Turkey ShootToday, I went to my first ever Turkey Shoot, (which was also the first time I\'ve ever shot competitively at all). Let me tell ya, I had a BLAST!!! I got there, and of course, 98% of the shooters were men, all of which were shooting high dollar 12 gauges. That being said, I really didn\'t figure I\'d win anything with my little Charles Daly 20ga.; especially shooting at 40 yards against eleven other shooters! BUT, I surpised myself! I entered six times, and won three turkeys :cool: Everyone there was exteremly nice/helpful, and I left there with more friends than I started with. The judge said that there was only one other gun there that shot as tight a pattern as mine did, so I\'ll be pretty confident shooting it this spring turkey season! [file]18677[/file] post-1204-139589294667_thumb.jpg

March 25th, 2011**************Marshfield Full Strutters\' NWTF BanquetWell, I went to my first NWTF banquet tonight. I spent more money than I had to spend, but it was a lot of fun! They had some great sponsors that donated some really neat things to the raffles and auctions. Unfortunatley, I didn\'t win anything, but the food and comradery was well worth it! The guy that irrigates my family\'s farm was there, and he said that he\'s been seeing groups of 50 - 100 turkeys in the area where I do most of my hunting :thumbup: (I just hope they stay there for a few more weeks)!This was the second NWTF event I have been to, and I\'m certain that I want to become more involved with this great group of people! It\'s pretty cool to spend time with other outdoorsmen/women that have the same interest and goals that I do! post-1204-139589302741_thumb.png~SassyRed~

April 16th, 2011*************Another Turkey ShootWell, one of our local churches put on a turkey shoot today. I showed up in time to shoot four times. The wind was blowing so bad I could hardly hold my gun still. I didn\'t win any this time, but I did come 1/16\" from the winner twice; close, but no cigar :thumbdown: The judge wanted us to do a shoot off both times, but we were out-voted on that idea. I did, however, win a door prize: women\'s fingerless gloves for working out :puzzled: Non-the-less, it got me all geared up for Monday!!!Sorry, I didn\'t take any pics today, (unless you want to see my snazy new gloves :roll:)SassyRed

April 18th, 2011*************Spring Turkey Season: Day 1Dad and I made it to the woods at about 0600. We saw three deer cross into the family farm\'s woods just as we were pulling into the drive. As soon as I stepped out of the car, a humming bird decided it would try to eat my hair, (that tends to happen a lot with me :duh:). We got to our spot, set the decoys up, and got all settled in the blind, and I kept hearing something trying to get in. Low and behold, it got in. The next thing I knew, I had a little field mouse crawling up my leg :thumbdown: I finally got it through his head that he did not need to be my friend right now, and then it happened... several birds started gobbling just to the South of us. I then started hearing something walking through the grass, getting closer and closer. I got all excited; ready to put the smack down on a big thunder chicken! Yea, it was a opposum. After he finally left, some of the gobbles sounded as if they were getting closer, while others sounded like they were going further South. We heard a few gun shots, a few more gobbles, and then... nothing. I got out of the blind, and decided to do a little runnin\' and gunnin\'. That didn\'t work either. I did see a ton of deer sign, however :cool: After a while, I went back to the blind. Still, no luck.The only turkey I saw all day was a hen in a neighbor\'s field as we were driving away. This is the first year I haven\'t seen several/any birds on the bottom forty on opening day. Of course, as soon as we left, my brother advised me that there were two big \'ol toms in his yard, (by my car), when he left for work this morning :duh: Oh, well. We\'ve still got three weeks to bag one!

