ShoMeOutdoors Forums
Sign in to follow this  
username

They found our elk!

Last summer I was talking with one of our local agents about this, and the bears in Missouri. He said seasons for both are way closer than most people think. I was told that Missouri would start having a VERY limited drawing hunt for elk very soon after stocking. I know other states have done this, and started with something like 5 tags their first year! It would be like winning the lottery, but I think we will be seeing the change to apply for a drawing within a few years..On another note, he also mentioned that there will also likely be a limited drawing for bears as well in the near future.. If I remember right, when the state feels our state population of bears has reached the 500 mark(I think) there could possibly be consideration for tag applications??

If I had to guess......I\'d say that they\'ll use the \"point system\" like they do on managed hunts. I think that\'s one of the best ideas that they\'ve ever came up with concerning tag availability. -------don\'t get drawn this year, you get preference points for next year.