April 19th, 2011*************Spring Turkey Season: Day 2Well, I wasn\'t planning on hunting today, but since I woke up at 5am, I figured: why not? I woke up to a text message from my brother saying, if you want a turkey, sit at \"the big oak tree\". This tree is at the North edge of what my grandmother always referred to as \"the calf lot\", (a patch of woods), and is South of a corn field. Since my brother has been seeing several large flocks of turkeys there all throughout the day, every day, I thought sitting there would be a pretty good game plan.Just before I made it to the driveway, I passed by about a dozen deer crossing from my brother\'s woods, and going into the neighbor\'s field. Funny, they\'re never there when I have deer tags in my pocket. Oh, well. Such is life. At any rate, I got to the woods at about 0600. I got all set up at my strategically chosen hunting spot, blew on the ol\' owl hooter, and... nothing. Hit the box call... nothing. Whipped out a mouth call... possibly a hen cackling back at me, but the wind was so harsh it was too hard to tell what the sound was, or even what direction it came from. At about 0730, I had to stand up to stretch my back, and when I did, I spotted a lone hen at about 80 yards away from me. I hit the mouth call; she looked right at me, and then went on like I wasn\'t even there. She\'s the only turkey I saw all day.Since I had to be at physical therapy soon, I started making my way to the car. On my walk there, I stumbled upon three different box turtles. Perhaps if I weren\'t so enthralled with turtles, I may have seen more turkeys :freak:post-1204-139589295586_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589295587_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589295588_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589295588_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589295589_thumb.jpg

April 30th, 2011************Let Your Luck Ride: 12th Annual Women\'s Charity Shotgun Event to benefit the Shriners Hospital for Children.Today, I entered my first ever Sporting Clays competition. I\'ve never even seen anyone shoot sporting clays, but I thought I just had to give it a try. When I got there, I was a little intimidated, as there were several ladies that had drove in from different states, carrying guns that probably cost more than every gun I have put together. So, I told the lady in charge that I was completley new to this, so she teamed me up with two ladies from Texas that have done it all their lives, and two local ladies that were new to the sport like me. Lucky for me, one of the Texas ladies\' husband was a Level 1 Sporting Clays Instructor, and MORE than willing to teach me the ropes :thumbup: At the first few stations, I was doing good to break just one target. Then Mark, (the TX instructor), noticed my belt buckle. After that, he started comparing the clays to calves/steers, telling me to rope this one\'s beak with my shotgun, rope the left horn, or rope it\'s feet, etc. By the end of the course, I was shooting five out of six clays instead of just one or two :cool: And, for some reason, I was better with the hard ones, (strait up or strait down), than I was with the easy ones :freak: Oh, and a news paper reporter came up to me after he had taken a few pics, and said, \"I understand this is your first time shooting clays\". So, apparently someone had told him about me, and now I\'m going to be in the Branson news paper :DAnywho, after shooting, we had a luncheon, followed by door prizes, a derby hat contest, raffles, silent auction, and prizes for shooting. Since this shoot was to raise money for the Shriner\'s, and was for fun, everyone walked away with something. They scored us using the Lewis system, (which I still don\'t understand). There were five classes: AA, A, B, C, and D. I shot 20/50, (not great, but not bad for my first time - and it wasn\'t much less than some of the \"pros\"). I tied with three other ladies, but I guess in the Lewis scoring, there are no ties, so my name was on the bottom for all the 20\'s. So... I ended up placing 6th in C. I got a paper trophy and a tin sign with ducks on it that says, \"Welcome to the Quack Shack\", (almost as cool as the ball cap we got in our goody bags).I had such a great time, and met sooo many great people, that I just can\'t wait to do it all again!!! Fifty rounds is all it took; I\'m officially addicted :thumbup: And, as soon as I get a hold of a Branson Paper, I\'ll post the pics :smilebig:SassyRed

May 25th, 2011************Last Girl Scout Meeting of the School Year...Well, today was our last Brownie meeting. In the coming weeks, our four members will bridge into Jouniors. So... for our last meeting of the school year, we decided to go to a local park and pick out the perfect spot to have our bridging ceremony. We got there, and hit the trail all excited. Along the way, the girls spotted some honey suckle. They knew you could \"eat\" it, but didn\'t quite know how... so of course, I show them how. They were just in awe over that :thumbup: Anyway, we finally found a bridge that everyone agreed on, as well as a great place to hang the bird house they made, (which we will hang as part of our bridging ceremony). We then ended our meeting at Pizza Hut, and the girls said that they can\'t wait to go camping with the troop this summer! To be honest, I can\'t wait either :smilebig:post-1204-13958929644_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589296441_thumb.jpg

May 28th, 2011************6th Annual Shoot Out for AutismToday, I made another trip down to Walnut Shade for another sporting clays event. There were 107 shooters, so they split us up into two flights; one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Since I didn\'t shoot until 1pm., I took advantage of the lunch they had provided us. I got my food, and sat across from a man at the next table that I was sure I knew. And, I think he caught me staring at him several times :sulkoff: I just thought, even though we\'re only 11 miles from Branson, this man can\'t be the country music icon I thought he was. Anyway, after a while, it was getting close to time, so I headed to the car to get my gun. Leaned up against a pickup on my way there was the man I had saw at lunch. I couldn\'t help it, I had to ask him... \"Excuse me sir, what\'s your name?\" He replies, \"VanDyke\". You\'d have thought I just won the shoot or something! \"Mr. Leroy VanDyke?\" \"Yes, mam\". He had came to watch his son shoot. The whole rest of the day, I had the Auctioneer Song stuck in my head. He was also kind enough to send an autograph home with me to give to my dad, (an auctioneer).But anyway, back to the shoot. The folks I was on the sqaud with were very nice! They even let me ride on their golf cart :D The targets this time seemed harder than those from last month\'s event. They even threw in some rabbits this time. There were 100 targets, and I shot a whopping 37 of them. They all said that I did better than the other beginners, but 37% just doesn\'t seem good enough for me. I guess it just takes time to get better, though. They didn\'t figure who placed what since this was just a fun shoot, but I did win a raffle: a Fiocchi coffee cup :cheers: I had a blast at this shoot; and the best part is, together, we raised $10,612.25 for Autism Speaks :clap: And, what better way to do it than by shooting!!! post-1204-139589296455_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589296457_thumb.jpg*EDITED 07-17-11* - Here are the scores that they just posted on their website. My name is in yellow:Autism Shoot 2011Name/ScoreMickey Roberts 95 1st ALJ Duke 94 2nd AEd Skeins 90 3rd AWade Graham 90Steve Daffron 90Tommy Curry 89Mike Rowland 88Mike Darr 87Austin Tilley 85Steve Farris 84Dave Haubein 82Pat Criger 82Tim Goldsmith 82Bill Howell 81Dan Beeman 81Greg Mattos 81John Winters 81Jerry Lippold 80Jim Bogart 80Johnny DiSanti 80Craig Oliver 79Phyllis Darr 79Phil Young 79Eric Allie 78Kevin Harp 78David Foreman 78Ben Cummings 77Jonas Rabel 77Jason Evenden 76Ben Vandyke 76Don Reeves 75Matt Oelke 75Darold Schmoll 74Joe Rosenthal 74Brian LaPlant 73 1st BDarlene Roberts 73 2nd BSheila Howard 73 3rd BJim Lawson 73Pam Harp 72Galen Morgan 72John Thomas 71Tim Baker 71Davy Wooton 70John Hash 70Dave Standage 67Neil Winters 67Bob Yunger 66Caleb Adams 65Harry Lee Beste 65Dave Westlin 64Ron Powers 64Helen Beeman 63Kody Finstad 63Mickey O\'Guinn 63Niko Temofeew 63Randy Friga 63Randy Maune 63Josh Farris 62Matthew Mantle 62Carl Guenther 61Brent Harms 60Wes Oelke 60Barbara Rowland 59Casey Yunger 59Jim Grace 59Gene Richart 58Janet Reeves 58Richard Temofeew 58Mark Haas 57Richard Laufer 57Mike McGauley 56Ira Hutchison 55 1st CRon Rabel 55 2nd CJim Oelke 55 3rd CGreg Clift 54Cason McIntyre 53Randall Powers 52Willie Maxwell 51Aaron Sader 50Matt Madsen 50Terry Passmore 50Kent Kelso 49Nathan Depoy 49Ann Haubein 47Jake Spain 46Howard Foreman 46Bob Linch 46Jimmy Morris 45Ivan Eftink 44Matt Franklin 44Jim Morris 44Ellie Rusciano 40Linda Schmoll 40Shane Santo 39Ty Rusley 39Loren Kelso 38Gunner Morgan 37Jessie Perkins 37Cheri Warner 35Luke Haas 34Reid Worley 34Pat Uakrur 29Dianne Richart 26Connie Detoni 23Richie Hutson 22Dale Detoni 21Elizabeth Uakrur 11

June 6th, 2011************Fresh Caught Pond FishSo, my brother went fishing twice this past week without inviting me :duh: The first day he caught eleven bass and five crappie. The next day, he caught six bass and six crappie. Since he didn\'t take his favorite little sister with him, he brought me his second day\'s catch, (and even cleaned them for me :smilebig:). They were pretty good sized for pond fish, too!Tonight, I finally got the chance to fry \'em up. I battered some of them in Uncle Buck\'s Light and Crispy, some in corn startch, and still have plenty left in the freezer! AND, Mom fried some taters, and broke out a cantelope to go with them :thumbup: I just love fresh fish! I need to make a trip down to Forsyth and invest in some more Butt Rub, (it\'s a lot more delicious than it sounds)! Oh, and I didn\'t do it this time, but if you\'ve never put mustard in your batter, you need to try it! I don\'t know what I was thinking not doing that tonight :Dpost-1204-139589296733_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589296734_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589296735_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589296737_thumb.jpg

June 21st, 2011*************Fishin\' with my Daddy!!!Since Dad turns 60 this Thursday, I wanted to get him something special. A few weeks ago, he said that he was done with fishing, because he can\'t see well enough to tie on a hook, or watch the bobber, (he lost most of his vision in Viet Nam). So... I\'ve spent the past two weeks trying to find a Zebco 33 Bite Alert, (it flashes and rings when a fish tugs on the line). I\'ve searched and searched, and the only store closer than an hour away that carries this rod/reel is out of stock and unsure when they\'ll get any more in. So, yesterday I decided that I was going to have to order one online. I found a site that had the combo for about the same cost that Wal-Mart sells the reel alone for, (when they have it)... and was 1/2 the price of the combo from Wal-Mart. I went to add it to my cart, and I just so happened to notice that this company is in Springfield :cool: So, today I went and picked it up, and they even threw in some catfish bait and a spare battery. I also got him a tackle box and filled it plum full of goodies; including some swivels so he won\'t have to tie a hook/lure every time he wants to change it.Anyhow, I couldn\'t take the suspense, so I went ahead and gave him his gifts a couple of days early. He loved them so much, that he didn\'t waste any time in telling me to go get my gear so we could fish this afternoon/evening! He caught one on his first cast just as soon as his lure hit the water, and did that several times. He let several go, and a couple spit his lure out, but between the two of us, we had six keepers. My oldest brother also showed up, and added one keeper to the bucket. I absolutley love catching fighters with my light-weight pole, but I honestly think I had more fun watching Dad enjoy himself :thumbup::cheers:post-1204-139589297399_thumb.jpg post-1204-1395892974_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589297401_thumb.jpg

June 22nd, 2011*************Pond Fishing: Day 2Well, Dad decided we needed to go fishing again this afternoon, and I sure wasn\'t going to argue with that! On the way there, I stopped to buy some worms, and when I got back to the car, Dad informed me that we were taking my one-year-old nephew with us. I figured I\'d be chasing him all over creation, but he actually stayed pretty interested. I didn\'t catch a thing... I was too busy taking pics of all the fish Eli and Papa caught... which is a good problem :thumbup: We all had such a good time! Eli wanted to hold the fish and work the reel just like his Papa. I\'d almost bet that Dad will be braggin\' on his little fishing buddy to all the guys for weeks to come! post-1204-139589297407_thumb.jpg

June 28th, 2011*************New Rifle!This is a little delayed; my internet got hit by lightening. So, I\'m just going to try to write this out on my phone...While waiting to be released to return to work the past couple of years, I\'ve been helping my dad with his auction. I don\'t \"work\" for him, I just help out. Well, last week he handed me a Henry Golden Boy 22LR, and said I had worked real hard in this heat the week before, and I deserved a new gun :thumbup: How cool is that?!? So anyway, I took it out to the farm, and it is an absolute blast to shoot! I can\'t seem to see the front sight if I\'m farther than 25 yards away, but at that distance, I put 150 rounds in the bullseye ;) I love to shoot, and this gun has instantly became one of my favorite plinkers... I just love a lever gun!I hope this is readable! I can\'t see what I\'m writing on my phone :duh:SassyRed post-1204-139589297639_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958929764_thumb.jpg

July 4th, 2011***********Trail Cam IssuesDad and I went to check our three trail cams today; well, technically two, because I lost the tiny battery cover screw out of one of them. While walking to our cams, we jumped a doe and her fawn about 80 yards from where we usually set up one of our blinds. I thought that was a real good sign that we\'d have pics! Then I got real excited when I saw all the deer sign right in front of both cams, and a new bedding area right behind one of the cams! Unfortunately, neither cam was working :duh: I know they were when I hung them, but for some reason the batteries were low with no pics :puzzled: And, I bought batteries yesterday, but accidentally grabbed the wrong ones when I left the house :freak: We freshend up the C\'mere Deer anyway, and I took the cam home that I had lost the screw out of. Kind of aggrivating to walk through the woods in this heat, see a lot of sign, and have cam issues! But, on the plus side, I fixed the battery cover when I got home, and have this cam working again. And, I\'ll get back out there this week with the right batteries for the other cams and see if I can\'t get those cams back to working. Hopefully the heat drained the batteries and that\'s what the issue with not having pics was, because there\'s way too much action in those areas to not get any pics!SassyRed

July 13th, 2011************Gearing Up For Bow Season!!!I got into bow hunting last year, and was using a bow that was made in the 1980\'s. Although I didn\'t bring any meat home with me, something about hunting in archery season really excited me! I\'ve been wanting a new bow, (as I have been told they\'re much easier to use than my old garage sale special), but I didn\'t want to spend an arm and leg for one. So, last week I was looking through the Bass Pro flier that had came in the mail, and noticed that they had a youth bow, (the Barnett Vortex), on sale for only $130! After researching this bow, I came to find that it had everything the other smaller bows had to offer, but was MUCH cheaper. So, on Sunday, I went to the Perferred Members Only Event at Bass Pro to check this bow out. I figured if nothing else, I\'d still get the free fishing lure for showing up :cool: When I saw the bow, it looked just as good as the more expensive ones, and with a 27\" draw length, and a 45 pound draw weight, this bow was perfect for me! They set it all up for me, and the only thing I had to buy for it was a peep sight. AND, since it was during a Members Only Event, I got triple rewards points, and an extra $10 off :woohoo:Mom and Dad had went with me, and had alligator tail waiting for me at Hemmingways, and then we went to Outback for dinner. So, by the time we got home, it was too dark to shoot my new bow :cry: So on Monday, I got up early; all excited to try it out! I couldn\'t believe the difference from my old bow. The old one is set at 30 pounds, and I always had trouble holding it at full draw. This Barnett Vortex is set at 45 pounds, and I can handle it just fine! The only thing I didn\'t like was the arrow rest the bow came with. It\'s rather cheaply made, and doesn\'t hold the arrows in place at all. So yesterday, (Tuesday), I super-glued a level onto an old arrow so that I could put the whisker bisquet from my old bow on my new one myself. Ha! I actually did it right, too! After doing that, I was shooting the center out of my target at 15 yards. I plan on setting my other two pins at 20 and 30 yards, but it was just entirely too hot to keep messing with it yesterday.It may be a youth bow that only cost me $120, but I\'m awful proud of it! And, as long as the weather allows it, I\'ll be practicing with this thing everyday. I can\'t wait til bow season now, and I sure can\'t wait to see if maybe I can harvest my first archery deer with my new bow this year :grd:post-1204-139589297638_thumb.jpg

July 24th, 2011************Webster County FairLast Sunday, one of my nieces, (age 9), and two of my nephews (ages 7 and 4), came over and stayed until Wednesday to get things ready to enter in our County Fair. We made decor out of old horseshoes, put together their collections of bulls, horses, and rocks, painted wooden toys and sun-catchers, my mom helped them make masks and a piggy bank out of old milk/bleach jugs, and my oldest niece came over to help them decorate their cakes. We made a ton of stuff! Of course, the boys decided they\'d rather eat their cakes than enter them, so Emily\'s was the only one to make it to the fair :roll: Anyway, the fair\'s theme this year was \"Go Green\", so we made several crafts out of recycled items, and we entered our Girl Scout troop\'s bird house, (which I mentioned in an earlier blog entry). We had such a good time together, and each of them won several ribbons, (including blues :clap:), which really excited them :thumbup:I also entered a few things. I entered one of my hand-crafted, Wing-Bone Turkey Calls, (which won a blue ribbon), as well as several photos I have taken this past year. Attatched is a pic of my turkey call, and a few of my photos. I entered a lot more pics, but the others aren\'t outdoor-related, so that\'s why I didn\'t post them here. And, we took pics of the kids with their entries, but their parents don\'t want them posted on the internet - sorry :(The kids had such a blast, that they\'ve decided they\'re all going to start making a list of the crafts they want to make, so they can get a head-start on their entries for next year :grd:SassyRed post-1204-139589298325_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298326_thumb.jpg

July 24th, 2011************Flinging Arrows and Casting LinesToday when we got home from picking our entries up from the fair, I decided to set my other two pins on my new bow. Luckily, my top pin is good for 10 yards all the way up to 20 yards! I set the second one for 25 yards, and the third pin is now set for 30 yards. So far, I\'m shooting it pretty well; 3-4 inch groups on average. The only issue I had is the huge, (now blue), whelp on my left arm from the string hitting it. It didn\'t sting until I looked at it, and after I showed Dad the whelp, he handed me an arm-gaurd he had laying around :duh: I sure wish I\'d have know he had that snooner, lol! But on the plus side, I think if I continue to practice, I\'ll have a pretty good chance of taking my first archery deer this year, (that is, IF the deer cooperate)!A few hours later, Dad asked if I wanted to go fishing... what a silly question :D We figured that since there was a storm heading our way, the fish would be biting like crazy. We got a few bites, but didn\'t catch a thing. And Dad had one he was reeling in that was almost up to the bank, but it spit the lure out. Oh, well. We still had a great time together! And, not long after we got there, we saw a doe about 100 yards to the North of us. Then about 30-45 minutes before we left, there were two bucks, (a four-point, and a really wide - possibly - 10 point that I\'m sure I have pics of from last year), in the same spot, only going the opposite direction :thumbup:Overall, I\'d have to say that I had a pretty great day! The funny thing is, I had a HUGE headache, but as soon as we got to the pond, it all went away. I love how the outdoors does that for me ;)SassyRed post-1204-139589298338_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298339_thumb.jpg post-1204-13958929834_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298341_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298342_thumb.jpg

July 25th, 2011************I\'m Getting Better!I\'ve been practicing with my bow again, and my patterns are getting tighter! I was so proud of myself, then Dad came out and reminded me that I get buck fever something fierce. He said just about anyone can hit their target at a relaxed state, and that I needed to somehow simmulate shooting with buck fever. That reminded me of all the firearms training I\'ve had, and how they always have us run to get our heart rates up, (while practicing shooting in stressfull situations). So... I decided to run around the yard a couple of times, and then try to put three arrows in the target as fast as I could. I did this exercise twice, and both times my first shot was a little high, but I was satisfied with my last two shots. I now plan on doing this exercise every time I practice shooting. And, hopefully by opening day of season, this will have given me better control over \"the fever\" :thumbup:SassyRedP.S. - The first pic is from shooting in a relaxed state, and the second was taken after I had got my heart rate way up there... post-1204-139589298364_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298366_thumb.jpg

August 4th, 2011**************And, so it begins!!!My brother and his wife recently decided that my seven-year-old nephew is now old enough to have a BB gun. And, since Dad had a pretty nice Crossman sitting around, he decided he\'d give it to Silas. So, Thursday I mounted a scope on it, and got it all zeroed in. Let me tell ya, it took longer to sight that thing in than it did my deer rifle... even with a bore-sighter! Anyway, after I got it all set up, we went ahead and took it out to my brother\'s house. Silas was sooo excited! The stock is a little long for him right now, but he shot where he was aiming every time :grd: And, after he and his four-year-old little brother killed a cardboard box with it, Sam, (my four-year-old nephew), decided that he wants a camo BB gun when he gets old enough :thumbup: Right now, Sam has to have his non-dominant eye held shut, but he\'s quite the sharp-shooter, too! The one year old wasn\'t real happy that he didn\'t get to join in, but before too long, we\'ll have a new generation of deer slayers in the deer woods with us!!! post-1204-139589298516_thumb.jpg post-1204-139589298515_thumb.jpg